Call me Caitlyn

June 2, 2015, 9:58 p.m.

I hate it that Bruce Jenner destroyed the bike shop walk-in repair. I hope he's proud of himself now.

Caitlyn Jenner didn't destroy anything. That was all Notley.

June 2, 2015, 10:03 p.m.

If I didn't just move here and had tools (had to sell them to save weight on the plane) I would, and I will, don't worry, tools and a stand are on my list. I understand how it is, I was just shocked that they wanted a full week for a crank install, it seemed like a long time for a simple job, 3 PC bmx crank.. Think about it, not much work is it? Not like they are performing a sex change operation…either way, they got it done and I'm thankful, it was their work that got me out on the trails for the first time since moving here.

No, you think about it.

Every.single.minute. of the mechanic's time for the next week had already been booked solid. How is that shocking? Yeah it's a 30 minute job but the next time they had 30 minutes free wasn't for a week. I think there might just be more people in Vancouver looking for bike repairs than sex change operations.

arrrgghhh it's such a fucking simple concept… Do you bitch when you go to a completely full restaurant and are told to wait for a free table? It's just dinner..simple job right? :stupid:

www.natooke.com

June 2, 2015, 10:37 p.m.

Know what's fun? Don't read a thread until it's four or five pages in and start backwards.

From what I can tell, some dude is now a chick and something about crank installs and a mechanics time. Can't wait to see how we got there.

June 2, 2015, 10:55 p.m.

No, you think about it.

Every.single.minute. of the mechanic's time for the next week had already been booked solid. How is that shocking? Yeah it's a 30 minute job but the next time they had 30 minutes free wasn't for a week. I think there might just be more people in Vancouver looking for bike repairs than sex change operations.

arrrgghhh it's such a fucking simple concept… Do you bitch when you go to a completely full restaurant and are told to wait for a free table? It's just dinner..simple job right? :stupid:

We all work with tight deadlines and have customers who get frustrated when we get busy, whether we are bike mechanics, sex change surgeons or packaging designers - are you going to tell me you're never the frustrated customer? I'm sorry for poorly venting my frustration over the situation, it was just not what I had expected, not like I was a dick to them about it, I waited and thanked them like everyone else.

June 3, 2015, 12:29 a.m.

So Jenner needed a gender change, and singlecoil a crank change. The latter was more difficult. Got it.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 3, 2015, 1:09 a.m.

We all work with tight deadlines and have customers who get frustrated when we get busy, whether we are bike mechanics, sex change surgeons or packaging designers - are you going to tell me you're never the frustrated customer? I'm sorry for poorly venting my frustration over the situation, it was just not what I had expected, not like I was a dick to them about it, I waited and thanked them like everyone else.

Fair enough. In the future remember that offerings of beer will often make mechanics happy to stay after closing so you can at least get your bike back next day, same day sometimes. I (and many other ex-mechs) have been known in the past to skip lunch breaks when a cold six-pack was involved. Not because of the beer, but because of the message the offering sends.

And sorry i found this topic more engaging than the OP. I care about as much about a celebrity getting a sex change as I do about which color t-shirt somebody chooses to wear. In this day and age it should be a non-issue which deserves neither criticism or praise.

www.natooke.com

June 3, 2015, 6:47 a.m.

Do it your fucking self.

If a shop is telling you to wait a week that means there are already 48 hours worth of repairs, per mechanic, who brought their bikes in ahead of you. Bike shops have repair schedules and every mechanic's day is already blocked full of repairs well in advance All day people are wandering in saying "oh can you just do this small thing?" If the mechanics handled all the small jobs on the spot they would run out of time to fix the bikes that have already been sitting in the shop for days and already been promised a pick-up time.

You want same day turn-around? Bring your bike in the winter.

Add in shop owners who walk up to mechanics telling the mechanic to drop the other 4 repairs that need to be done now he claimed for this one that has to be done now.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 3, 2015, 7:23 a.m.

Fair enough. In the future remember that offerings of beer will often make mechanics happy to stay after closing so you can at least get your bike back next day, same day sometimes. I (and many other ex-mechs) have been known in the past to skip lunch breaks when a cold six-pack was involved. Not because of the beer, but because of the message the offering sends.

And sorry i found this topic more engaging than the OP. I care about as much about a celebrity getting a sex change as I do about which color t-shirt somebody chooses to wear. In this day and age it should be a non-issue which deserves neither criticism or praise.

Well said with that last point man, I was actually seriously contemplating bringing beer in as well, but there were two mechanics and one was under age so I was like … Unsure if appropriate. Beer also motivates me to stay after hours lol, I pulled an 11 hour day the other day after being offered some lol.

June 3, 2015, 9:18 a.m.

"You see, Caitlyn, when you were a man, we could talk about your athleticism, your business acumen. But now you're a woman, which means your looks are really the only thing we care about."-Jon Stewart

Interesting to see how the coverage of Caitlyn Jenner immediately descended into a conversation about looks and fuckability. Welcome to being a women indeed!

http://mic.com/articles/120033/jon-stewart-made-a-brilliant-point-about-caitlyn-jenner-that-nobody-s-talking-about

http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/video/player?vid=624469

Goin' Down?

June 3, 2015, 10:06 a.m.

I walked into north shore bike shop on Lonsdale last weekend and they serviced my bike in a half day and I'm not a regular customer.

Based on the level of service I received I'll definitely be returning.

Not saying everyone would have the same experience or that I'll get the same level of service next time.

June 3, 2015, 2:03 p.m.

Interesting to see how the coverage of Caitlyn Jenner immediately descended into a conversation about looks and fuckability. Welcome to being a women indeed!

What do we know about Chaz Bono other than how he looks?

June 3, 2015, 2:44 p.m.

I walked into north shore bike shop on Lonsdale last weekend and they serviced my bike in a half day and I'm not a regular customer.

based on the subject of this thread, were you dressed as a woman?

June 3, 2015, 3:10 p.m.

To summarize:

gender reassignment surgeons [HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED] bike shop mechanics

except when it comes to re-packing the old parts.

[HTML_REMOVED]End of Thread[HTML_REMOVED]

June 8, 2015, 10:33 a.m.

Maybe it was the reality TV, but I wasn't too moved by Jenner's public transformation. Anyway, thought about the above sentiments when reading the following.

What Makes a Woman

People who haven’t lived their whole lives as women, whether Ms. Jenner or Mr. Summers, shouldn’t get to define us. That’s something men have been doing for much too long. And as much as I recognize and endorse the right of men to throw off the mantle of maleness, they cannot stake their claim to dignity as transgender people by trampling on mine as a woman.

Their truth is not my truth. Their female identities are not my female identity. They haven’t traveled through the world as women and been shaped by all that this entails. They haven’t suffered through business meetings with men talking to their breasts or woken up after sex terrified they’d forgotten to take their birth control pills the day before. They haven’t had to cope with the onset of their periods in the middle of a crowded subway, the humiliation of discovering that their male work partners’ checks were far larger than theirs, or the fear of being too weak to ward off rapists.

June 8, 2015, 4:40 p.m.

^^^^ Well quoted, Henry.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada: