Buying another motorbike.....

Sept. 28, 2011, 9:35 a.m.

I was a Buell guy for a few years, they are very fun machines. But they are Harley's and particularly the older ones need pretty steady tinkering. I had an X1 Lightning, it never gave me any problems but needed a top end rebuild at 10K and that's pretty typical. They handle extremely well are very fun to ride.

Top end at 10k??? Holy sheet!

Lately I've been all hot bothered about getting a dual sport bike, like a 690r or something. Jesus that's a nice bike. Bryon Enns has one and he's proved it can be ridden almost anywhere a regular dirtbike can, but its got enough balls for the street.

Sept. 28, 2011, 10:49 a.m.

I'd like a supermoto.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 28, 2011, 11:17 a.m.

A few less farkles, little bit lower bars, would be fun.

Sept. 30, 2011, 6 a.m.

Thanks for all the input guys. Going to do some more Buell research and then make a decision from there.

I was a Buell guy for a few years, they are very fun machines. But they are Harley's and particularly the older ones need pretty steady tinkering. I had an X1 Lightning, it never gave me any problems but needed a top end rebuild at 10K and that's pretty typical. They handle extremely well are very fun to ride.

What made you get rid of it Dave? 10 000 is spooky early. Wonder if this is common? I always thought the sportster motors were fairly reliable by Harley standards. Especially the 1200's. Would you do it again?

Sept. 30, 2011, 6:59 a.m.

Thanks for all the input guys. Going to do some more Buell research and then make a decision from there.

What made you get rid of it Dave? 10 000 is spooky early. Wonder if this is common? I always thought the sportster motors were fairly reliable by Harley standards. Especially the 1200's. Would you do it again?

I wanted something a bit more hardcore sportbike and bought a Suzuki TL1000R. I love the power delivery of the big twins.

My memory may be off, it was 10 years ago and the number may have been 16000k (10k miles) but still it's fairly early. Yes the sporty twins are reliable, the bottom ends and trannies are pretty solid but the top ends weren't really designed to take the higher revs that a sport bike uses. The good thing about it all is top end rebuilds are pretty simple, and if your good at this sort of thing (which it sounds like you are) you could do it yourself. The Harley/Buell relationship is closer than just the parts. It's a bike that has soul, one of those things that you tinker and play with, polish and clean.

Would I do it again….yes probably. The newer Buells use an new powerplant.

If you want to know everything there is to know about Buell, old and new, stop in at Trev Deeley and ask for Stuart Wells. He's an awesome guy and has been with Buell since the beginning. Say hi for me too, I haven't seen him in too many years.

Sept. 30, 2011, 9:30 a.m.

no more new Buells

http://www.buell.com/en_US/home.html

Sept. 30, 2011, 9:57 a.m.

Wanna buy a Buell? Dive for it :lol:

I blew up my KTM motor again so I bought a DRZ a little while back… very inexpensive but it's a rather sleepy bike in stock form.

Ride More Bitch Less

Sept. 30, 2011, 10:21 a.m.

You can get 50hp out of a DR-Z400 with some tinkering.

Sept. 30, 2011, 10:35 a.m.

Yepper, with a lot of money and time. It's still lipstick on a pig though :lol:

I prefer my smoker bike… wash 'n wear

Ride More Bitch Less

Sept. 30, 2011, 11:04 a.m.

For $4G's, get a CBR929RR or CBR954RR if you get lucky. CBRs are pretty much hassle free from a maintenance perspective (ie big ticket items). Lots of power, handle great, and would cruise on the highway with ease. Great bike for the money.

:canada: :england:

Sept. 30, 2011, 11:23 a.m.

For $4G's, get a CBR929RR or CBR954RR if you get lucky. CBRs are pretty much hassle free from a maintenance perspective (ie big ticket items). Lots of power, handle great, and would cruise on the highway with ease. Great bike for the money.

I rode a 954 back from Squamish once. I rolled on the throttle for a few gears and then looked down and saw 200+, that was like, whoa I'm gonna shit my pants. That is a lot of bike.

flickr

Sept. 30, 2011, 8:01 p.m.

i had friend with an older buell. Fun bike to ride but he was always fixing some minor thing. the vtwin seems to shake that bike apart. Why not have a look at the honda 599 or 919. virtually maintenance free and very fun to ride. KTM duke would be something else to look at.

Sept. 30, 2011, 9:55 p.m.

Loopsrider, I have heard that the Ducati's are finicky maintenance wise and quite expensive for parts. Have you found this? Otherwise, I did not know they could be had for such a reasonable price. I do like the naked/streetfighter look.

The older Ducati Superbikes gave Ducati in general a bad name as far as maintainance costs and reliability. They were made for the track…not putt-putting around town. They are pretty to look at, but expensive to ride. The Monsters however are pretty solid bikes and reasonably priced. I originally went in to pick up a Triumph Speed Triple that I had my eye on, but they had sold the one I wanted… the salesman said " How about a Monster?" I laughed thinking they were crazy priced but they weren't too bad. It's also a different crowd that rides Monsters… definitely not Starbucks poser crowd that haunts the Ducati name.. :lol:

I bought mine new and in 10,000km all I've had to repair was a bad TPS sensor that went faulty after I washed the bike. I think I hit it with the wash wand so it was probably my fault. The good thing about street bikes is a LOT of them get wrecked and go for salvage. Ducati wanted $350 for the sensor (Yeah..OEM Duc parts are stupidly priced) and I picked up an entire throttle body/TPS off a wrecked bike for $50… Could have got it fixed under warranty but didn't feel like dragging it over to the Kelowna dealership.

Anyhoo… I'll stop my public display of affection for Ducati now… :lol:

10K top ends are normal for the Buells?? Seriously?? Guys are getting 50K+ out of The Duc V-twins…

Sept. 30, 2011, 10:12 p.m.

10K top ends are normal for the Buells?? Seriously?? Guys are getting 50K+ out of The Duc V-twins…

10k miles, but yeah. That was for the early ones that still used the sporty powerplant. There's all the technology of a lawnmower in there

Sept. 30, 2011, 11 p.m.

Roadstar Warrior? A bit bigger and less sporty than you were thinking but I could really see you on one of these!