Buying and sell stocks/shares

Nov. 3, 2016, 11:29 p.m.

Looking to start buying shares in junior mining outfits, not investing 10s of thousands,
Q trade?

Nov. 4, 2016, 4:39 a.m.

Understand your trading fees and the highly concentrated risks of buying individual stocks. Unless you want to hear more, that's all the opinion I'll provide on the risks you're proposing.

As for brokerage fees, that's what you can control. Know your minimum account value fee if applicable, and know your trading commissions as a percentage of each transaction.

Here's a quick comparison chart.

http://www.moneysense.ca/canadian-online-brokers-at-a-glance/

Warning - subscriber content. It'll let you visit 4 pages per month for free. Take a screenshot.

Nov. 4, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

Looking to start buying shares in junior mining outfits, not investing 10s of thousands,
Q trade?

Not to be a dick, but I want to make it clear that buying (and presumably) selling junior mining shares is not really "investing". It's speculating at best and gambling at its worst. You can make money trading shit companies with no assets and compelling story true, but the "investing" part starts after they prove up a reserve, get the permits and build the mine.

If you are buying on touts (my buddy knows so and so, or I know a guy, I heard that etc) be wary. Nobody does anybody a favor in that business. Most of these guys make money marketing shares and stories. They nail a hole then its back to the well for financing and the stock finds its way lower…… spend the $ for another hole and rinse repeat. No one will tell you when to sell, and that information can be problematic at times (insider trading).

Use discounters for trading. They are all about the same give or take.

My two cents.

Nov. 4, 2016, 1:29 p.m.

I use Questrade.

Nov. 4, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

I went skiing with some of those guys promoters [HTML_REMOVED] prospectors and they were interesting to say the least

the promoter told me you got a real good chance of losing your investment and maybe 10% chance of making money

the prospector was there when juan guzman possibly over salted the bre-ex claim with shavings from his wedding band, then one day a different heli pilot than usual showed up and that was the day juan "committed suicide" by jumping out over the jungle … or something

kiss your money good bye before you invest it in juniors so you will never be disappointed

Nov. 4, 2016, 2:06 p.m.

Not to be a dick, but I want to make it clear that buying (and presumably) selling junior mining shares is not really "investing". It's speculating at best and gambling at its worst. You can make money trading shit companies with no assets and compelling story true, but the "investing" part starts after they prove up a reserve, get the permits and build the mine.

If you are buying on touts (my buddy knows so and so, or I know a guy, I heard that etc) be wary. Nobody does anybody a favor in that business. Most of these guys make money marketing shares and stories. They nail a hole then its back to the well for financing and the stock finds its way lower…… spend the $ for another hole and rinse repeat. No one will tell you when to sell, and that information can be problematic at times (insider trading).

This. If it's gambling, make sure to risk only as much as you can afford to lose.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 4, 2016, 3:42 p.m.

I work intimately with junior miners, but get a paycheque instead of losing my shirt. And yet I still lose my shirt. It's ruthless but it's work.

If you are looking to trade, with no option of buying private placements or having a momentum trader make suggestions to your trading, get an online brokerage. They are all pretty much the same, ranging from free trades to 29.99. But its all the same. You basically have no level 2 access and you can't really dictate your buying, you just pick a bid or set an offer and some other broker fills the trade for you.

If you want to have the option of buying PP's and putting them into a tfsa (which is where you want to deposit all your Jr mining shit) then you will want a broker with a reputable firm. I recommend for Jr mining you stick with the guys who do that best, and there are only about 5 left in the city.

I also hate the term Junior Mining, because none of them are mining. They are just exploring, and its a 1 in 1000 return. So prepare to lose your shirt. Essentially all you are doing in this type of "investing" is avoiding big losses.

Nov. 4, 2016, 3:48 p.m.

.They are just exploring, and its a 1 in 1000 return. So prepare to lose your shirt. Essentially all you are doing in this type of "investing" is avoiding big losses.

I quoted the often thrown around quote that 1 in thousand claims becomes a mine and buddy promoter suggested the odds were [HTML_REMOVED] than that

Nov. 4, 2016, 4:01 p.m.

They've all echoed my opinion I didn't feel you were asking for.

I could see doing this in a taxable account if you need to claim some losses vs your other capital gains taxes. But only after TFSA and RSP are maxed with a diversified portfolio.

Nov. 4, 2016, 8:37 p.m.

They've all echoed my opinion I didn't feel you were asking for.

I could see doing this in a taxable account if you need to claim some losses vs your other capital gains taxes. But only after TFSA and RSP are maxed with a diversified portfolio.

Nope your post nailed it, but lines of credit are for gambling with.

Nov. 4, 2016, 8:52 p.m.

but lines of credit are for gambling with.

And buying new sleds every year.

Nov. 4, 2016, 8:52 p.m.

Nope your post nailed it, but lines of credit are for gambling with.

i'd argue that unless you have 12 months of living expenses available in cash in the bank then you have nothing to gamble with.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 4, 2016, 8:53 p.m.

i'd argue that unless you have 12 months of living expenses available in cash in the bank then you have nothing to gamble with.

I'd retort with that the internet is serious business.

Nov. 4, 2016, 8:54 p.m.

I'd retort with that the internet is serious business.

you'll see in 6 months.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 4, 2016, 8:57 p.m.

I'm trolling you. Jesus. I should sell the plane and stop looking at helicopters too. lol