Buying an American Import

Feb. 28, 2012, 8:21 p.m.

Where do you guys do your searches for used cars in the US if buying independently (ie. non-dealer)? eBay? Craigslist? I'm interested in a full size SUV and the prices are killer locally. Also, I assume you guys are paying cash, right? If you are getting car loans, do the banks care that you're buying in the US? Or do you just use a LOC?

:canada: :england:

Feb. 28, 2012, 9:13 p.m.

Where do you guys do your searches for used cars in the US if buying independently (ie. non-dealer)? eBay? Craigslist? I'm interested in a full size SUV and the prices are killer locally. Also, I assume you guys are paying cash, right? If you are getting car loans, do the banks care that you're buying in the US? Or do you just use a LOC?

I found the one I bought on Craigslist. I paid with a US bank draft from my Cdn bank.

Feb. 28, 2012, 9:47 p.m.

Banks will not give you a car loan to purchase in the US but they will let you use a LOC, that's what I did. I was looking for a Tacoma so I just searched the used vehicle vehicle list on the Toyota website. I bought from a dealer that sells a lot of vehicles to Canadians so they did most of the paperwork for me and sent it to the border.

Feb. 28, 2012, 9:47 p.m.

Well I was all prepared to buy a use American import. I'd done enough research now that I know what's a good price for any given year based on mileage and trim level of model. If you've got the time and extra cash for transport, some good deals out of Texas on eBay auto's.

But now that I know how to recognize a good price, I actually found what I was looking for right here in Vancouver. A friend heard I was looking for an Xterra and it just so happens he had one that he had leased, then bought out the lease when it ran out back in November. Now he wants a brand new one again for his buiseness….. so Im picking up a sweet 06 Xterra on Friday with only 62km. Beauty thing is I actually know the guy so there's a bit of piece of mind know its history.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Feb. 28, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

Well I was all prepared to buy a use American import. I'd done enough research now that I know what's a good price for any given year based on mileage and trim level of model. If you've got the time and extra cash for transport, some good deals out of Texas on eBay auto's.

The bonus of buying a car from TX, FL or CA is that you can be almost certain that it never spent a lot of time in road salt… I've seen some really nice 4Runners from FL that were obviously driven around as if they were Camrys. Why people would buy a fully loaded 4x4 4Runner in FL, I don't know, but if somebody wants to buy a used one that's never been taken off road, that's a good place to look.

It costs about $850 USD to ship a car all the way across the continent, last time I checked. Less for shorter distances.

There are several places in Blaine where you can pay to rent parking space for cars while they do the 72-hour wait. One of the mini-storage places in Blaine has a parking lot full of cars waiting to go to BC.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Feb. 28, 2012, 10:41 p.m.

Banks will not give you a car loan to purchase in the US but they will let you use a LOC, that's what I did. I was looking for a Tacoma so I just searched the used vehicle vehicle list on the Toyota website. I bought from a dealer that sells a lot of vehicles to Canadians so they did most of the paperwork for me and sent it to the border.

would you by any chance remember which dealership that was.

This thread has me very interested.

Feb. 29, 2012, 12:40 a.m.

GM dealer in Port Moody will do it. I think it's called Eagleridge GMC. The guy I talked to said they'll find whatever you want.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 29, 2012, 1:12 a.m.

Vehicle specific forums are also a great place to look. Most of the time the car will be enthusiast owned and have a clean, maintained history.

I found mine through that way and haven't (really) looked back since.

Sober

Feb. 29, 2012, 9:19 p.m.

would you by any chance remember which dealership that was.

This thread has me very interested.

It was Foothills Toyota in Burlington Wa. I searched for my truck on http://www.toyotacertified.com/
I remember finding a few US dealers that had a Canadian customer section on their websites and they would also do the paperwork for the American side of the border. I just had to take care of the Canadian paperwork which was not a big deal.