buying a dog

May 19, 2011, 11:45 p.m.

I need to find a dog for a friend.

needs a medium-[HTML_REMOVED] small size dog.
needs to be:
smart
durable
fairly low shedding
children friendly

i need information on breeders, i dont want to buy from a pet shop as they will probably overcharge, and may have dogs that arent properly bred(correct me if im wrong)

thx in advanced.

May 20, 2011, 12:39 a.m.

Adopt.

May 20, 2011, 5:45 a.m.

I need to find a dog for a friend.

needs a medium-[HTML_REMOVED] small size dog.
needs to be:
smart
durable
fairly low shedding
children friendly

i need information on breeders, i dont want to buy from a pet shop as they will probably overcharge, and may have dogs that arent properly bred(correct me if im wrong)

thx in advanced.

this doesn't make any sense at all.

Tell your freind to find their own damn dog if they want one.

Pastor of Muppets

May 20, 2011, 5:46 a.m.

get them a dumb weak hair club candidate that eats babies.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 20, 2011, 7:42 a.m.

SPCA

May 20, 2011, 8:14 a.m.

SPCA

\thread.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

May 20, 2011, 8:17 a.m.

If your dead set on getting a pure breed narrow it down and look up one of the many rescue foundations for the breed you want.

May 20, 2011, 8:21 a.m.

There needs to be a connection between the dog and the new owner so ultimately, the new owner needs to be choosing the dog.

May 20, 2011, 8:54 a.m.

sorry , i'm not going to hook your friend up with any of the breeders i'm connected with because i have no idea of the type of owner he would be or the type of home situation the dog is going to be placed in .

however , if the friend is seriously interested in a pure bred dog then he should be doing a lot of research at the library or the internet , after first honestly evaluating his own life and the circumstances regarding how the dog will fit in . he should also have an absolutely clear , realistic idea of what he wants the dog to do . given all that , he needs to honestly evaluate if his skills as a dog owner will match his expectations .

after that , any of the established breeds should have a breeders directory ( google search ) . that is the place i would start to look , as , generally speaking , only reputable breeders who have the best interests of their chosen breed as their motivation for breeding will be listed there . those breeders will be the ones that will do the most screening for potential clients , as they want to be sure their dogs will be going to homes where their dogs will be able to live up to their full potential . stay away from backyard breeders advertising pure bred dogs . there are some exceptions , but often these are simply folks trying to cash in on the popularity of a particular breed . you should be able to see both parents as well as their pedigrees .

my advice would be for buddy to head down to any one of the shelters and do some volunteer dog walking to ( a ) get some experience , and ( b ) possibly make a connection with a life time canine companion .

hope that helps . . . dogz is srs bizness :lol:

May 20, 2011, 9:18 a.m.

Just tell them to go to the SPCA and get a random mutt that makes them feel happy. If they are serious they will make the dog fit into their life instead of the other way around because even pure breads don't come with guarantees on their personalities. It might need more time walking than they anticipated, or have a health issue. That is just the way it goes.

May 20, 2011, 9:42 a.m.

sorry chup , but even the spca won't release dogs into homes that easily . the screening process is quite extensive as they want to make sure that the dog will be going to the right home the first time . dogs that have been to more than one home ( for any number of reasons ) get harder and harder to place as people are reluctant to take on a dog that hasn't worked out previously .

i'll agree that a " random mutt " does have the potential to bring as much joy to a persons' life as the most expensive pure bred dog , but there general breed behaviour traits that will be carried from one generation to another in well planned breedings , which is one of the major reasons why one should deal with a reputable , established breeder when seeking a pure bred dog .

while you can learn a lot about a dog from several visits / walks , with a " random mutt " , you know nothing about his genetics ( health issues down the road , as well as mental stability over time ) or what behaviour " baggage " he might be bringing with him into the relationship . having said that , though , i respect anyone who takes in a rescued dog with the attitude of " i don't know you , you don't know me , but together we are going to make this work . . . let's get started "

May 20, 2011, 10:10 a.m.

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

This is how we found our most recent pet :) She has turned into the best pet ever!!!!!!

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen