Buying a car

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:19 a.m.

This time of year is tough. You could get a deal on stuff in inventory, or you could get the next greatest thing.

I've found that getting outside of the big city can help with the price. Dunno if that's just an Alberta thing though.

prices go up outside of the lower mainland..

less dealers in a area = no reason to lower prices…

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:37 a.m.

prices go up outside of the lower mainland..

less dealers in a area = no reason to lower prices…

We get the opposite in Alberta. Dealers know incomes are higher in the cities and there are way more people per dealer than in the country. Also, there's a convenience factor to shopping around town. As a result I've found prices are higher in the city.

Small town of 10,000 people might have 3 dealerships. Meanwhile city of 1M has 30. 100x more people and 10x more dealerships?

I'm making those numbers up but that's what I think is going on.

example: Calgary has 3 VW dealerships (1.1M people) and Lethbridge has 1 VW dealership (90,000 people). 3x more dealerships, 10x more people.

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:38 a.m.

Lots of people shop out in the Fraser Valley for better pricing.

Again, try a broker. They can often get you the best pricing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:06 a.m.

As with all car threads, it took a left turn at "well this is my favorite car - you should try that" and never looked back.

I signed up the for the carcostcanada reports - all it really told me is that there is about 1500 of wiggle room between the invoice price and msrp on both cars I'm looking at. Unfortunately I need to wait for the system to load the September incentives to get a better idea of what I may be looking at.

But the e-mail every dealer in a 50km radius idea seems pretty appealing (I think that's basically what unhaggle does for you).

That's what I kind of thought - I am looking at a new truck (thanks guys in advance - but I kind of have what I want picked out and no amount of "my-brothers-in-laws-cousins-aunt had one and it sucked/was awesome" is going to assist- and I really do like those conversations don't get me wrong- just not the information I am looking for at the moment).

The average person price was about what I was being offered. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that the dealer invoice was at all accurate? and if anyone had actually tried to get near or close to that price?

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:37 a.m.

The average person price was about what I was being offered. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that the dealer invoice was at all accurate? and if anyone had actually tried to get near or close to that price?

"Invoice price" doesn't mean what it used to. It's been a few years since I sold cars at a dealership but I'll share how it worked when I was "on the inside".

Invoice is meant to be the "cost" the dealership pays the manufacturer for the vehicle. However, there are a few fixed costs with every car (pre delivery inspection and delivery). As a subtraction there's a holdback the manufacturer keeps and releases back to the dealership to help cover the financing costs of the inventory (very few dealers actually buy their inventory). Next, you have the advertised cash backs from the manufacturer, in addition to any unpublished cash backs that might be offered to the dealer.

What does this mean?

You could pay "invoice" and there's still plenty of profit for the dealership. Thousand bucks holdback? advertised rebate? non advertised rebate? In this case "invoice" would be easy to get as it could leave a big profit for the dealer.

On another car, that isn't rebated, "invoice" could cost the dealer money (financing costs, PDI, and delivery) so in that case "invoice" would be very difficult to get.

Long story short "invoice" could be easy as pie or require some shrewd negotiating.

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

Again, try a broker. They can often get you the best pricing.

I think that's basically what unhaggle is attempting to do - an online broker of sorts.
That's why I was curious if anyone had any experience with them.

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:32 p.m.

Real, meaningful statistical reliability data - repair trips per 100 cars per year;

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 2, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

Not surprised in the above graphs as Germans are not known for their reliability, and diesel engines are pretty complex as well.

Have you considered the Corolla S? That one's a fun one!

Sept. 2, 2015, 11:02 a.m.

"Invoice price" doesn't mean what it used to. It's been a few years since I sold cars at a dealership but I'll share how it worked when I was "on the inside".

Invoice is meant to be the "cost" the dealership pays the manufacturer for the vehicle. However, there are a few fixed costs with every car (pre delivery inspection and delivery). As a subtraction there's a holdback the manufacturer keeps and releases back to the dealership to help cover the financing costs of the inventory (very few dealers actually buy their inventory). Next, you have the advertised cash backs from the manufacturer, in addition to any unpublished cash backs that might be offered to the dealer.

What does this mean?

You could pay "invoice" and there's still plenty of profit for the dealership. Thousand bucks holdback? advertised rebate? non advertised rebate? In this case "invoice" would be easy to get as it could leave a big profit for the dealer.

On another car, that isn't rebated, "invoice" could cost the dealer money (financing costs, PDI, and delivery) so in that case "invoice" would be very difficult to get.

Long story short "invoice" could be easy as pie or require some shrewd negotiating.

^ that is helpful. the unhaggle report I had showed dealer incentives of about $11,000 on the truck I was looking at - the dealer was advertising and quoting 7,000 in incentives. However, the price drop of 4 gs was an easy negotiation- so I tend to think that they may be on to something.

Now I just have to work on the remaining 3 to get to what I want to pay. The hard part is doing so before I get fed up with the whole process and decide to keep my old farm truck another 10 years. A 20 year old duramax should be fine right?

Sept. 2, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

^ that is helpful. the unhaggle report I had showed dealer incentives of about $11,000 on the truck I was looking at - the dealer was advertising and quoting 7,000 in incentives. However, the price drop of 4 gs was an easy negotiation- so I tend to think that they may be on to something.

I should add that if the dealer has to dealer transfer in a vehicle often all of the "hidden" incentives stay with the ordering dealership. This puts the dealership you're dealing with up to the paper invoice amount.

You'll always get a better deal on a vehicle the negotiating dealer ordered as part of their annual inventory.

Sept. 3, 2015, 12:51 p.m.

I wait for this

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 3, 2015, 1:58 p.m.

Yea, that or a Golf. Too similar to make the decision easy.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 3, 2015, 7:06 p.m.

I'd go Fiesta ST.

Way more fun than those lardy macro hatches.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Sept. 3, 2015, 10:55 p.m.

Why not here, Mr. Ford?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOS_wlZJM2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQib1oHrQNw

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 3, 2015, 11:09 p.m.

My daughter just bought a golf, not TDI though. I'll ask her what she paid as a point of reference for you.