Broken bones

July 18, 2005, 9:28 p.m.

Hey guy's it's been since the end of may since I broke my radius bone (wrist) The fracture was like an L shape on the bone and nothing was moved. Sat in a cast for 5 weeks and had it removed 3 weeks ago. In all honesty I didn't think it was healing well becuase I still have bumps and swelling as I type this and can't really lift heavy things. It hurts to write. I had a check up and the doctor said he was surprised it is coming as good as it is. Anyone ever break their wrist before? have any expected healing time predictions? Any broken bone experience would be helpfull

FYI: The break was from DJ'ing. Over shot jump #2 in a 3 set. Came down hard on my head/shoulder/arm/wrist area. Ended up smashing my helmet up good and breaking the wrist. All alone too, had to bike half way to the hospital before I bumped into someone I knew. Lucky for me becuase I was in really rough shape.

Area Drunk

July 18, 2005, 10:23 p.m.

you going to physio yet? I havn't broken anything other than a finger so I'm not too sure about recovery times. But, the time frame you have described seems compairable to what I see around the hospital.

S

Join SIMBS and help mountain biking on the Rock

Get out of the way, freedom's coming through!

July 18, 2005, 10:28 p.m.

Did both wrists a few times…..coming back to haunt me now(15 or so yrs later)….

physio,physio,physio……thats all I can say.

My wrists never healed properly because I was too cool to rehab them.

Pastor of Muppets

July 18, 2005, 10:39 p.m.

Did both wrists a few times…..coming back to haunt me now(15 or so yrs later)….

physio,physio,physio……thats all I can say.

My wrists never healed properly because I was too cool to rehab them.

I didnt get any pysio. I'm just going on about my days like normal. Doing lost of skimming and biking around town to strengthen it. Drinking lots of beer too :)
what type of break did you get on your wrists?

Area Drunk

July 18, 2005, 10:40 p.m.

i fractured my scaphoid….doc in whistler said 6 weeks…then i came back home and the doc gave me like 9 weeks…i took the cast off at like a month…then rocked a soft cast…then stopped wearing that…got a appt on the 26th….shall see what the ortho says…also the doc said up to 4 or 5 months to heal right cause i guess the wrist bones get low blood flow…but mine feels alright now…good luck with it all

www.powderandpark.com - My ski review site

July 18, 2005, 10:43 p.m.

I didnt get any pysio. I'm just going on about my days like normal. Doing lost of skimming and biking around town to strengthen it. Drinking lots of beer too :)
what type of break did you get on your wrists?

Ulna….

Ulna,compound radius,scaphiod

Radius,scaphoid

radius,ulna.

Pastor of Muppets

July 18, 2005, 10:47 p.m.

Its really frustrating. Geuss i'm lucky I work in an office. Sure takes you down a peg when you break a bone doing something I would consider myself good at. Now I have the whole "shit I might break a bone" So much for being immortal eh?

Area Drunk

July 18, 2005, 10:47 p.m.

Ulna….

Ulna,compound radius,scaphiod

Radius,scaphoid

radius,ulna.

Crazy. Biking? This was my first "accidental break" I got a boxers fraction on the same hand years ago. But it healed alot quicker than this.

Area Drunk

July 18, 2005, 10:52 p.m.

Crazy. Biking? This was my first "accidental break" I got a boxers fraction on the same hand years ago. But it healed alot quicker than this.

Motocross and skateboarding with green fractures.

Pastor of Muppets

July 18, 2005, 11:01 p.m.

Did mine in last year on the bike. I was riding as soon as I got the cast off….as soon as I cut it off ;)

Hug a logger, you'll never go back to trees

July 19, 2005, 9:25 a.m.

busted my radius just above the wrist a few days before xmas (playing hockey). Once the bone was set [HTML_REMOVED] in a cast, it didn't bother me at all. Wore the cast for 4 weeks [HTML_REMOVED] aside from being a little weak at first, it was fine right away.

Busted the same radius right at the wrist 4 weeks ago (riding). Shattered the end of the bone, had surgery to put in a little metal thingie [HTML_REMOVED] 6 pins to hold it all together. Been out of the cast for about a week, but the hand is still pretty much useless. Can't really hold anything much heavier than a beer. Still really swollen.

If your break extended into the joint, I think it's pretty normal for it to take a bit longer. They told me I shouldn't ride for 4-6 months (as if). I think if you're patient [HTML_REMOVED] persistent with your rehab, things should be feeling better within a couple months of getting the cast off. Just remember, if you go out [HTML_REMOVED] do too much before it's ready, you're taking a serious risk of re-injury. An extra week or 2 of rehab [HTML_REMOVED] strengthening now could prevent missing a month or 2 later due to injury.

Good luck!

I'm quitting organized crime; from now on I'll stick to the regular kind.