British Columbia

May 30, 2017, 9:22 p.m.

Hydroelectric is "renewable" with caveats. Where in the past it's​ been assumed that damming a river has minimal environmental impact, we now know there is often a much greater impact than previously assumed.

Green space is destroyed, taking CO2-eating Flora away. Microclimates and biodiversity can be threatened or lost. Land and marine animal migration routes can be cut off. The carbon footprint of dam construction is huge. Social impacts are significant at site C. So once the dam is built and producing, it is renewable energy. But building it is far from it.

I don't think a clear case has been made that we'll need the energy from site C any time soon, if ever. Solar, wind, and tidal backed with storage offer better alternatives that are getting cheaper every day.

Totally agree on public ownership of utilities.

Last edited by: KenN on May 30, 2017, 9:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 30, 2017, 9:34 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

I believe that all utilities should be crown owned and operated by an elected board of citizens (read non politicians) who have relevant experience in the given discipline.

I'm down with that.

May 30, 2017, 10:14 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I believe that all utilities should be crown owned and operated by an elected board of citizens (read non politicians) who have relevant experience in the given discipline.

I'm down with that.

Very good idea. All Crown corporations should be publicly owned. When it comes to serving the public, safety is paramount. This goes for highway snowplowing, water works, hospitals, schools etc. I like the way the board of directors is run for the Metro subway in Montreal. Out of 10 board members, 3 are mayors, 4 are councillors & 3 are members of the public, 1 of which is the chairman.

May 30, 2017, 11:16 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/bc-hydro-real-debt-grown-1337-liberals-shouldnt-someone-call-cops/

Read this & you will agree Crispy & her kind should be arrested.

Smart meters should have covered the losses.

June 2, 2017, 9:09 a.m.

A couple of thoughts on site c ( and lets not involve the loss of 5 month/yr farmland or the cries of folks with a dozen broken down cars leaching into their front lawn)

• Doesn't it make good sense to build a project like this ahead of when you need it? Imagine the cost 10 years from now. It actually should have been built  when the dollar was at or near par.

• uhh....isn't hydroelectric considered a "renewable"?

• gas turbines....run on unicorn farts from what ive heard, not fossil fuels, so I guess they're ok.

• IPPs? I seem to recall we're locked into a rate above the going rate for the power coming from these plants.

For what its worth I have no real opinion on site c. I do however enjoy that its keeping many of the albertard trades away from my jobsite.

kind of with you here. Just food for thought, and I could be way off base here, but with global warming at full throttle and glaciers dissapearing at an alarming rate, wouldn't the ability to capture and store clean fresh water be a bit of a commodity. Something our freinds to the south may really need in the future. Pipelines for water not oil.

June 2, 2017, 10:21 a.m.

^Too many eggs in one (hydro-electric) basket.  The IPP agreement is fucked.  A grouping of people should be rotting in a jail somewhere.   

Some things never change...

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/rush-of-corporate-cash-stuffs-b-c-liberal-warchest-before-ndp-green-takeover

Maybe next time BCers collectively pull their heads out of their asses and not vote for the BC Libs.  

How is the party that created the BC Carbon Tax, Carbon Credits etc pro-pipeline, LNG, and Fracking?  Is it, "because jorbz"?

June 21, 2017, 9:52 p.m.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-premier-clark-to-address-her-governments-mistakes-in-throne-speech/article35413794

Anything to attempt staying in power.  <span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Smart play by them tbh. </span>

Bro, Brah, Bruh

June 21, 2017, 10:10 p.m.

To me its like the last game of the stan's cup final when coach  pulls the goally in the last 30sec when they are down 3 goals

June 21, 2017, 10:15 p.m.

Christy is who we need to reverse the damage caused by the last majority government.

June 21, 2017, 10:16 p.m.

Plus I'm a Liberal, so I have to vote for them because they are the Liberal party.

I'm a voter!

June 22, 2017, 4:52 a.m.

Spot on

June 22, 2017, 6:43 a.m.

Too little, too late.....hopefully.

Thread killer

July 24, 2017, 3:34 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/icbc-report-says-rates-could-climb-30-in-next-2-years-1.4219426

Hahaha. We're so fawked. If only a gübermint had majority power for a decade and half to do something about this.  The report is a nice parting gift.

July 29, 2017, 5:58 a.m.

bye bye christy. oh and could you please use the rear exit. quiter.

July 29, 2017, 1:35 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/christy-clark-legacy-1.4227485

She's like a trump lite. "Jorbz!!"