British Columbia

May 29, 2017, 8:09 p.m.

Let's hope so.

May 29, 2017, 9:04 p.m.

Next election in less than a year.

May 29, 2017, 10:13 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Buh buy, site C, you shitty waste of money!

I sure hope so. Site C is not needed at this time. It would make money for Crispy's corporate big-wig friends though and isn't that the important thing?

May 30, 2017, 7:50 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Next election in less than a year.

Yeah, probably.  I'd like to see it hold together, but the odds are against it, IMO.

May 30, 2017, 7:54 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Posted by: KenN

Buh buy, site C, you shitty waste of money!

I sure hope so. Site C is not needed at this time. It would make money for Crispy's corporate big-wig friends though and isn't that the important thing?

Was def part of the platform for both parties, so a 180 at this point would pretty much kill their re-election chances.  I don't think we'll ever need that power.  With the collapse of gas markets, building LNG sites is a bust, and fracking is going to become financially unfeasible soon.  With those large consumers of power out of the picture, BC could easily make up for future power needs with renewables.  Take half of the nearly $10 billion cost for site C and plough it into renewable infrastructure, and we've got something.

May 30, 2017, 10:52 a.m.

Aren't we into Site C for ~$1 billion now?  I read an OP sometime before the election that said we're likely too far that rabbit hole to come out of.  Having never been up to Site C, nor seen before and current photos I'm unaware what construction has taken place. 

Does that 250MW Gas Turbine in Campbell River run constantly? I've heard it doesn't.

May 30, 2017, 11:11 a.m.

That's forward thinking, Ken. Fossil fuels are on their way out, not overnight, but slowly. The govt. has to stop with these "it's creating jobs" statements. Sure it creates jobs, but they are short term. The real benefits go to the companies that stand to profit from it. Better to put that money into renewable energy, research & educating the public.

Thread killer

May 30, 2017, 11:30 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Aren't we into Site C for ~$1 billion now?  I read an OP sometime before the election that said we're likely too far that rabbit hole to come out of.  Having never been up to Site C, nor seen before and current photos I'm unaware what construction has taken place. 

Does that 250MW Gas Turbine in Campbell River run constantly? I've heard it doesn't.

It runs 10% of the time and is more of a backup/augmentation system.  The company running it makes more money when it's not running; the province is paying around $50 million a year to have it on standby.

When everyone converts to electric cars, maybe then we'll need the additional electrical power?

May 30, 2017, 2:11 p.m.

I don't think it's quite that much, but I don't know for sure.  It's all being kept fairly tightly under wraps - public scrutiny is a bad word with Cristy the Clown in charge.

My own opinion is that, with the cost of the project and the fact that it will be paid for by BC Hydro rate payers and BC tax payers for decades to come, even a billion spent wouldn't be enough reason to prevent walking away from this turd of a project.

May 30, 2017, 2:13 p.m.

When BC's main business-oriented publication is putting out articles saying Site C is shit, then it's pretty much shit.

https://www.biv.com/article/2017/4/affordable-power-or-site-c-power-british-columbian/

May 30, 2017, 2:19 p.m.

Posted by: switch

It runs 10% of the time and is more of a backup/augmentation system.  The company running it makes more money when it's not running; the province is paying around $50 million a year to have it on standby.

When everyone converts to electric cars, maybe then we'll need the additional electrical power?

Yah, gas turbines are quick to ramp up, so they are primarily for peaking power.  It does make some sense to pay them when not running, much like we pay firefighters even though they don't fight fires every day.  When the need arises, you need them like right now.

With large scale battery to grid becoming cheaper to bring online than gas turbine plants, there's not much reason to build new gas sites for peaking.  Batteries come online even quicker, have better turn-down, and run zero emissions.

May 30, 2017, 4:50 p.m.

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/bc-hydro-real-debt-grown-1337-liberals-shouldnt-someone-call-cops/

Read this & you will agree Crispy & her kind should be arrested.

Thread killer

May 30, 2017, 5:38 p.m.

Many use predictive models to confirm their biases. 

To those who like to confirm their biases that oil is awesome and renewable's can't compete for decades should take pause, or bury your head further in the ground.

Renewable energy generation in the US dramatically exceeds 2012 predictions

May 30, 2017, 8:05 p.m.

One thing is for sure; BC needs more IPPs

May 30, 2017, 8:28 p.m.

A couple of thoughts on site c ( and lets not involve the loss of 5 month/yr farmland or the cries of folks with a dozen broken down cars leaching into their front lawn)

• Doesn't it make good sense to build a project like this ahead of when you need it? Imagine the cost 10 years from now. It actually should have been built  when the dollar was at or near par.

• uhh....isn't hydroelectric considered a "renewable"?

• gas turbines....run on unicorn farts from what ive heard, not fossil fuels, so I guess they're ok.

• IPPs? I seem to recall we're locked into a rate above the going rate for the power coming from these plants.

For what its worth I have no real opinion on site c. I do however enjoy that its keeping many of the albertard trades away from my jobsite.

I believe that all utilities should be crown owned and operated by an elected board of citizens (read non politicians) who have relevant experience in the given discipline.