Bringing back gas from the states

May 13, 2013, 1:22 a.m.

$149.9 today. Seriously?

Vancity is getting out of control.

never travel to germany then…

May 13, 2013, 4:33 a.m.

Da fuct is that in metric?
Get a pickup and a tidy tank in the box for the unlimited unleaded on the cheap:mullet:

About 4 pesos per bbl, or something like that. Speak American damnit.

Going with the dollar at par, $3.78/gal would be a buck a liter. You can figure it out from there.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

May 13, 2013, 4:41 a.m.

All the talk about supporting Canadian business. Hell, at $1.49 a liter I don't blame peeps for getting gas in the USA.

Unless you're purchasing your gas from a chain or store that's privately owned in Canada (I don't know if there are many of these in the lower mainland), the money you spend is going to the states anyway. Minimum wage gas jockeys aren't going to have their lives ruined if you stop shopping at the big box store equivalent of a gas station. Shell/Husky/7-11 aren't going to go broke if we buy gas from them across the border instead of here.

May 13, 2013, 11:06 a.m.

About 4 pesos per bbl, or something like that. Speak American damnit.

Going with the dollar at par, $3.78/gal would be a buck a liter. You can figure it out from there.

Ah Si Senor.

So the gas is still the same price as it was 6 months ago, assuming Pt Roberts is still the same.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 13, 2013, 11:30 a.m.

I think the amount of people going across the line for RUG is pretty minimal compared to the amount sold in Canada not that they would but if they found gas in jerry cans in the back of your vehical could they say it was merch and charge duty or sft?

Vancover is always more expensive the once a year I am down there and diesel seemed harder to find when I was running a TDi, I felt better once I was beyond Hope …guess I'm a northerner

May 13, 2013, 11:41 a.m.

lol wasting gas idling in a border line-up to save a few pennies on gas. I value my personal time a lot more than the money saved.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 13, 2013, 11:47 a.m.

lol wasting gas idling in a border line-up to save a few pennies on gas. I value my personal time a lot more than the money saved.
Kn.

The don't idle.
I shipped some stuff out of Point Roberts last week. No lineup either direction and I saved $50.
I like the idea of filling jerry cans but would really hate to have the border guards confiscate it.

May 13, 2013, 11:53 a.m.

If you're going anyway and fill up as part of the trip, that's one thing. If you're going over the border and the primary purpose of the trip is to buy gas, then I think that's just madness.

Kn.

May 13, 2013, 12:12 p.m.

In my defence I work 5 min from the line and it's always dead when I get off work. It's quicker for me to do that then go to abbotsford like some people I know. Plus when I get Nexus it'll be even faster. Also it's more than a few pennies, try $30 a tank savings for me.

May 13, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

North Van to the border isn't worth it. A hour drive either way plus border time.

May 13, 2013, 12:35 p.m.

Last time I was heading to Victoria to surf so I stopped at Pt Roberts to ship a snowboard to Merca from TLC and get petrol.

Not sure who was more confused, the boarder guard or me.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 13, 2013, 12:40 p.m.

For anyone carrying gas in jerry cans inside the vehicle (including SUVs [HTML_REMOVED] hatchbacks), be careful to make sure they are secure and the cans don't leak.

Think about what would happen if you are in an accident or if you rolled the vehicle.

May 13, 2013, 12:51 p.m.

Unless you're purchasing your gas from a chain or store that's privately owned in Canada (I don't know if there are many of these in the lower mainland), the money you spend is going to the states anyway. /QUOTE]

NO. A good part of the higher price you pay at the pump in Vancouver is going to various levels of govt.

Vancouver average price of 1.49$/L includes these various taxes:
0.07$ in GST (5%)
0.10$/L federal excise tax
0.17$/L translink tax
0.085$/L provincial tax
0.067$/L carbon tax

0.49$/L total tax per L (the remaining 1$/L goes to the gas companies)

Everytime you decide to buy 50L in the US instead of the GVRD, its 25$ less in various govt coffers…

As a comparison, in WA, the taxes are 0.559$/gal or 0.15$/L.
The current average price in WA is 1.03$/L (3.90$/gal).
The gas companies are getting 0.88$/L
(In Blaine, current price looks closer to 1.08$/L, so gas companies are getting 0.94$/L)

:canada: :czech:

May 13, 2013, 1:01 p.m.

Soooo ….

What you're saying is, that every time someone from our area makes a trip to the US primarily to fill their gas tank, they are casting a "NO" vote to improved roads, bridges and transit in BC?

Kn.

May 13, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

Soooo ….

What you're saying is, that every time someone from our area makes a trip to the US primarily to fill their gas tank, they are casting a "NO" vote to improved roads, bridges and transit in BC?

Kn.

Indeed…

"The federal and provincial governments and TransLink took in a total of $958 million from Metro drivers last year through taxes at the pumps, and the CTF calculated that will rise to $1.02 billion this year.

TransLink's portion will account for more than $350 million – the biggest chunk – while the federal government's 10-cent tax pulls in $208 million from Metro, provincial gas tax of 8.5 per is worth $177 million, the carbon tax of 6.67 cents as of July will be nearly $140 million and the five-per-cent federal HST generates another $145.6 million.

For a 64-litre tank fill-up, taxes account for more than $31 and could add up to nearly $1,600 per year for a two-car family.

Much of Ottawa's take is handed back to TransLink via cities for transportation investment.

:canada: :czech: