Bringing back gas from the states

May 13, 2013, 2:04 p.m.

Soooo ….

What you're saying is, that every time someone from our area makes a trip to the US primarily to fill their gas tank, they are casting a "NO" vote to improved roads, bridges and transit in BC?

Kn.

We already pay for tolls, they can go fuck themselves as much as possible.

Maybe take that 16 million they spent on election campagning to start?

Clunking is for retards.

May 13, 2013, 2:05 p.m.

Unless you're purchasing your gas from a chain or store that's privately owned in Canada (I don't know if there are many of these in the lower mainland), the money you spend is going to the states anyway. /QUOTE]

NO. A good part of the higher price you pay at the pump in Vancouver is going to various levels of govt.

Vancouver average price of 1.49$/L includes these various taxes:
0.07$ in GST (5%)
0.10$/L federal excise tax
0.17$/L translink tax
0.085$/L provincial tax
0.067$/L carbon tax

0.49$/L total tax per L (the remaining 1$/L goes to the gas companies)

Everytime you decide to buy 50L in the US instead of the GVRD, its 25$ less in various govt coffers…

As a comparison, in WA, the taxes are 0.559$/gal or 0.15$/L.
The current average price in WA is 1.03$/L (3.90$/gal).
The gas companies are getting 0.88$/L
(In Blaine, current price looks closer to 1.08$/L, so gas companies are getting 0.94$/L)

Also, BC refineries have to pay Carbon Tax on carbon fuels they consume in the production of fuels. Non-BC refineries do not.

May 13, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

What are the line ups like nowadays? .When i lived in newton pre-911 I could jump out of bed into the mini van with a go cup of coffee basicly in my PJ's at 6am on a week day, gas up grab milk [HTML_REMOVED] be home in 1/2 hr so it was worth it except for … the livivng in newton part

May 13, 2013, 2:23 p.m.

ha ha so I should feel guilty about not paying this tax. I avoid as much tax as I can legally get away with just like everyone else.

usually a round trip to the border for me is 30-40 minutes before Im back to where I detoured to go there. I save 40 bucks on gas 10-20 bucks on groceries. (dairy/chicken) plus 20-40% off my sporting goods bills(especially since they never charge gst/pst). this usually adds up to another 50 - 100 bucks in savings per trip. I do this about 3 times a month

May 13, 2013, 2:53 p.m.

got room for another couple of jerry cans there, mr Rat?lol

May 13, 2013, 2:59 p.m.

I live 2.5 km from the Sumas crossing…I only cross when there is no line up. I save about $10 per fill up on my car, $15 on the wife's. So that's $25 a week/$100 a month on fuel…which I now spend on the Port Mann Bridge.

As for bringing gas back I asked the border guards one day and here is their answer:

You can bring back your vehicle's tank duty free, technically you can't bring anything in a jerry can with out being charged duty/tax/what ever it is.

Now the bigger problem is the transportation of the jerry cans. Here is a quote from Transport Canada:

In Canada, even when gasoline is transported for non-commercial purposes or for personal use, the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations still apply. This differs from the United States, where dangerous goods are only regulated when “in commerce”. However, the Regulations contain a number of exemptions, allowing gasoline to be transported without having to comply with all parts of the Regulations. There are a wide range of exemptions, each providing different levels of requirements. Some of the most commonly used exemptions for transporting gasoline include:

150 kg Gross mass exemption (section 1.15 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations): The 150 kg gross mass exemption is the most commonly used exemption under the Regulations. In fact, most people use this exemption without even knowing it when transporting jerry cans. It can be used when you transport 150 kg or less total mass of gasoline, in containers that are 30 kg or less.

Found a number that says gasoline weighs approximately 0.76 Kg per litre. So that puts 150 kg's at 197 litres of fuel to carry under the exemption.

And a news story from last year:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsydjg_canadians-are-filling-up-jerry-cans-at-many-american-gas-stations-to-save-at-the-pump_news

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 13, 2013, 3:06 p.m.

got room for another couple of jerry cans there, mr Rat?lol

I do one 20 liter straped down in the box of the truck. also premium (for the toys) is only another 6 cents a liter vs 17 cents in Canada

my wife brings a six pack of beer back (declares it)and has never paid duty but im still too chicken to do it.

the magic value before you pay gst/pst seem to be around +200-250 bucks for what its worth.

May 13, 2013, 3:29 p.m.

Even though I was being ever so slightly sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek, I am a strong believer in a well-built, well-run, well-funded mass transportation network. I wish we had that here.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 13, 2013, 3:35 p.m.

Even though I was being ever so slightly sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek, I am a strong believer in a well-built, well-run, well-funded mass transportation network. I wish we had that here.

Kn.

Totally depends on where you live, when and where you want to go. Sometimes its awesome, sometimes it sucks. You can't expect any transit system to take you direct from any random point A to random point B with efficiency all the time - munis and property developers have to be involved in smoothing the process as well.

May 13, 2013, 3:40 p.m.

the gvrd is a tough place to build transit but its better than it was when I left town 18 yrs ago,

Its big enough now so I have got lost going to surrey, it was cool taking the sky train to the airport for 4$ and it sucked paying 75$ for a cab to whiterock

depends on yer POV ^^ maybe you don't see a big change cuz you see it all the time ?

May 13, 2013, 4 p.m.

Addition of Canada Line is teh awsum. NVLOC to YVR is now faster and cheaper by transit than all other methods, except maybe private copter.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 13, 2013, 4:30 p.m.

I bring back 20 liters every 2 weeks in jerry cans.Make sure you keep your gas receipts at from the gas station ,The gas counts as your daily allowable limit

May 13, 2013, 4:49 p.m.

I haven't bought gas in Canada for ca couple years. I use some apps that watch the lineups and go when it's light. I say I am getting gas and when I come back, I say I bought gas (30 cents cheaper a litre). No hassle ever.

May 13, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

I live 10mins from a rural crossing, and get shit shipped to USA all the time. Since im down there anyway, its stupid not to gas up, since its much cheaper. But yeah dummies that drive an hour, then sit at peace arch for hour, then save $20 on groceries and $20 on gas are funny. Not worth it at all IMO

Im sure filling up your tank is a grey area/allowed, but I would be willing to bet that you technically arent allowed to bring jerries back.

May 15, 2013, 2:48 p.m.

went down there today to pick up stuff from the border and did the fill up thing. Filled the truck with 89 and 3 jerry cans(two-5g and one-2.5g) with 92. Made sure I had a receipt for the 92. Anyhow, picked up stuff from the package place and headed back to Canada. Chick at the booth was in a great mood, so that should be considered…so she asks the usually questions. I tell her I have $440 in bicycle parts and she asks if I bought anything else and I told her I bought gas. She says nothing about that and tells me to go to cashier and pay the 5% for the bike parts.

So that's my "cool story bro" story for the day.

Line up was a little long for the border so I almost considered walking across but the thought of saving an extra $50 on fuel made the 25-30 minute wait a little more bearable.