Boulder CO - Another Mass Shooting

March 24, 2021, 4:18 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Great argument for gun registry. I had never thought of it like that.

March 24, 2021, 7:52 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Great argument for gun registry. I had never thought of it like that.

I think the frustrating part is that the NRA (and by extension it’s bought and paid for Rupublican representatives) take an absolute position against any change and consistently argue in bad faith and so nothing changes.

March 24, 2021, 9:04 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Meena Harris slammed for racial profiling.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6243251296001

Why do you think this sickos heritage is important?

March 24, 2021, 9:38 a.m.

White man. Black man. Brown man. Muslim. Christian. Anarchist. Communist. Mentally ill. Mentally fit. Upset. Intoxicated.

The list of excuses can go on and on, yet the one common factor that never changes is guns.

Yesterday I talked to a friend who lives in Idaho. He said lineups at the gun shops, big jump in demand for concealed weapons, and ammo shortages. Even with Covid and economic slump, gun and ammo sales are higher than ever.

Irrational fear is a big part of the culture for a lot of the USA population.

Last edited by: switch on March 24, 2021, 9:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 24, 2021, 10:22 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

...and just like that it’s whites vs non-whites. 

Amazing how good we are at picking up the talking points we’re trained to instead of looking at the meat of the issue.

The Heritage Foundation would be proud, we’re such good little poors with our social political identities and infighting.

At this point I wish I could take it back.  Not because I said he was white, but because everyone missed my point.  Gun culture in the US is dominated by white people and they are therefore more likely to have access to an artillery of weapons and ammo when their brain snaps.  It is not about the skin colour, it's about the culture.  This is not a talking point.  From Adam Lanza, to Steven Paddock, to James Holmes, to Columbine, etc.  It's a lot of white guys.

March 24, 2021, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

I think the frustrating part is that the NRA (and by extension it’s bought and paid for Rupublican representatives) take an absolute position against any change and consistently argue in bad faith and so nothing changes.

This is probably the most frustrating and asinine part of the gun debate. There is a huge proponent of those in the gun culture who equate any change to gun laws as taking away their rights based on their interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

March 24, 2021, 11:56 a.m.

Some perspective from a well known historian.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/march-23-2021

March 24, 2021, 12:05 p.m.

This is a good article on the whole mess of gun "rights" in the US.

"The fate of 320 million Americans will be decided by five judges who, citing nineteenth-century dictionaries to translate words from an eighteenth-century document, misguidedly claim they are only channeling the wisdom of the founders."

https://www.americanheritage.com/what-does-second-amendment-really-mean

March 24, 2021, 12:54 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: tashi

...and just like that it’s whites vs non-whites. 

Amazing how good we are at picking up the talking points we’re trained to instead of looking at the meat of the issue.

The Heritage Foundation would be proud, we’re such good little poors with our social political identities and infighting.

At this point I wish I could take it back.  Not because I said he was white, but because everyone missed my point.  Gun culture in the US is dominated by white people and they are therefore more likely to have access to an artillery of weapons and ammo when their brain snaps.  It is not about the skin colour, it's about the culture.  This is not a talking point.  From Adam Lanza, to Steven Paddock, to James Holmes, to Columbine, etc.  It's a lot of white guys.

It’s a valid point, and it’s important to identify threats, but isn’t the central issue easy access to weapons?

March 24, 2021, 1:27 p.m.

It's a lot of white guys.

Yeah, ok.... 

March 24, 2021, 1:45 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Some perspective from a well known historian.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/march-23-2021

It backed the 1934 National Firearms Act, and parts of the 1968 Gun Control Act, designed to stop what seemed to be America’s hurtle toward violence in that turbulent decade.

Because

they saw this!

March 24, 2021, 3:33 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Yeah, ok....

The gun fetish in America is more than just owning a gun and I am obviously talking specifically about these mass murder rampages that are almost entirely unique to America. I would probably own one down there too. It's an arms race.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 24, 2021, 3:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 24, 2021, 3:37 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Yeah, ok....

That's gun ownership. Looking at mass shootings specifically, which I think is what Chup was talking about, 66% of mass shootings are perpetrated by white males.

Last edited by: Schnickelfritz on March 24, 2021, 3:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 24, 2021, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

That's gun ownership. Looking at mass shootings specifically, which I think is what Chup was talking about, 66% of mass shootings are perpetrated by white males.

I don't often disagree with chupacabra but when you compare population stats to Schnick's graph the distribution looks rather similar. Throw in a whole host of other sociological factors and the discrepancy is not as one sided as you would believe.

Last edited by: syncro on March 24, 2021, 3:48 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 24, 2021, 4:21 p.m.

You have a point Syncro, although there are 9 unclear ones that could bump those numbers up. According to the NYT they have mainly covered the mass shooting where the perp was a lone white male so I will lay the blame on them. The mass killing at the nightclub in Orlando and Virginia Tech were 2 of the worst as far as deaths are concerned and neither were white, so there is that as well.

OK, so can we at least agree that it almost all men. Looking at the stats for mass shootings with over 10 dead it is also clear that the use of semi-auto rifles is also on the rise.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 24, 2021, 4:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.