Books (not Boobs)

Feb. 23, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

Picked up Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier on the recommendation of a board member in this thread, well written and interesting story. I'm not finished it yet but slowly working away at it.

Revisited a few of the classics lately, I'm a huge Steinbeck fan and recently enjoyed reading Cannery Row

Feb. 23, 2015, 10:15 a.m.

Picked up Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier on the recommendation of a board member in this thread, well written and interesting story. I'm not finished it yet but slowly working away at it.

Revisited a few of the classics lately, I'm a huge Steinbeck fan and recently enjoyed reading Cannery Row

I tried to read Cold Mountain and just couldnt get into it. I found it pretty dense and slow. Was this effort any better?

Feb. 23, 2015, 3:55 p.m.

I tried to read Cold Mountain and just couldnt get into it. I found it pretty dense and slow. Was this effort any better?

Thirteen Moons is the only of his books that I've read, so I can't really comment. I find it well written, but it's the sort of book I can only read a dozen pages at a time so yeah, probably a little dense.

Feb. 28, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

Whipped through the 4 James SA Corey books. Y'all were correct, book 3 dragged. Amos and Bobbie should hook up and make some sort of super kill baby. The authors have signed a deal for 5 more books, so we'll start to see new stuff late this year or early next.

For a change of pace, I'll check I Am Pilgrim.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

Feb. 28, 2015, 4:41 p.m.

I'm on book three of The Culture series.

Book one started off great but it was ruined at the end for the grossly excessive foreshadowing.

Book two started off horribly but once he was off on his trip I couldn't put it down.

Book three now and I am liking it all so far.

I think Banks is more like Simmons and Meiville than Hamilton and Reynolds. Good thing I love both.

March 6, 2015, 9:33 p.m.

I Am Pilgrim was decent. Way too much foreshadowing! The number of times the protagonist says he made a mistake, which then turns out to be an inconsequential plot twist 10 pages later, is ridiculous. Overall, well plotted and paced, much more Ludlum than LeCarre.

March 14, 2015, 1:05 p.m.

Just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Wow. An excellent read. Moving on to The Year of the Flood, and MaddAddam.

March 14, 2015, 6:43 p.m.

Been working my way through the Tom Clancy, Jack Ryan series of late, found them to be really entertaining but "The Bear and the Dragon" so far hasn't grabbed my attention as well.

Good enough to pass the time in the lift huts with all the crap weather we have had this season though!

March 14, 2015, 7:31 p.m.

Just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

i found OandC pretty underwhelming, but it may have just been overhyped (to me)

in the same vein, sailor song by ken kesey is fantastic, deserves to be up there with 1984 and brave new world as a genre classic imo, though its a lot more fun. and i found the future-setting stuff in the new david mitchell book incredibly compelling

Stumbled across Fool's Assassin, Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb, checked it out online and found out that she has written quite a few - if she is good, I think I start at the beginning, Assassin's Apprentice which is the first part in a series that quite a few recommend before reading Fool's Assassin.

So…has one of you read one of her books? If so, what do/did you think?

i read the first assassin trilogy back in higschool/uni when i was really into fantasy, thought it was incredible. i recently found out she wrote a follow up trilogy, which i binge-read. i got a bit tired of her schtick, but honestly consuming that amount of any writer in such a short time is bound to have a similar effect. she's just released the first book of a third trilogy based around those two…

bottom line, the first set of books is great, genre classics and very unique, definitely worth a read. and if you love them, there's lots more to look forward to

seriously? holy shit how long is that, 10,000 pages? i read the first book back in 2000 and that was enough: while i enjoyed the story, there was no way i was sticking around for what promised to be the longest and most convoluted fantasy series of all time

AND

while we're on the subject/if you've read this far: check out the heroes by joe abercrombie. i read some of his earlier stuff which was fun and dark but nothing special. the heroes is an ass kicking story with killer characters AND really manages to turn the genre and a lot of its more tiresome conventions on their ears, in ways he flirted with in earlier books but absolutely nails in this one

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 15, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

I had never heard of Oryx and Crake before my wife read it and started calling our cat a rakunk earlier this year. Pretty much zero hype for me. I thought it held up pretty well in the "dystopian future" area, against books from William Gibson and Richard K Morgan.

Malazan actually comes in at over 11,000 pages. It's epic - in scope, length, breadth, # and diversity of characters. Somehow, it's less convoluted than 5,000 pages of Song of Ice and Fire [GoT]. The byline should be: "Get comfy, you're going to be here for a while".

I really enjoyed Joe Abercrombie's stuff, although that Half a King was a bit of a letdown. Great characters, especially Ninefingers, Glokta, and Shivers.

March 15, 2015, 4:15 p.m.

last year I read all the malazan books in order, such an amazing fantasy series.

I followed it by reading all The Black Company books - those are great as well!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

Now i'm finishing the Ender's Game books. also super well done! On book 7 or 8 i think and really enjoying them!

March 29, 2015, 2:19 p.m.

Totally missed that Richard K Morgan had put out The Dark Defiles, so I jumped on that after reading Atwood's The Year of the Flood. Morgan did such a great job on that series. Black Man [a.k.a. Thirteen] is my favourite of his.

Next up, MaddAddam, the third book in Atwood's O[HTML_REMOVED]C trilogy.

March 29, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

I forgot about Richard Morgan. I liked Altered Carbon a lot and will check out his other stuff.

Finished book four of the Culture series. Unfortunately I'm listening to them on Audible and didn't know it was a collection of short stories. Once I was near the end I was pretty pissed off at how none of the stories could be connected. FML. Going to need to read it again with this in mind.

April 2, 2015, 5:09 p.m.

All done MaddAddam. That was a good trilogy.

I'm going off books for a little while. I need to do something that doesn't require thinking. Hello Netflix!

April 3, 2015, 1:13 a.m.

Collecting and reading all of Kurt Vonnegut's novels. Loving every moment. Very highly suggest if you enjoy cynical satire and black comedy.