Books (not Boobs)

Dec. 13, 2011, 5:55 p.m.

I'm a few pages into "Kiss or Kill - confessions of a serial climber" by Mark Twight. Amazon.ca link here.

a friend of mine gave me that a couple years ago and said I had to read it, have since re-read it several times. infact I might burn through a few pages tonight. I wish i would have read his stuff when I was in my 20's I might have been less apologetic. ;)

a little more twight here if your into it

http://thechurchofthebigring.com/team-players/mark-twight

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Dec. 13, 2011, 6:04 p.m.

Just finishing Paul quarington's "cigar box banjo". If I get lung cancer I'm going out like quarington did. Told from his pov as he's dying yet it's somehow not depressing.

Dec. 13, 2011, 9:20 p.m.

a friend of mine gave me that a couple years ago and said I had to read it, have since re-read it several times. infact I might burn through a few pages tonight. I wish i would have read his stuff when I was in my 20's I might have been less apologetic. ;)

a little more twight here if your into it

http://thechurchofthebigring.com/team-players/mark-twight

Found a beauty quote in the postscript. "it doesn't have to be fun to be fun." that's how I feel about cycling, working out, and life in general sometimes.

Dec. 13, 2011, 9:23 p.m.

"In the Plex" by Steven Levy. In case you were wondering how Google makes over $20 billion (and growing) a year in revenues, builds and rolls out in-house more servers a year than IBM or Dell sell worldwide, bought and gave away the Android Mobile OS for free and why it reveals virtually nothing about its internal operations. Eye opening and a little scary at the same time …

Dec. 14, 2011, 7:23 a.m.

Just read "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt. Good story and well written - I recommend it.

I'm now reading something completely different in "A Season in Hell" by Robert Fowler. Too early to tell on whether I like it but it's about his kidnapping by Al Qaeda.

Dec. 14, 2011, 7:37 p.m.

I started reading Russel Peters biography, havent got much past the introduction, but the fact that I have it makes me feel like this post is necessary

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

Dec. 15, 2011, 5:02 p.m.

Just starting:

I'm generally not a sci-fi fan (I didn't really get into Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) but since Ender's Game is so popular it might deserve a read.

Was thinking about starting:

I got 50 pages in or so, I'm just not sure I want to commit to reading one of the longest novels ever written. Opinions?

Dec. 15, 2011, 5:59 p.m.

Looking forward to reading these. Though am waiting till after Christmas in case family took the hint for present ideas.

But am really looking forward to this.. inside look at the now legendary Iron War..

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 17, 2011, 11:08 a.m.

Was thinking about starting:

I got 50 pages in or so, I'm just not sure I want to commit to reading one of the longest novels ever written. Opinions?

It is supposed to be world-class literature, a classic - personally I do not understand why.

So far I started it three times, always made the first hundred or so. I just do not like his style, I guess. I thought it pretty boring.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 19, 2011, 11:02 p.m.

Just finished:

Absolutely loved it. One of my new favourites. Did you know that it is suggested reading for many military organizations?

Just starting:

So far so good. Great writing style.

Dec. 20, 2011, 8:17 a.m.

I read the first book (my version is from 1957 so its divided into two 700 page books). Its very very dense. I almost needed a character cheat sheet to go with it. I also found myself looking a lot historical events up (and maps) as I went. I did enjoy it but I wouldnt call it a page turner. To enjoy it, you really have to want to enjoy it I think.

Feb. 1, 2012, 1:49 p.m.

BUMP - any new recommentations?

Just finshed reading a couple of TdF rider memoires (David Millar [HTML_REMOVED] Paul Kimmage).

Feb. 1, 2012, 1:55 p.m.

I just bought this, so far so good - I've always liked books that are written by lawyers and law professors, I find their way of looking at the world to be very clear and concise. The book's basically a rip on fad diets and exercise plans - if you want to read something that most people here would agree with, written in an entertaining voice, pick it up. I generally do everything that the CBC tells me too.

Feb. 1, 2012, 2:08 p.m.

Currently reading this, got it for christmas:

Next on the list are:

Micro by Michael Crichton, also received for christmas

And:

American Sniper, an autobiography by a U.S. Navy Seal sniper. Got really good reviews.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Feb. 1, 2012, 2:46 p.m.

Everyone needs to read this.