Books (not Boobs)

Nov. 4, 2011, 10:14 a.m.

Right now I'm reading

Good choice, Ive read this one about 3 times in the last 8 or so years. The 'illustrated' version is the tits. Someone stole mine.

Nov. 4, 2011, 10:27 a.m.

Good choice, Ive read this one about 3 times in the last 8 or so years. The 'illustrated' version is the tits. Someone stole mine.

Seconded. One of the best I've read in the last few years for sure. And yes the illustrated version is just awesome.

Speaking of Bill Bryson, another of his that is worth reading:

Nov. 4, 2011, 11:20 a.m.

Seconded. One of the best I've read in the last few years for sure. And yes the illustrated version is just awesome.

Speaking of Bill Bryson, another of his that is worth reading:

bill bryson is great! but i came here to recommend kurt vonnegut

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Nov. 4, 2011, 3:39 p.m.

just picked up a used copy of dfw's last (unfinished) novel - i didn't even know it had come out yet!

pity the nation goes on hold again!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 14, 2011, 5:30 p.m.

Just finished:

LOTF was a great quick read. I found it a solid narrative on the human condition of descending into madness and disarray as soon as hope and structure disappears.

Going to start this:

Have never read it before, looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. I figure it's long overdue for me to catch up on some of the classics I've neglected.

Nov. 14, 2011, 5:39 p.m.

Just finished "Drop City" by T.C. Boyle; easy to read but nothing special - a satirical look at the hippie movement in the late 60's. One of his other books that I read a while ago, "The Tortilla Curtain" was much better.

I just started "Bright Shiny Morning" by James Frey - so far it's okay but his writing style is a bit disjointed and hard to follow. One of his other books, "A million pieces" came highly recommended but my library can't seem to find it and I don't feel like forking money over for a hardback.

Nov. 14, 2011, 7:10 p.m.

I'm reading this right now:

It's a good look at how many kids are written-off by teachers if their English is not what is considered standard.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 14, 2011, 7:21 p.m.

For some reason I avoided Cryptonomicon. I was stupid. Loving it.

Nov. 14, 2011, 7:35 p.m.

For some reason I avoided Cryptonomicon. I was stupid. Loving it.

Cryptonomicon is vintage Stephenson from start to finish: short on plot, but long on detail so precise it's exhausting. Every page has a math problem, a quotable in-joke, an amazing idea, or a bit of sharp prose. Cryptonomicon is also packed with truly weird characters, funky tech, and crypto-all the crypto you'll ever need, in fact, not to mention all the computer jargon of the moment. A word to the wise: if you read this book in one sitting, you may die of information overload (and starvation). -Therese Littleton

By the sounds of it, you, sir, are a patient man.

Nov. 16, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

Just finished:

Holy teenage angst batman.

Just starting:

This iPad let's you just devour books.

Nov. 16, 2011, 8:20 p.m.

If you have any interest in science, this is a great read. Nothing even remotely technical, and surprisingly amusing.

Nov. 16, 2011, 9:39 p.m.

By the sounds of it, you, sir, are a patient man.

LOL, I can't really disagree with that review. That said, I have loved what I've read thus far… definitely no patience needed on my part!

Nov. 17, 2011, 4:10 p.m.

I'm nerding out and finishing off the Dune ark with the two books written by Herbert's son. finished the first one, apparently the second sucks more, but I just gotta know!

Check my stuff for sale!

Nov. 26, 2011, 9:28 p.m.

Just finished

I really liked it. It was a page turner. Enough plot to keep you interested, enough description to paint a vivid mental image. It's a must read if you like novels where the characters spend a lot of time in nature.

I started hemingway's "for whom the bell tolls" but I couldn't get through it. Too much random uninteresting chatter, not enough plot.

Nov. 26, 2011, 9:36 p.m.

I also just finished

I usually don't like sci fi books but this one kept me interested. It's short and easy so its a quick read.