Books (not Boobs)

Oct. 11, 2011, 8:01 p.m.

"A Place Called Armageddon" by C.C. Humphreys

He's also written an excellent trilogy based in early Canada including the Battle of the Plains of Abraham centred on the fictional character of Jack Absolute. Highly entertaining and historically accurate.

Funny that this came up. One of the famous satirists that I'm reading about said Canadian writers and media moguls don't have the balls to write about the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, but if this was America it would be an essential part of our historical knowledge.

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:12 p.m.

Did anyone ever read:

I've had so many false starts on that one it's silly. Will try and tackle it again after the Black Swan.

Fantastic book (a few dry sections, but the good parts highly outweigh them).

This was a great read… Mlodinow is a bright man.

Hawkings latest was OK. Very quick read.

I really like Brian Greene. Here's the latest on what's happening in the world of theoretical physics (this shit blows my mind).

Put this one off for a while… he's pretty enamored with himself but good reading so far.

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:40 p.m.

i just started reading 1984…

Oct. 11, 2011, 10:12 p.m.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Oct. 12, 2011, 6:54 a.m.

The Gladwell book ?

Yeah. I actually just gave up on it last night. Too many facts presented in the same format page after page..guy should switch up his writing style a bit now and again.

Oct. 12, 2011, 7:41 a.m.

Edward Abbey "The Fools Progress"

1st time reading Abbey, I like his writing

Oct. 12, 2011, 8:13 a.m.

I'm working on this right now as well. Some great dry humor in there!

Oct. 12, 2011, 8:17 a.m.

Yeah. I actually just gave up on it last night. Too many facts presented in the same format page after page..guy should switch up his writing style a bit now and again.

you nailed it. just read half the book. job done.

Oct. 12, 2011, 8:33 a.m.

I'm working on this right now as well. Some great dry humor in there!

do you have a Buffet Boner too?

I'm in the midst of an assignment about the GEICO purchase…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 12, 2011, 10:09 a.m.

Just finished "Moneyball", I have no idea why I waited so long to read that awesome book.

I read the Kieth Richards auto (just like Cam), but didn't really care for it. If you were a guitar player probably amazing, but I thought it was way too much on how he tuned his guitar and missed so much of what else the reader wanted to know.

Oct. 12, 2011, 9:12 p.m.

Just finished "Moneyball", I have no idea why I waited so long to read that awesome book.

I read the Kieth Richards auto (just like Cam), but didn't really care for it. If you were a guitar player probably amazing, but I thought it was way too much on how he tuned his guitar and missed so much of what else the reader wanted to know.

Is moneyball only interesting if you're into baseball?

I think I'll skip the Keith Richard's bio, I've heard some mixed reviews so far.

Right now I'm reading Ernest Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises", considered one of his best novels. It's a quick read, I just started today and I'm a quarter way through it.

I'm just about to start the "A Game of Thrones" series. I've heard only good things.

Oct. 12, 2011, 9:44 p.m.

I've read Liar's Poker, it's pretty good too.

yeah the Keith book is kinda lame, I'm stuck about 1/2 way through. Scar Tissue is a much better rocker story.

If you like historyish books read Devil in the White City. DiCaprio just purchased the film rights, so read it before it gets ruined..

For Fiction, Chris Moore, or Tom Robbins (all good except Cowgirls, meh)

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 12, 2011, 9:50 p.m.

ooopps, i thought the title said boobs.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Oct. 24, 2011, 8:37 p.m.

3 cups of tea, good easy read and informative on the region, guy seems pretty amazing

Sadly buddy has been found out to be a bit of an exaggerator. Pretty much disgraced. Great book though and of course there are two sides to the story (or is it three?). Link

I just started reading "The Outliers"

Not too into it so far, anyone else read it and found it interesting?

Stick with it. Well worth it - but I found it pretty fascinating from the first page.

Reading Ian McEwan's latest right now and it's off the charts good. He's the boss.

Oct. 24, 2011, 8:52 p.m.

SO far this year I'v read:

"Pygmy" - Chuck Palahniuk
Totally bonkers novel. It realy needs to be turned into a movie.

"Journal of a UFO Investigator" - David Halperin

There have been a couple of others but they escape me right now. I have two new ones coming some day from the VPL. "Read Me" - Neal Stephenson and "The Rum Diaries" - Hunter S. Thompson.

I've also just read

"Blacksad" - Juan Diaz Canales [HTML_REMOVED] Juanjo Guarnido
Superb graphic novel.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/