Books (not Boobs)

Jan. 17, 2015, 5:59 p.m.

I read all the GoT books, then I picked up the Dagger and Coin series by Daniel Abraham. Any recommendations from you fantasy guys? Its usually not my thing, so if its TOO out there, I'll likely lose interest…preferably something that is a series.

Okay, I'm going to try the Dagger and Coin series by Daniel Abraham. I hold you personally responsible if it sucks. ;)

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

Jan. 19, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

Okay, I'm going to try the Dagger and Coin series by Daniel Abraham. I hold you personally responsible if it sucks. ;)

Haha, its good - its not great. Its way easier and less dense than GoT. Thats both a compliment and a complaint. I kinda like the complexity of the 'world' that Martin created. I did like the emphasis on the banking system in Dagger and Coin which is something Martin flirts with in GoT as well.

Jan. 22, 2015, 12:12 p.m.

Stumbled across Fool's Assassin, Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb, checked it out online and found out that she has written quite a few - if she is good, I think I start at the beginning, Assassin's Apprentice which is the first part in a series that quite a few recommend before reading Fool's Assassin.

So…has one of you read one of her books? If so, what do/did you think?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 22, 2015, 1:25 p.m.

Just finished reading "The Power of Habit," by Charles Duhigg. Good book, makes you think about your life and how minute things you do affect your life in a big way.

it's less of a "self help" book and more of a neurological investigation into what makes this bag of water and meat we call the human body do the things it does. it even up scales to how the habit of collective bags of water and meat we call society are affected by a collective routine of habits. it has interesting insights into how an economically failing corporation can turn around to become one of the most successful companies in the world by improving its safety record. it explains how the world was convinced to use toothpaste, even though the habit of teeth brushing existed prior to the introduction of toothpaste. the book struck home with me when it analysed how the London Tube and US Hospitals failed due to "default work" cultures creating dysfunction.

http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Jan. 29, 2015, 1 a.m.

Started with ASSASSiN'S APPRENTICE by ROBIN HOOB. So far pretty good.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 29, 2015, 7:36 a.m.

Audible finally has all of the Culture series. Just started Phlebas.

Feb. 1, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

Getting away from the fantasy feel of this thread. Have been reading a couple of books by Cormac McCarthy recently. All The Pretty Horses and another of the border trilogy. Definitely worth reading.

Feb. 2, 2015, 2:53 a.m.

I like most of Chuck Palahniuk's books that I've read.

Just finished his newest, Beautiful You.

He is an odd, odd dude…

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Feb. 2, 2015, 6:12 a.m.

Ok, finished reading Assassins Apprentice, and am a little disappointed. Not that much intensity and page turning story telling, seems as if a bit of spice is missing. Do not know if I buy part two and three.

Getting away from the fantasy feel of this thread. Have been reading a couple of books by Cormac McCarthy recently. All The Pretty Horses and another of the border trilogy. Definitely worth reading.

I remember flipping through some of his material in book shops, and they made me feel pretty uneasy and definitely not happy at that time. Have not read any excerpt since then, and that was a decade ago.

Am currently reading a small book on war in antiquity by a local historian, and "A Pelican in the Wilderness - hermits, solitaries and recluses" by Isabel Colegate, reads like a collection of philosophical essays on hermits in different cultures. Nothing spectacular, but interesting nonetheless. She even brings up the case of the Russian family that were accidentally discovered in Siberia that somebody posted a link to an article to in the thread about Werner Herzog's Happy People.

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 2, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

All the Pretty Horses was a good one. I really enjoyed it.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 2, 2015, 8:51 p.m.

I like most of Chuck Palahniuk's books that I've read.

Just finished his newest, Beautiful You.

He is an odd, odd dude…

Yeah Palahniuk has been a favourite of mine for a long time. Same with Irvine Welsh.

Blood Red Meridian was definitely alot darker then most of his other stuff, though everything has a slightly sinister feel.

Feb. 8, 2015, 2:28 p.m.

7 months until the last Dagger and Coin book comes out, so I'll need to find something else to read in the meantime. The financial aspect of the series is kinda neat, like a banal kind of magic. I predict rampant inflation.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

Feb. 8, 2015, 2:44 p.m.

yeah he is one my favourites. no country for old men!

the road was really good and blood meridian was pretty interesting as well.

Feb. 8, 2015, 2:47 p.m.

I have been half reading a bunch of stuff lately, A History of Hong Kong, by Frank Welsh, A few other odds and ends of stuff, but nothing really grabbing my attention. Then I found a copy of Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie on the book shelf. I had bought it used a long time ago and it never really caught. getting into it this time.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 23, 2015, 2:34 a.m.

Stuff on my reading list at the moment:

The first two out of personal curiosity and a given necessity in my job…

Started this one - and it is one hell of a book…..if you like stuff like the Bourne movies/James Bond, Homeland and the like - seriously gripping and nice twists and changes in perspective.

And one that I have thought about reading for quite some time…probably one for the summer holidays.

- Kristen Ulmer