Bone Strengthening

Nov. 21, 2009, 10:19 a.m.

So this has been buggig me after a discussion yesterday.

Who is the guy that theorized that bones will toughen after repeated strain?

Nov. 21, 2009, 10:29 a.m.

Steven Seagal.

Nov. 21, 2009, 10:35 a.m.

Steven Seagal.

this

Nov. 21, 2009, 10:52 a.m.

Don't know the guy's name, but there have been several studies on the topic. It is known that bones that are subject to repeated stress are stronger. For example, a pitchers throwing arm will have bones that are stronger than his catching arm.

Velonews has a couple online articles that discuss this. If you'd like, I can ask my wife to find some scientific articles and studies on the topic.

Nov. 21, 2009, 12:18 p.m.

i don't think it is a theory

meh

Nov. 21, 2009, 1:39 p.m.

i don't think it is a theory

It's not a theory. It's accepted fact.

www.pubmed.org will give you a smattering of journal articles that go way over my head on the topic.

Nov. 21, 2009, 1:45 p.m.

A somewhat less painful way would be to increase muscle mass as well.

Nov. 21, 2009, 1:46 p.m.

It's not a theory. It's accepted fact.

www.pubmed.org will give you a smattering of journal articles that go way over my head on the topic.

thanks i had misplace my nejm on this citation

"Portopulmonary hypertension is a rare and severe complication of patients with cirrhosis. Sarcoidosis, a disease of unknown etiology, is also a cause of pulonary hypertension and right heart dysfunction. We report the case of a 51-year-old male patient, suffering from cirrhosis due to Wilson's disease, portal hypertension and pulmonary hypertension (PH), who developed severe pericarditis. Wilson's disease was diagnosed 8 years before his last admission to our hospital and was being successfully treated with D-penicillamine. PH was recognized 2 years before admission and being treated with bosentan. The patient complained for dyspnea at rest and the 2D echocardiogram revealed a significant amount of pericardial fluid. All other causes of acute pericarditis were excluded and his laboratory, imaging and histopathological investigation showed evidence of sarcoidosis. He underwent a therapy with corticosteroids (methylprednisolone) and his follow-up examination showed remarkable decrease of the levels of mean pulmonary artery pressure and pericardial fluid."

meh

Nov. 21, 2009, 3:11 p.m.

Drunk on Saturday at 3:09pm. Your liver must love you.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Nov. 21, 2009, 3:16 p.m.

Drunk on Saturday at 3:09pm. Your liver must love you.

i'm not drinking yet, just posting some bone strengthening exercises.

Nov. 21, 2009, 3:50 p.m.

Is it Julius Wolff? He has a law that states:

bone in a healthy person or animal will adapt to the loads it is placed under. If loading on a particular bone increases, the bone will remodel itself over time to become stronger to resist that sort of loading.

Nov. 21, 2009, 3:54 p.m.

I think you mean bone density. This I believe is not much of a theory anymore. Women past the age of 40 the age correctly have to worry about loss of bone density a condition called Osteoporosis. However this is variable as Menopause will occur at varying times depending upon the individual. One of the recommended preventive measures is physical activity weight training and weight bearing activity.

If I recall correctly this was listed before the 80's as one of the reasons to be active. Magazines like Muscle and Fitness- Joe Weider always brought it up as a benefit to weights. I recall reading a 1974 issue that mentioned this.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 21, 2009, 3:57 p.m.

Is it Julius Wolff? He has a law that states:

Wolff's Law,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff%27s_law

Though there is an updated view of it,

Mechanostat Theorem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah-Paradigm_of_Bone_physiology

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 21, 2009, 7:54 p.m.

My bone has gotten tougher after repeated strain…fyi.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 21, 2009, 10:43 p.m.

ahhahaha this thread delivers