Blue Screen of Death: Need Advice

Feb. 18, 2013, 12:25 p.m.

lol - ad at bottom of this thread is "How to Fix Blue Screen"

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 18, 2013, 12:39 p.m.

Don't phone MS - they'll charge you.

"MS Service" calls me every few months to check my system. They've never said anything about charging me. :dizzy:

Feb. 18, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

lol - ad at bottom of this thread is "How to Fix Blue Screen"

Mine says online virus scan.

Feb. 18, 2013, 1:36 p.m.

what key words are you using to search Craigslist for operating systems? All I am getting is used PC's.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Feb. 18, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

If the laptop came with windows you already have a license key for it and buying a new one is a waste of money. Turn the computer on and start hitting F11 (I believe) to start recovery manager, that will reinstall windows from the recovery partition on your drive. You can also just use the correct type of windows install disk and just use the key from the bottom of your laptop.
I think HP laptops also come with a disk checker and ram testing tool, probably in the same F11 screen. It is not fantastic but should give you an idea of if it is hardware based.
If the fan starts running up before you get a blue-screen then it is likely heat related but not a busted fan. Try blowing the intake and exhaust ports out with a can of air.
Try running prime 95 along with a temp monitoring software (speedfan is what I used to use but it has been a while) letting it run to see if your fan is not ramping up correctly with temp gain.

HP laptops are not too bad, we probably have over 1500 of them in our environment and don't have too many issues.

Feb. 18, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

^^^^^

If you have a working recovery partition, remember that the recovery will erase all your data and personal files and restore your system to a pristine state. So you should back up anything of value beforehand.

Its getting late here in Bangalore … signing out

"Shotgun" Billy-Joe Prakashkuthnanannan.

Feb. 18, 2013, 6:23 p.m.

In a somewhat related note is it possible to retrieve the data from a USB stick that doesn't work anymore? When plugged in, a new drive appears, but when you click on it it says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G:)."

Can you just take it to Future Shop?

My girlfriend thought it would be smart to save her files to a USB instead of on her computer.

www.gnarwhale.com

Feb. 18, 2013, 6:46 p.m.

Thanks for the helpful responses. I ran a hard drive test, everything came back 100% fine. I'll run some other tests too. I'll try system recovery too, but just the standard one, not custom, because I don't have the windows discs handy.

Feb. 18, 2013, 6:52 p.m.

If the laptop came with windows you already have a license key for it and buying a new one is a waste of money. Turn the computer on and start hitting F11 (I believe) to start recovery manager, that will reinstall windows from the recovery partition on your drive. You can also just use the correct type of windows install disk and just use the key from the bottom of your laptop.
I think HP laptops also come with a disk checker and ram testing tool, probably in the same F11 screen. It is not fantastic but should give you an idea of if it is hardware based.
If the fan starts running up before you get a blue-screen then it is likely heat related but not a busted fan. Try blowing the intake and exhaust ports out with a can of air.
Try running prime 95 along with a temp monitoring software (speedfan is what I used to use but it has been a while) letting it run to see if your fan is not ramping up correctly with temp gain.

HP laptops are not too bad, we probably have over 1500 of them in our environment and don't have too many issues.

RAM is working properly too. Also no viruses. Must go deeper.

Feb. 18, 2013, 7:24 p.m.

Currently reformatting my hard drive and restoring factory settings. Hopefully it will be like a new computer when it's over. Yes everything is backed up on an external.

Feb. 18, 2013, 7:27 p.m.

i would def do the mem test. Bad pool sounds like something to do with the memory pool or your pagefile. It could also refer to the memory of your video card, so i would update the drivers for that as well if you can find them…

Feb. 18, 2013, 7:36 p.m.

In a somewhat related note is it possible to retrieve the data from a USB stick that doesn't work anymore? When plugged in, a new drive appears, but when you click on it it says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G:)."

Can you just take it to Future Shop?

I had a SD card go bad (the camera and PC wouldn't ready it properly) and successfully used Wondershare Photo Recovery to recover pictures from it. They also have a general Data Recovery utility.

You could try FS. If they can do it, I bet they charge a high premium for file recovery services.

Feb. 18, 2013, 7:41 p.m.

Currently reformatting my hard drive and restoring factory settings. Hopefully it will be like a new computer when it's over. Yes everything is backed up on an external.

Make sure you iterate through all the Windows updates and then install the latest drivers. Don't install any antiviral/malware software. Let it run for a bit before restoring or re-installing other software.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 18, 2013, 7:44 p.m.

my advice? Using a friends machine put the Ubuntu 12.10 ISO on a thumb drive, throw it in your USB slot, press power and 30 minutes later you'll have a gorgeous, stable, fast, virus free machine for free and without hassle.

i run it daily. Haven't used windows in over a year.

Feb. 18, 2013, 7:57 p.m.

Make sure you iterate through all the Windows updates and then install the latest drivers. Don't install any antiviral/malware software. Let it run for a bit before restoring or re-installing other software.

Good advice here. How long before I can reinstall my antivirus?