Blood Diets.

Feb. 20, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

Please expand on your point.

I may not be educated on the topic but I've spent a lot of time with two people that are very very well educated on the topic and I can't say I've ever heard them say it's antiquated.

If people actually followed it they would be eating much more nutritious and healthier than any fad diet.

Shirk is right. What my mom made for meals in the house and for pack lunches had everything we needed. There was minimal pre made stuff. And despite all the Ass Tripe about blood diets and whatever nonsense we where all healthy. We even ate gasp butter and whole eggs. We ate rice all the time and no problems.

Stuff like this is all about selling books nothing more. And please tone down the whole eating grains is evil crap. Many cultures around the world eat alot of this. Kalenjin eat rice by the pound while the Tarrahumara eat corn. Personally I think the problem around grains is individual tolerance levels.

http://www.philmaffetone.com/2weektest.cfm

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 20, 2013, 12:45 p.m.

The food guide has earned some notoriety because of a history of being unduly influenced by corporate interests and various marketing boards. IMO, that has pretty much been pushed out and it's actually more modernized than it's ever been.

Did you leave out some sarcastic remark after your link to the google search that brings up hundreds of sites that didn't apply any critical thinking to the topic of whole grains?

What Ken said, and I did have some really good links for it, but couldn't find them, so yeah, the link was a bit tongue in cheek because I was being lazy. Some grains are really good though.

Also, if everyone cooked their own food and didn't eat processed stuff, we would all be healthier.

Feb. 20, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

Maybe antiquated isnt the best term. However, how about we just say it is definitely lacking in good information. It is a step up from the previous food guide and far better than the American version.

Oh, and if people think that the food industry no longer has input on the Canada Food Guide, I think you are being a little naive.

Anyway back to my reasoning for calling it (correctly or incorrectly) antiquated:

Nowhere on the food guide does it suggest you cut out trans fats, just that you should limit them.

We still have a whole section dedicate to Milk, (o r its alternatives) when what we should be concerned about it calcium and vitamin D

It constantly tells you to choose products that are low in fat, keeping the whole all fats are bad fear mongering going. Sadly it does not explain the importance of unsaturated fats in your diet.

No where in the guide does it address any sort of caloric intake.

I am sure if I really started thinking about it I could start typing a lot more ;)

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Feb. 20, 2013, 2:06 p.m.

Every time I open this thread, I'm disappointed that it's not a survival guide for vampires.

Feb. 20, 2013, 2:18 p.m.

It is. You non-vampires just don't understand our secret code language.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 20, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

It is. You non-vampires just don't understand our secret code language.

Kn.

What is the PC-term for non-vampires? Its not "muggles" too, is it?

Feb. 20, 2013, 2:59 p.m.

Also, if everyone cooked their own food and didn't eat processed stuff, we would all be healthier.

My parents did the cook it yourself thing. When my brother and I went skiing we didn't buy food we had bagged lunch in our packs. There ws none of this here's your lunch money thing.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 20, 2013, 3:03 p.m.

What is the PC-term for non-vampires? Its not "muggles" too, is it?

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. As a vampire, I might kill you anyhow - for sport.

Meh, not worth it.

Kn.

Feb. 20, 2013, 3:14 p.m.

It constantly tells you to choose products that are low in fat, keeping the whole all fats are bad fear mongering going. Sadly it does not explain the importance of unsaturated fats in your diet.

No where in the guide does it address any sort of caloric intake.

There was a great interview on CBC Radio the other day. The gist of the piece was that the actual, verified scientific evidence about diet and managing weight is that fat isn't the culprit - it's calories / carbs.

It was Q - here's the link - worth listening too.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2011/01/25/who-do-you-trust-for-information-about-a-healthy-diet/

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Feb. 20, 2013, 3:19 p.m.

There was a great interview on CBC Radio the other day. The gist of the piece was that the actual, verified scientific evidence about diet and managing weight is that fat isn't the culprit - it's calories / carbs.

It was Q - here's the link - worth listening too.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2011/01/25/who-do-you-trust-for-information-about-a-healthy-diet/

Yeah, and most calories in a lot of diets come frmo sugars.

Feb. 20, 2013, 3:20 p.m.

carbs spike insulin which spikes fat storage is the short version I read.

some fat actually makes you feel full so you don't stuff your face with quite so much food.

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 20, 2013, 4:06 p.m.

Yeah, and most calories in a lot of diets come frmo sugars.

Americans eat much less fat than they did 40 years ago (when "low fat" stuff started coming on the market), and yet they are much fatter. The reason? They replaced fat intake with carbs and refined sugars.

Feb. 20, 2013, 4:35 p.m.

By "evidence" do you mean theories cooked up based on some rudimentary understanding of chemistry and the human body, or do you mean long-term, double-blind clinical testing using statistically significant sample sizes with all raw results included in a report and the complete report submitted to a peer-reviewed medical journal?

Kn.

The book" Eat right for your type." Discuses about particular chemicals found in particular foods. Then in scientific proven detail describes how that chemical reacts in your body.
If we have different blood types that are so different that Type A is compleatly non compatible with type O then it is safe to assume that different blood types have different chemical properties.
"If" you read the whole book the theories are believable. I dont look at scientific journals at face value. I question all literature and draw my own conclusion.

In the end eating as little processed foods as possible and eating a variety of foods to get all the nutrients you require is probably a good start.
Oh get off the fucking couch, turn off the idiot box and go for a ride!

How about a lil dancing ganja dude that would be cute for smiles? icon.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Feb. 20, 2013, 5:23 p.m.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/NegativeBR/d'adamo.html

It may well turn out that there are important interactions with between certain foods and one's blood type. D'Adamo, unfortunately, offers little in the way of scientific evidence, relying instead on a collection of anecdotal reports and case histories. His speculation that the one gene responsible the ABO blood type could exert such a dominant influence over everything else is unable to stand on its own merits. In the end, D'Adamo adds the caveat that individual variations still occur within blood types, so you shouldn't expect all of his recommendations to apply to you. It's nice to have it both ways, especially where book sales are involved.

Not evidence, not science.

Kn.

Feb. 20, 2013, 6:02 p.m.

I think Michael Pollan summed up healthy eating pretty well in his book Food Rules. Seven simple words: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Done and done.

Ride, don't slide.