bitcoin

Jan. 28, 2021, 1:13 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: chupacabra

I have never done any real investing. For someone with not a lot of disposable cash but willing to sacrifice say 2000$ to 5000$ what is the most affordable option these days? Basically I want to buy and sell stocks, but only with money I can afford to lose... although 5000$ would buy a nice new post pandemic bike.

Buying a handful of decent stocks really isn't going to get you anywhere and investing in lesser know players may pay off, but it takes time and effort to find good bets or some money to pay someone else to do that for you. Of course there's also the risk of losing your investment as well. If you're really interested in creating more wealth beyond having a few grand to play with each year then find a way to create more income by using the skills that you have in capacity that give you a decent return. If you're labour is worth say $50/hr then an extra 20hrs per month will give you $10g a year to play with. Be conservative with your initial investments and after a few years you'll have acquired enough capital to really be able to put your money to work for you. Depending on how old you are, early retirement at 55 or younger becomes a strong possibility. If you're tungsten old and trying to get the wealth ball rolling, well, I've got bad bad news for you.

None of that really applies.  Of course more wealth is always great but I am 48 and have a decent job, savings, house, etc and career wise I am still moving into more lucrative years doing exactly as you suggest.  I just want to do this mainly as a hobby to be honest, which is why I don't want to put much into it.  I had a cat that cost me $5000 in vet bills last year only to die right before Christmas with something unrelated so losing that much in an investment has to feel better than that and my situation financially would not be significantly affected if I did.

Jan. 28, 2021, 1:26 p.m.

None of that really applies.  Of course more wealth is always great but I am 48 and have a decent job, savings, house, etc and career wise I am still moving into more lucrative years doing exactly as you suggest.  I just want to do this mainly as a hobby to be honest, which is why I don't want to put much into it.  I had a cat that cost me $5000 in vet bills last year only to die right before Christmas with something unrelated so losing that much in an investment has to feel better than that and my situation financially would not be significantly affected if I did.

fair enough, but your statement of "not a lot of disposable cash" seemed to suggest something else. still, if you could pack it in at 55 and only work part time or a few months a year would you? if you answer yes to that then the next question should be how.

Jan. 28, 2021, 1:45 p.m.

fair enough, but your statement of "not a lot of disposable cash" seemed to suggest something else. still, if you could pack it in at 55 and only work part time or a few months a year would you? if you answer yes to that then the next question should be how.

Well I just meant my money is mostly spoken for and I don't want to take on any real risk.  I am with you on the semi-retirement plan.  My plan is to go into business for myself in a few years.  I have made a name for myself over the years as a problem solver in a niche part of construction.  It is good money, low overhead, not much competition, and I can do it on my own, but I am not sure if there is a market large enough to justify quitting my job quite yet.  My father in law is an engineer with a consulting company (also in a niche) and manages to keep the income going while semi-retirement by barely working and travelling all the time.  He is where I want to be before too long.

Jan. 28, 2021, 1:52 p.m.

nice that you have a mentor so to speak. the risk thing is the biggest factor imo, and can be hugely offset be getting the investment train started early, like in one's teens even.

i'm on a different plan and still hoping to find a 30yr old sugar momma. the hope is fading tho.

Jan. 28, 2021, 3:05 p.m.

nice that you have a mentor so to speak. the risk thing is the biggest factor imo, and can be hugely offset be getting the investment train started early, like in one's teens even.

i'm on a different plan and still hoping to find a 30yr old sugar momma. the hope is fading tho.

Then find a 50 year old sugar mama.  :)

Ya, I totally missed the boat on being smart with money early.  Too much fun spending money.

Jan. 28, 2021, 4:34 p.m.

This shit show was the kick in the pants I needed to set myself up for a investing account.

Jan. 28, 2021, 4:42 p.m.

The shit show isn’t over.  The squeeze hasn’t been squoze

Jan. 28, 2021, 4:52 p.m.

All is well the same my account isn't set up and I have no major money. I'm not gunna yolo my equity lol

Jan. 28, 2021, 5:39 p.m.

Then find a 50 year old sugar mama.  :)

Ya, I totally missed the boat on being smart with money early.  Too much fun spending money.

Silver Singles.

Jan. 28, 2021, 9:04 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: ReductiMat

Imagine borrowing the same car from two different people and having the Government take your side when the two ask for it back.

Now that's naked shorting, which is not the same as plain vanilla shorting.  And naked shorting is actually illegal (though poorly enforced).

It is an example of how GME got to 140% short and why we are in unprecedented times.

Jan. 28, 2021, 9:09 p.m.

At least one billionaire incriminated himself on CNBC saying they stopped selling to protect themselves and he wouldn’t let it trade until it went back down to $17 where he think it belongs.

You know, the chairman and founder of the largest electronic trading platform in the US.

Jan. 28, 2021, 9:40 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

At least one billionaire incriminated himself on CNBC saying they stopped selling to protect themselves and he wouldn’t let it trade until it went back down to $17 where he think it belongs.

You know, the chairman and founder of the largest electronic trading platform in the US.

is there a clip of that on YouTube?

edit: Found the WSB thread about it.  

Criminal.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Jan. 28, 2021, 9:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 29, 2021, 5:39 p.m.

Dogecoin is next.

Jan. 30, 2021, 11:14 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Dogecoin is next.

What sort of tech is behind it? Its still a low intro price but that doesn't always matter.

Thether (and ergo theta i think) have Samsungs support as well as one or two others.

Jan. 30, 2021, 11:20 a.m.

Im with Adam West and just started a trading account.

I'm gonna YOLO a grand into AMC and GME on Monday when my deposit clears as that is the one that still has the highest volume of shorts on it.

It's not even about the money for me. I just wanna hurt these guys.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 30, 2021, 11:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.