Bike friendly craft brewpubs

June 18, 2020, 4:19 p.m.

Whilst I'm pretty familiar with the North Shore breweries, I'm not up-to-speed on those south of the harbour.

So which breweries have a decent patio where you can roll up on your bike (and still have it within touching distance whilst having a drink or two or three...)

Food not important!

I don't have a beater bike so security critical. Looking for something North of 1st.

Thanks

(Edit: changed the thread title to be more useful)

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on June 19, 2020, 10:14 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed the title to expand the search!
June 18, 2020, 6:27 p.m.

This needs to be front page nsmb, not lingering in nbr!

1. Support local - Bridge, Wildeye and our fave Black Kettle are super bike safe

2.  To answer your Q, Parallel 49 is your best bet with bike racks next to the patio and big glass windows.  

There are several more along the Adanac bike route, but they are all poor security situation IMO.   Bomber & Off the Rail has a bike rack, bit no windows.   Check with off the Rail though, I hear they are bike friendly  

3. Pedal on over to Port Moody and check out the new Fraser Mills Fermentation!  Partially owned by a long time NSMB user. (Not me).  Big wide windows out front and Im going to go bug them for a bike rack right now....  @frasermillsfc.  We rode there completely off road except the second narrows.  Gravel path & trail to SFU and along the Barnet.

June 18, 2020, 9:51 p.m.

Ha, I'm a regular at the Black Kettle. They've now expanded the patio so even more bike friendly (in fact, last week I did a lap of Fromme and then rode straight to the Kettle and even though they were really busy, they let me park my bike at the back of the brewery - so big thumbs up from me).

Also big fan of the WildEye...great set up with bike rack and great visibility of bikes. In fact, I managed to squeeze in a few beers after this evenings ride....

Hearthstone is another one with bike friendly patio but not been there for some time and I'm not sure whether they are currently open.

Deep Cove brewery has a few spots outside, so bike friendly if you get an outside spot and don't have a lock. (There is also a proper bike rack).

Beere is another spot which is (sorta) bike friendly. Not so sure about Green Leaf...not sure I'd leave a bike outside there.

House of Funk - only been there once but not really bike friendly from memory.

Not sure about some of the newer breweries, and I've not been to the Bridge for a while (aren't they moving to Lonsdale area?).

Funnily enough, on tonight's road ride I also a scoped out Bomber and Off The Rails. Bomber is a fail for me as no patio whereas Off The Rails has a (very small) drinking area (I wouldn't call it a patio) but no seats. My compadres refused to stand up (tarts!) so that was a refusal (but a possibility). We also looked at Parallel 49 but they had a big line up and bike racks were full. Will go back sometime but needs a decent bike lock!

Anyone else - feel free to post up your thoughts on this very important topic! Northpoint? Streetcar? Anyone know?

I also want to try Port Moody but not a fan of the Barnett Hwy. I guess there's always the SkyTrain if I drink too much...😉

June 18, 2020, 10:59 p.m.

There is so many breweries in "Yeast Van" but besides 49 and Red Truck the bike security is suspect at most. Callister has great beers but your bike is out of view and in that hood is a target for sure ....Stay on the shore, it's safer..... 😀

Last edited by: Brocklanders on June 18, 2020, 11:02 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 18, 2020, 11:16 p.m.

None of the ones in that neighborhood really have good patios, at least that I'm aware of? Certainly nothing as nice as WildEye. The CoV is talking about adding outdoor seating with minimal paperwork to provide some relief from the covid seating restrictions, so this might change in the very near future. Right now I'd probably just buy cans and take them to a park somewhere, but it's certainly not really the bike + bar experience.

In terms of breweries in that neighborhood, if you're in to sours Temporal/Luppolo are good. Strange Fellows will have some interesting stuff on tap, but also no patio. Container brewing always seems to have a bunch of bikes on cars out front, so they're probably pretty sympathetic but I'm not super into IPAs and their non-IPAs have been suspect so far.

June 19, 2020, 4:39 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

I also want to try Port Moody but not a fan of the Barnett Hwy. I guess there's always the SkyTrain if I drink too much...😉

Unless you are on a skinny tire bike, gravel paths can be followed all the way to Fraser Mills Fermentation co, who have confirmed they have a bike rack out front their large windows. 

From 2nd Narrows, ride the TCT trail through Montrose Park, Penzance Dr, Scenic Park, neighbourhood over to Drummonds Walk Urban trail. 

Cross Barnet at Velodrome, and find the Velodrome trail behind the drome. Trail to Mountain Air, keep going along the powerline to Suncor, then cross Barnet to the north.   From there, single track trail leads you past Reed Point Marina and comes out on Short St.  just a few blocks from the breweries!   All trail, with two lighted intersections to cross the hwy.

June 19, 2020, 4:42 a.m.

And not that its allowed in yeastvan to drink in parks, but there are a lot of parks in the hood before the bridge.  For frisbee or dog walking, you know?

June 19, 2020, 5:49 a.m.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBlkRtqn13p/?igshid=h84q9n61fsty

June 19, 2020, 9:02 a.m.

In fact, I just saw that Fraser Mills has a huge patio instead of the parking lot out front!

(Yes, I am trying to get you all to check out the new guys in town).  Biggles604 will appreciate it. 

https://frasermillsfermentation.com/beer-menu/

June 19, 2020, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

In fact, I just saw that Fraser Mills has a huge patio instead of the parking lot out front!

(Yes, I am trying to get you all to check out the new guys in town).  Biggles604 will appreciate it. 

https://frasermillsfermentation.com/beer-menu/

Gunna ride my gravel bike on this route have a beer. 😀

June 19, 2020, 10:04 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Gunna ride my gravel bike on this route have a beer. 😀

Sweet!  We found the Barnet hwy bike lane to be pretty good too if you aren't in rush hour, but that was during greater lockdown times.   A lot quicker than the gravel, but only 10% of the fun.

June 19, 2020, 10:07 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Unless you are on a skinny tire bike, gravel paths can be followed all the way to Fraser Mills Fermentation co, who have confirmed they have a bike rack out front their large windows. 

From 2nd Narrows, ride the TCT trail through Montrose Park, Penzance Dr, Scenic Park, neighbourhood over to Drummonds Walk Urban trail. 

Cross Barnet at Velodrome, and find the Velodrome trail behind the drome. Trail to Mountain Air, keep going along the powerline to Suncor, then cross Barnet to the north.   From there, single track trail leads you past Reed Point Marina and comes out on Short St.  just a few blocks from the breweries!   All trail, with two lighted intersections to cross the hwy.

I wouldn't choose to ride my mountain bike out that way from the NS so I'm usually on my road bike but I also have a cross bike that I can get 32mm tyres on...so are we talking "gravel paths" or lumpy/rough/technical single track?

June 19, 2020, 10:22 a.m.

90% smooth pea gravel or pavement, 9% gravelly singletrack and 1% CBC rock paving that can easily be walked In 2 minutes. My wife rode it happily twice now on her Liv Avail Road Endurance bike with 32 road fondo tires. 

A cross bike, no issue at all. 

My Giant Revolt ate it up.

Last edited by: heckler on June 19, 2020, 10:36 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
June 19, 2020, 10:34 a.m.

June 19, 2020, 10:43 a.m.