Big OHL hit

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:22 p.m.

this video shows it way better than the cbc one. fanelli had a quick look up ice at the dot as he went thru the circle and then was looking at the puck to corall it and pass it out to one of his players who happened to be on the opposite side of the ice as liambis. he didn't turn his head at the last minute to avoid the hit. 40 -45 sec shows it clearly.

That is a better video, but it also shows more clearly that his elbow was down. You can see the yellow stripe on his jersey with his elbow tucked in on impact.

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:23 p.m.

um, no its not. if it was no one would be making an issue about this.

the issue is hitting someone outside of the rules

anyone come down on scott stevens for crushing lindros?

meh

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:24 p.m.

spoken like someone who's never taken a big hit on the boards.

I played industrial league getting hit by SK farmboys quite a big bigger then you.

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:24 p.m.

wrong, it is part of the game

yup - and i argue that mentality needs to be removed from the game. then again i don't see the point in boxing or mma as sport. to me sport should be about something other that trying to phsically harm someone by beating them in the head or trying to break and arm.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:25 p.m.

There's your problem.

They were little wee kids who weren't that serious. No hockey parents yelling at me - no dreams of being the great one. It was fun actually. Just the 4am ice times sucked

That is a better video, but it also shows more clearly that his elbow was down. You can see the yellow stripe on his jersey with his elbow tucked in on impact.

initially yes, it is down but it comes up as he follows thru with the hit.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

yes a few feet out is worse than right on the boards - not denying that.
i'd rather get hit open ice than on the boards tho.

the only time i've ever been hurt taking a hit on the boards is when i moved and my hand got crushed by his hip, other than that i could sit there all day and take hits, i played defence most of my life so i know exactly the type of hit you are going to take behind the net there and everytime i would b shoulder to the boards ready for the hit

meh

close to the boards is not the safest place to take a hit because there's no energy dissapation over distance.

Yeah, I don't get this statement either. I've been hit quite a few times while right against the boards. 6" from the boards stings a bit. Right up against them and you slingshot back. Quite often the hitter falls down, and you skate away clean.

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:27 p.m.

I played industrial league getting hit by SK farmboys quite a big bigger then you.

i've got hit by guys bigger than me too. and i'd rather take an open ice hit by one of those guys than get pasted onto the boards by someone who can run at me with speed from the blueline.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:29 p.m.

the reason is to impede the other player from making a play, passing the puck successfully ect. Hitting or checking is part of the game, anhiliating another player is not.

When Willie Mitchell blew up Jonathan Tewes two weeks ago everyone in Vancouver was cheering.

Trevor Linden is idolized for his hit that put a player through the glass.

It is part of the game. It is a violent game. And part of the reason why Canada is so good at it is because we are good at the violent parts of it.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

the only time i've ever been hurt taking a hit on the boards is when i moved and my hand got crushed by his hip, other than that i could sit there all day and take hits, i played defence most of my life so i know exactly the type of hit you are going to take behind the net there and everytime i would b shoulder to the boards ready for the hit

i played defence as well, and got hit like that too - shoulder to shoulder, shoulder to my chest, etc.

did you ever get hit when a guy had a clear run at you from the blueline?

Ellen Langer

i've got hit by guys bigger than me too. and i'd rather take an open ice hit by one of those guys than get pasted onto the boards by someone who can run at me with speed from the blueline.

That explains everything - particularly the sandwiches

yup - and i argue that mentality needs to be removed from the game. then again i don't see the point in boxing or mma as sport. to me sport should be about something other that trying to phsically harm someone by beating them in the head or trying to break and arm.

think you might be in the wrong thread then, try this one

http://bb.nsmb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

meh

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:31 p.m.

They were little wee kids who weren't that serious. No hockey parents yelling at me - no dreams of being the great one. It was fun actually. Just the 4am ice times sucked

the worst part of hockey - getting up waaay to early to play.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2009, 2:33 p.m.

That explains everything - particularly the sandwiches

i got my bell rung more from board hits than open ice hits.

Ellen Langer