Big OHL hit

Nov. 5, 2009, 12:37 p.m.

There is no respect among players anymore. Just because the hit is technically legal doesn't mean you need to do it. Its only going to get worse until someone dies and that will force the leagues to make rules that prevent such events from happening.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Nov. 5, 2009, 12:45 p.m.

I am by no means a fan of Bob McKenzie, but this column is pretty well written and makes some good points

http://tsn.ca/columnists/?id=297242

Nov. 5, 2009, 12:48 p.m.

Moose: Are you blaming the player or the system?

Kids playing at this level- the highest there is for Junior hockey w/ the exception of those capable of playing NHL- you are told to always finish your checks. Going in soft will either get you hurt or cut.

Same in other sports. Think a linebacker in football would be allowed to go soft on a hit? Think a fullback in soccer will be going in light on a tackle? He's been told his whole life to get stuck-in, he's not going to hold back.

Christ.

Yes, this kid got hurt, and it looks bad. I feel terrible for his family. But, at the same time, I'm not going to witch hunt the other kid who did as he's always been told, w/ no malicious intent. He probably feels terrible and responsible as it is, and all he was doing was playing the game the best way he has been taught. It's not a matter of lack of respect; it is a matter of playing the game the way they've been taught to play. Full stop.

Give me strength.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 5, 2009, 12:56 p.m.

Make no mistake; there should be no celebration here. There are no winners. There's a 16-year old kid in a Hamilton hospital and he's in a real bad way and no one knows for sure what his future holds. As for Liambas, he isn't the devil. He is, by all accounts, a good kid, a bright student, a good teammate and a solid member of his community. He is unquestionably distressed and distraught over what has happened because it was never his intent. In his own way, he's a victim too, though no one should equate that to what Fanelli is experiencing. Let's hope Liambas is able to work his way through this and as disappointing as losing his final season of junior eligibility may be, if he chooses to continue playing the game he will have some options to do that. And let us pray that Ben Fanelli recovers and can become whole again.

Best section of the article. This was written by a man who "gets" it when it comes to team sports, and this particular incident. I still think the suspension is complete bullshit. It's going to paint a good kid as evil for the rest of his life, for doing something that wasn't malicious, and only deemed illegal because his opponent turned his body at the very last split second when it was too late to stop the forward momentum.

Crock-of-shit.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Nov. 5, 2009, 12:57 p.m.

But he doesnt stride. Watch it closely. He coasts for the last 10 feet, from well beyond the goal line.

dude he took a stride right on the goal line

and Fanelli turned his body to pass the puck not avoid the hit, he might not have even seen the guy coming at him.

Suspension is just imo.

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:13 p.m.

Moose: Are you blaming the player or the system?

Both. From an early age in hockey you are taught two things, protect the puck and finish your checks. Protecting the puck usually means you are facing the boards with your back to the ice. Finishing your checks is pretty self explanatory. They are being taught different things that contradict each other.

Both players involved were doing what has been ingrained in them since they first started playing contact hockey.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:15 p.m.

fuck mike you're out to lunch on this one. liambis came crusing in from the blue line and fanelli probably didn't even see him until the last second, hence a very natural reaction to turn away from the hit. add to that the fact that liambis brought his elbow up and i'd say the suspension is fully justified.

maybe we need to re-evaluate the way we coach the game and instruct kids to play. the mentality is to simply go out and punish the other guy as hard as you can - that needs to change imo.

from tsn article: conventional hockey culture wisdom is as follows: As long a hockey player uses his shoulder, keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't blatantly hit an opposing player from behind, the hitter is encouraged to travel as fast as he can as far as he needs to in order to hit a player as hard as he can.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

Still don't see where the suspension is warranted. Kids are also taught how to take hit properly, to NOT turn your back on an oncomming hit, so…

Anyhow…hope the young man recovers. That's what really matters.

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:21 p.m.

Synch: do you teach linebackers to hold back? Honestly. You don't actually believe this kid meant to maim, did you? Why did he turn away? BECAUSE HE SAW THE PLAYER COMING! He knew the hit was about to happen! He made a bad choice!

A year? Maybe we should review some truly dirty recent hits in this game, and look at what those got.

If your argument is that there is a flaw in the system, I'll accept that. If your argument is that it is justifiable to scapegoat this kid because of a flaw in the system, no way, I don't accept that.

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:29 p.m.

I am no hockey expert, but to me that looks like an unfortunate accident and I can't see why he should be suspended. Liambas was only about 3 feet away when Fanelli started spinning to face the boards. Liambas wouldn't have even received a penalty if the kid got up and skated away. Maybe 16 year olds shouldn't be playing with 20 year old locomotives.

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:30 p.m.

fuck mike you're out to lunch on this one. liambis came crusing in from the blue line and fanelli probably didn't even see him until the last second, hence a very natural reaction to turn away from the hit. add to that the fact that liambis brought his elbow up and i'd say the suspension is fully justified.

maybe we need to re-evaluate the way we coach the game and instruct kids to play. the mentality is to simply go out and punish the other guy as hard as you can - that needs to change imo.

you're right he probably didn't even see him until the last second, BECUASE he turned his body to play the puck.

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:30 p.m.

Synch: do you teach linebackers to hold back? Honestly. You don't actually believe this kid meant to maim, did you? Why did he turn away? BECAUSE HE SAW THE PLAYER COMING! He knew the hit was about to happen! He made a bad choice!

A year? Maybe we should review some truly dirty recent hits in this game, and look at what those got.

If your argument is that there is a flaw in the system, I'll accept that. If your argument is that it is justifiable to scapegoat this kid because of a flaw in the system, no way, I don't accept that.

you can't compare the speed of football to the speed of hockey - there is simply no comparison. i've played both so i know the difference of hitting/getting hit at full speed in both sports. one has the potential to kill you - the other other doesn't.

liambias probabaly wasn't thinking i'm going to maim or kill this kid in the true sense, but you sure can bet that he was going in thinking i'm going to smoke this guy. it's semantics and rationalization. the problem not only exists with the player but the system within which that player has been brought up. there is no connection made between hitting a guy as hard as you can an killing or seriously injuring someone. that needs to happen. hockey culture needs to change to catch up to the speed the game is now played at.

i stopped being a hockey fan a while ago because what's on tv is not the game i loved to play and watch.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:33 p.m.

Suspension is warranted for the charging and elbow. He railed roaded that kid on purpose.

The injured kid should have know he was coming and certainly not turned into the boards.

As a coach you show this reply to the team from two sides.

A: keep you head up and NEVER turn away from a hit.

B: You run someone like that and you had better enjoy fighting because someone bigger is going to rip your head off don't be an idiot. There is a time and place to finish your check and that wasn't it.

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:36 p.m.

you can't compare the speed of football to the speed of hockey - there is simply no comparison. i've played both so i know the difference of hitting/getting hit at full speed in both sports. one has the potential to kill you - the other other doesn't.

liambias probabaly wasn't thinking i'm going to maim or kill this kid in the true sense, but you sure can bet that he was going in thinking i'm going to smoke this guy. it's semantics and rationalization. the problem not only exists with the player but the system within which that player has been brought up. there is no connection made between hitting a guy as hard as you can an killing or seriously injuring someone. that needs to happen. hockey culture needs to change to catch up to the speed the game is now played at.

i stopped being a hockey fan a while ago because what's on tv is not the game i loved to play and watch.

Quoted for awsomeness.

One minor correction though, a collision of two football players running a full-speed in the opposite direction could cause some major damage if the tackler goes for the head. Regarless, that would be a suspendible action as well.

Can't see how anyone can say that (a) wasn't a change, and (b) wasn't a hit to the head. Go ahead and argue the severity of the suspension, but that was far from a clean hit.

Nov. 5, 2009, 1:36 p.m.

I am no hockey expert, but to me that looks like an unfortunate accident and I can't see why he should be suspended. Liambas was only about 3 feet away when Fanelli started spinning to face the boards. Liambas wouldn't have even received a penalty if the kid got up and skated away. Maybe 16 year olds shouldn't be playing with 20 year old locomotives.

it's not an unfortuante accident. and accident is something that could not have been prevented. liambis had an unfettered line at fanelli from outside the blue line.

even if fanelli wasn't facing the boards he would have still been seriously hurt. getting hit in that zone, about 3-6ft away from the boards is probably the most single dangerous way to get hit in hockey.

i'd be all for a rule that says if a guy is within 2m of the boards you can't hit him into the boards. if a rule like that was in place liambis could still have hit fanelli but the results wouldn't have been as catastrophic.

or liambis could have kept his elbow down.

Ellen Langer