Best pepperoni pizza in Metro Van?

Sept. 10, 2022, 1:53 p.m.

For me it used to be Amadeus Pizza down by the entrance to Granville Island - but they have been gone for a long time. Dominos good ol Pepperoni Pizza feast always rings the happy bell for me, but I am wondering about any other places that have really good pepperoni pizza.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 13, 2022, 10:22 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 11, 2022, 8:34 a.m.

Straight outta Brooklyn on Kingsway and Fraser makes a good greasy pepperoni. Warning it's the kind that makes the paper plate transparent but for me that's just what quality looks like.

Sept. 11, 2022, 9:47 a.m.

If you haven't had ajs Brooklyn pizza joint at Broadway and main, you can consider your life incomplete. It is incomprehensible how good it is.

Sept. 13, 2022, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

For me it used to be Amadeus Pizza down by the entrance to Granville Island - but have gone for a long time. Dominos good ol Pepperoni Pizza feast always rings the happy bell for me, but am wondering about and other places that have good pepperoni.

My wife doesn't like Domino's for some reason so we never order from there, but I agree.  They have the best Pepperoni pizza of all the big chains.  Decent wings too.

Sept. 13, 2022, 1:54 p.m.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g154949-d2262273-Reviews-Emilio_Finatti_Sicillian_Pizzeria-White_Rock_British_Columbia.html

this ^^ place in white rock was really good pizza and buddy signed each carton with a marker

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 13, 2022, 1:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 20, 2022, 11:11 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

If you haven't had ajs Brooklyn pizza joint at Broadway and main, you can consider your life incomplete. It is incomprehensible how good it is.

I finally tried this pizza last week, and it was damn good.

Sept. 23, 2022, 9:46 a.m.

Posted by: J.Stubb

Posted by: RAHrider

I finally tried this pizza last week, and it was damn good.

Do they sell by the slice?  I don't live down there but I would love to try them out for lunch when I am in the area.

Sept. 23, 2022, 10:39 a.m.

AJ's does sell by the slice, I live just down from them. I honestly prefer Straight Outta Brooklyn (Kingsway/Fraser) for NY style slice pie.

My favourite pepperoni is from Sunrise Pizza on Commercial near Venables. Greasy greek style with lots of cheese, so damn good.

Last edited by: grambo on Sept. 23, 2022, 10:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 26, 2022, 5:59 p.m.

Had a slice of Straight outta Brooklyn pepperoni pizza today & it was pretty damn good. Greasy & the pepperoni was just right.

Oct. 26, 2022, 6:10 p.m.

Man, the thing with the pepperoni pizza is that it's so simple. Like fuck 4 ingredients if you count dough, I find most pizza place's always throw too many toppings on pizza, or like too much shit period so the doughs always soggy and you feel ripped off having to re bake the pizza you just paid 60 bucks for..

With pepperoni pizza its almost always going to be cooked proper, you gotta try to fuck this shit up.

the old ladies sourdough starter she started back in early covid days is really kicking out the bangers of home made pizza doughs too! Our favourite is pulled pork with pickled jalapenos!

fuck i love pizza

Last edited by: Adam-West on Oct. 26, 2022, 6:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 26, 2022, 7:37 p.m.

We went to AJs last week and I gotta say I was a little disappointed. We ordered a Detroit style, the square shaped inch and half thick pizza. The crust? Amazing. The toppings? To die for. What did they do at the end? They poured cold tomato sauce all over it. Not only did I feel like the tomato sauce was unnecessary but it literally tasted like they had just pulled it out of the fridge. It was slightly warm but only because it had pulled the heat out of the pizza itself. 

I pointed it out and they tossed it in the oven for a minute but then it was overdone in dry and spots..in other words a masterpiece ruined by the final step...it was tragic.

Oct. 27, 2022, 7:17 p.m.

I think you are sposed to par-bake the crust before you put the topping on AND don't put anything in the middle  cuz the toppings will make it a soggy mess, leave the middle with nothing and the toppings will migrate to the middle

Oct. 28, 2022, 9:52 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I think you are sposed to par-bake the crust before you put the topping on AND don't put anything in the middle cuz the toppings will make it a soggy mess, leave the middle with nothing and the toppings will migrate to the middle

I dont know what you mean but essentially what they did was make the perfect pizza and pour cold tomato sauce all over it. Such a frustrating error in its needlessness.

If the added tomato sauce had been hot it would have been bliss. If there had been no added tomato sauce on the top it would have been awesome as well.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Oct. 28, 2022, 9:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 29, 2022, 11:28 a.m.

Par boiling par baking or blanching is half cooking the food before actualy cooking it to serve,

they do with fries so cooking is  faster also fries don't turn brown and they tend to be more crispy i'm not sure about pizza to be honest

Half bake the crust (AKA parbaking )  don't put too much sauce in the middle or too many toppings the Pizza is less likely to be a soggy mess

Oct. 29, 2022, 11:50 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Had a slice of Straight outta Brooklyn pepperoni pizza today & it was pretty damn good. Greasy & the pepperoni was just right.

I don't usually agree with your politics and often find your jokes to be groaners so I'm debating if I can trust your judgement on pizza. However, the fact that you like to ride Cypress definitely ups your street cred though. It's kind of a toss up tbh. 

There is a SoB right on my drive home from work today so it would be easy to stop in for some pie. As an added bonus I can also swing by AJ's on the same trip to do an A/B comparison. The question of the day is can I eat two large pepperoni pizzas tonight and still feel good about myself in the morning?