Best location to live in Van for a newcomer?

Feb. 24, 2014, 6:58 p.m.

Looks like East Van could be a goer! !

North Burnaby prolly better.

As Buster pointed out, too much crime in East Van. Criminals here stalk peeps with Aussie surnames 'cause they know they can quick turn a snowboard into crack, eh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 24, 2014, 10:12 p.m.

Why are you switching from whistler to Vancouver?

Cuz he wants to partake in the weekend pilgrimage to whistler.

I was going to suggest either Sydney or Victoria and let him figure out what I meant by that ;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 24, 2014, 10:43 p.m.

Cuz he wants to partake in the weekend pilgrimage to whistler.

I was going to suggest either Sydney or Victoria and let him figure out what I meant by that ;)

I wouldn't listen to this guy, he wasn't much help years ago. Obviously our aussie charm still hasn't worked on his distaste for us haha.

:fu: :fu:

Feb. 25, 2014, 10:26 a.m.

I wouldn't listen to this guy, he wasn't much help years ago. Obviously our aussie charm still hasn't worked on his distaste for us haha.

:fu: :fu:

Hahaha. I don't recall that, but it most probably is true. FYI I know less than nothing about Vancouver.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 25, 2014, 12:20 p.m.

I am living in Mount Pleasant which is great but I'd vote Hastings-Sunrise for sure - that's where I plan to settle down longer term. Less than 10 minutes by car to the north shore mountains, only an extra 5-10 minutes to Whistler vs. north van, easy bus / ride downtown, cool vibe, nice eats and drinks around. Has it all. I lived at Hastings and Nanaimo and I think that's about perfect.

It's also one of the cheapest neighbourhoods in Van but obviously a lot more money than the burbs. I would rather pay the extra cost and/or sacrifice some space to have a much better quality of life (for me) though.

Feb. 25, 2014, 12:31 p.m.

As Buster pointed out, too much crime in East Van. Criminals here stalk peeps with Aussie surnames 'cause they know they can quick turn a snowboard into crack, eh?

I think the crime thing is mostly an old wive's tale. I've lived in east van a few years now and it's pretty darn safe. There is more house break-ins and general crime in the burbs and a LOT more drug/gang activity south of the Fraser. I think it's east van's lack of teenagers, which is one of my favourite things about the area.

All east van has is the shopping cart pushers, who are pretty harmless for the most part.

North Bby is just as expensive as east van but without anything to do.

Feb. 25, 2014, 1:26 p.m.

All east van has is the shopping cart pushers, who are pretty harmless for the most part.

Harmless until you get into a heated debate with them over shopping cart wheelsizes.
:D

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 25, 2014, 1:44 p.m.

Commercial Drive is a great area. Short commute times by bike most places in the city. Sky train is right there so you can be downtown in a matter of minutes. B-Line will take you to UBC pretty quickly. Plus like BB said great restaurants in the area plus a couple of good bars. St Augustines has an ever changing list of craft beers on tap.

Feb. 25, 2014, 3:18 p.m.

Our old 'hood-Vancouver Heights-between Hwy 1 and Boundary Road was a really awesome place to live. The neighborhood is picturesque, quiet and didn't see any crime to speak of. Lots of good amenities nearby and really easy to get over to the shore for riding. We really miss Cioffi Market. But yea, kinda boring compared to the Commercial or Main street area for someone who is into the night life.

Feb. 25, 2014, 3:58 p.m.

I'd vote Hastings-Sunrise for sure - that's where I plan to settle down longer term. Less than 10 minutes by car to the north shore mountains, only an extra 5-10 minutes to Whistler vs. north van, easy bus / ride downtown, cool vibe, nice eats and drinks around. Has it all. I lived at Hastings and Nanaimo and I think that's about perfect.

It's also one of the cheapest neighbourhoods in Van but obviously a lot more money than the burbs. I would rather pay the extra cost and/or sacrifice some space to have a much better quality of life (for me) though.

I concur. we've been here for about a decade now [HTML_REMOVED] hastings-sunrise / the newly rebranded east village is maturing / gentrifying nicely. some great amenities within walking distance on hastings [HTML_REMOVED] commercial (including 4 breweries), and quick access to the shore [HTML_REMOVED] dt.

Feb. 25, 2014, 6:37 p.m.

You had me at 4 Breweries….. So Hastings sounds like a good option too. Plus shopping cart pushers can provide me entertaining social commentary while I have some down time!

Feb. 25, 2014, 8:04 p.m.

I think the crime thing is mostly an old wive's tale…. All east van has is the shopping cart pushers, who are pretty harmless for the most part. .

You are one of our local crack smokers, no?

I have here in my hand a flyer deposited in my mail slot this past wk from the Grandview-Woodland Community Policing Centre ( [HTML_REMOVED] note Canadian spelling) stating "Received Reports of Suspicious Activety"….."unusual increase in Residential Break-and-Enters"…."the Hot Spot"….etc. etc.

This is the 3rd or 4th one of these we've received in the 17years we've lived in the 3rd and Vic area.

I can regal you with numerous stories of how some creep calmly smashed the window out on the back door of the home next to us and entered while the neighbour lady was screaming at him she was calling the police…the woman up the street who left her front door open in the middle of the afternoon to go into the backyard and caught some guy walking out her front with and armload of goods when she returned…my neighbours Civic was stolen three (3) fucking times before he finally wised up and put a club on it.

Years ago some cocksucker stole $1000.00+ worth of my sailing kit outta' the trunk of my car and last summer it received $1000.00 worth of damage to the steering gear from some fuck attempting to steal it.

Maybe it was that guy a couple weeks prior I observed slowly walking down the ally from Lakewood to Vict. Dr. taking time to case the backyard of each and every property as he went.

This place is crime fucking central homey. In case you hadn't noticed, our postal code, which stats Canada uses to delineate relative wealth, encompasses the poorest demographic in all of Canada.

We live, if not precisely in, then adjacent to the worst ghetto in all of Canada.

The army of heroin/crack/meth addicted ghouls from which march forth each and every night canvas us constantly in search of those who've left their guard down.

These filth are only a 10min (free) bus ride from going to "work".

You live in this neighbourhood you better have your shit be buttoned up tight before you lay your head to rest.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 26, 2014, 12:57 a.m.

Holy shit man, you make it out to be a lot worse than it actually is.

flickr

Feb. 26, 2014, 10:23 a.m.

You are one of our local crack smokers, no?

I have here in my hand a flyer deposited in my mail slot this past wk from the Grandview-Woodland Community Policing Centre ( [HTML_REMOVED] note Canadian spelling) stating "Received Reports of Suspicious Activety"….."unusual increase in Residential Break-and-Enters"…."the Hot Spot"….etc. etc.

This is the 3rd or 4th one of these we've received in the 17years we've lived in the 3rd and Vic area.

I can regal you with numerous stories of how some creep calmly smashed the window out on the back door of the home next to us and entered while the neighbour lady was screaming at him she was calling the police…the woman up the street who left her front door open in the middle of the afternoon to go into the backyard and caught some guy walking out her front with and armload of goods when she returned…my neighbours Civic was stolen three (3) fucking times before he finally wised up and put a club on it.

Years ago some cocksucker stole $1000.00+ worth of my sailing kit outta' the trunk of my car and last summer it received $1000.00 worth of damage to the steering gear from some fuck attempting to steal it.

Maybe it was that guy a couple weeks prior I observed slowly walking down the ally from Lakewood to Vict. Dr. taking time to case the backyard of each and every property as he went.

This place is crime fucking central homey. In case you hadn't noticed, our postal code, which stats Canada uses to delineate relative wealth, encompasses the poorest demographic in all of Canada.

We live, if not precisely in, then adjacent to the worst ghetto in all of Canada.

The army of heroin/crack/meth addicted ghouls from which march forth each and every night canvas us constantly in search of those who've left their guard down.

These filth are only a 10min (free) bus ride from going to "work".

You live in this neighbourhood you better have your shit be buttoned up tight before you lay your head to rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMZi25Pq3T8

Feb. 26, 2014, 10:30 a.m.

I live in this 'hood, and what Tungsten says above is true. However, it is true everywhere.

I say that the neighbourhood east of Commerical drive is great, well kept mostly old houses, friendly people, less uptight than west side but still concerned with law and order - lots of families, pretty active streets with lots of people walking (this is a key element of a safe neighbourhood).

I get the VPD's block watch bulletin every week, and crime hotspots maps, and our area seems no worse than any others in the City of Vancouver. I think things are worse in the burbs, the further you radiate out from the City of Vancouver, based on the media anyway. North shore being an exception.