being fat is a disease?

June 19, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

further more, i don't really see your point… whats the issue with classifying it as a disease?

for a small percentage of the population it is a legitimate health concern. but for most that are clinically obeses, it is a result of nothing more than poor eating habits. classifying it as a disease is letting people off the hook; it's telling them that they're not responsible for their poor and/or uninformed food choices.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 19, 2013, 9:46 p.m.

for a small percentage of the population it is a legitimate health concern. but for most that are clinically obeses, it is a result of nothing more than poor eating habits. classifying it as a disease is letting people off the hook; it's telling them that they're not responsible for their poor and/or uninformed food choices.

So alcoholism is nothing more than poor drinking habits?

I'm certainly not saying one should not take responsibility for the life…..

June 19, 2013, 9:53 p.m.

re-read what i said; most notably the opening line "for a small percentage of the population it is a legitimate health concern."

likewise, not everyone that drinks heavy is an alcoholic. although that's not to say that heavy drinking habits can't lead to alcohol dependence or addiction.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 19, 2013, 10:23 p.m.

for a small percentage of the population it is a legitimate health concern. .

And in a lot of cases obesity isn't the problem. For many emotional eating is the problem and until that is addressed the rest is like applying a band aid to a sucking chest wound.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 19, 2013, 11:25 p.m.

re-read what i said; most notably the opening line "for a small percentage of the population it is a legitimate health concern."

likewise, not everyone that drinks heavy is an alcoholic. although that's not to say that heavy drinking habits can't lead to alcohol dependence or addiction.

but you said classifying it lets people of the hook…is alcoholism not classified as a disease?

I'm still not saying people should be off the hook for their own health be it what ever the cause.

June 20, 2013, 5:39 a.m.

Being drunk isn't a disease. The reason that you got drunk may be.

Being fat isn't a disease. The reason that you got fat may be, but probably isn't.

Is eating fast food, junk food and gmo/preservative,sugar and fat laden items a disease too?

'cause that's what America has. Canada is showing symptoms too.

Pastor of Muppets

June 20, 2013, 5:42 a.m.

further more, i don't really see your point… whats the issue with classifying it as a disease?

Because eating the shit they call food and sitting around watching tv your whole life isnt a disease. Calling it such takes focus away from real ailments and like splinky said,lets people off the hook for their own health and well being.

Pastor of Muppets

June 20, 2013, 7:12 a.m.

When its classified as a disease vs a lifestyle then medical treatment cannot be denied. Insurance companies will be required to subsidize our fat lazy lifestyle, ie lap band surgery, liposuction, private diet and nutrition programs etc..
God has made me fat and lazy, thankfully science has caught up and they can vacuum my sloth straight out! Of course having the IRS decide what will be appropriate will be fun to watch….

June 20, 2013, 7:43 a.m.

Dudes, I'm not saying this is my passion, but I am a doctor. Chill out. No ones getting off the hook. it's classified as a disease so that resourses are allocated to preventing it and insurance can pay for programs to help the obese. It's a good thing.

did you know insurance covers smoking cessation classes? Diabetes management classes? Rehab for injury (no matter the cause)? You all are a cold bunch and I wouldn't want you taking care of anyone I know.

etc etc…

Also, GraniteAndrew, those things have been covered by insurance for a long time. In fact bariatric surgery is the MOST covered at this time. Imagine if we could prevent the need for that.

anyway here's a decent perspective, less poisonous than the views in this thread.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/06/17/2167801/ama-obesity-disease-health-coverage/?mobile=nc

June 20, 2013, 7:50 a.m.

its easy for the people on this website to judge. If you're going around thinking about what 3000 dollar bike you're going to put inthe back of your 2011 Tundra this summer, life has dealt you some decent cards.

Obesity sucks and unfortunately it's one of the most complicated and devastating diseases mankind has encountered. No one knows what to do about it. It's tied so closely to our society that the number of changes which need to be made go all the way to the agricultural level. We literally need to grow different shit.

Its easy to say "well if that individual did this they'd be okay". Its very difficult to say "well if that population did this they'd be okay". Every day is a battle for many people. And each battle is different. A straight up battle against complete breakdown. Not against a mountain on a wet day.

June 20, 2013, 8:01 a.m.

but you said classifying it lets people of the hook…is alcoholism not classified as a disease?

I'm still not saying people should be off the hook for their own health be it what ever the cause.

sorry bryan, i guess i wasn't clear enough. for those where obesity is not a legitimate health issue, classifying it lets them off the hook. the avg person sees the word disease and may think "it's not my fault because it's a disease." and think to themselves that they don't have to do anything about the issue.

Ellen Langer

June 20, 2013, 8:17 a.m.

You know something? I think I've figured it out…

The average obesity rate started to skyrocket the same time lawndarts were banned.
Kids stopped having to run for their lives, and started to get fat.

Bring back lawndarts, and let Darwin sort it out.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

June 20, 2013, 8:25 a.m.

Dudes, I'm not saying this is my passion, but I am a doctor. Chill out. No ones getting off the hook. it's classified as a disease so that resourses are allocated to preventing it and insurance can pay for programs to help the obese. It's a good thing.

Obesity sucks and unfortunately it's one of the most complicated and devastating diseases mankind has encountered. No one knows what to do about it. It's tied so closely to our society that the number of changes which need to be made go all the way to the agricultural level. We literally need to grow different shit.

Its easy to say "well if that individual did this they'd be okay". Its very difficult to say "well if that population did this they'd be okay". Every day is a battle for many people. And each battle is different. A straight up battle against complete breakdown. Not against a mountain on a wet day.

i hate the fact that i have somewhere to be yet really want to give you a full response. that's dealing with impulse control - is lack of impulse control also going to be classified as a disease? where do we stop with classifying behavioural issues as diseases or do we call all behavioural issues diseases? a lot of what you say has truth to it and for a small percentage of the population obesity is a valid medical concern, for many though it is primarily behavioural issue.

you're on the right track with some of the things that you say but i disagree when you say we don't know what to do. the answer for that is simple - better food choices - but the difficulty lies in getting people to make the right choices. that's not a medical condition that can be treated with surgery or medication, that's an educational and personal responsibility issue.

Ellen Langer

June 20, 2013, 8:55 a.m.

It comes down to this. Be thankful you're smart, healthy, and well informed enough to live the life you live. You most likely got your superior (i mean it) foundation for free. Maybe it was your folks, maybe you're just naturally well intentioned, but none the less be thankful for it. Help those that aren't so well off because beneath all that "failure" of a person you see is a foundation built on years of pain and suffering that most can't relate to.

You might say, i've seen it and fat people just get fatter, are self destructive, lazy and go back to the hospital again and again and… I used to feel that way until I decided to take pause and get to know a a few of the patients i saw repeatedly on the in-patient side of things. After a while I was just like "okay whats the deal? you're killing yourself. I don't get it."

I started to learn that the obese are no different than I am, I am just stronger. I have a better up-bringing. I have more opportunity. I am busier with my job. I have different friends. I can afford things. I also saw very clearly that the worse off we get as a society the more we will become fat poor and unhealthy. Obvious? Yes. But what I felt very deeply is that should the condition continue long enough, even you and I could be sucked into the vortex. it's not choice. It's the society destroying the bottom of the bell curve. As more gets destroyed, the closer it gets to you and I.

If you want to just be quiet about it, fine. We all can't care about all things. If you want to do something about it, please do. But if you show your discontent by just complaining on a yuppie website, well - in the politest terms ;-) - go get fucked. Because thats just useless.

Where do we stop classifying things as disease? I don't know. Thats a different more philosophical debate. But obiesity is very clearly a disease which needs to be treated as smoking is treated now. It's just more complex. But this is a step in the right direction.

June 20, 2013, 9:05 a.m.

anyway whatever, i'm getting off the stage now.