Beer of the week.

Dec. 8, 2017, 1:06 p.m.

Just thought I would start a thread for favorite beers. There is so many craft/micro brews popping up here in Van.
Just would to like hear what may be something you really enjoy.

Happy Holidays

I will go first: Blackburn ESB @Callister
                        Wunderbar Kolsh @ Bridge
                        IPA @ Black Kettle

Dec. 8, 2017, 2:32 p.m.

Sapporo tall cans

Dec. 8, 2017, 4:02 p.m.

Dec. 10, 2017, 7:59 p.m.

Here is a pretty good list (but definitely not complete, I can think of several breweries that aren't listed) for the entire province, http://beermebc.com/bc-breweries/

There was definitely a period where it seemed like one a month opening, but I think it has slowed down. I expect to start hearing about some closing, or more being bought by bigger operations (e.g R&B was bought by Howe Sound).

One of my favourites at this time of year is 33 Acres of Darkness.

Last edited by: PaulB on Dec. 10, 2017, 8:03 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Dec. 10, 2017, 8:12 p.m.

So I'm an IPA guy.

If you like IPA, never, ever buy Spinnakers Reserve Cabernet Barrel Aged IPA.  I usually stay clear of such things but bought it on a whim.  Sweet baby jesus that is complete and absolute shit.

http://www.spinnakers.com/beer/brewers-reserve-cabernet-barrel-aged-ipa/

Dec. 11, 2017, 12:17 p.m.

http://www.sherwoodmountain.beer/

Sherwood Mtn brewing from Terrace has some good beer on tap around town and up at the ski hill

also have 2 micro brews coming on stream here in Smithers pretty quick

Dec. 13, 2017, 4:32 p.m.

This thread makes me realize two things: 

1. I have not had a beer in two weeks. 

2. I need to hop over soon-ish.

Dec. 13, 2017, 7:05 p.m.

So many craft "brewers" throwing whatever roadkill they can find into the vat thinking they're clever.

Dec. 13, 2017, 8:39 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

So many craft "brewers" throwing whatever roadkill they can find into the vat thinking they're clever.

Most often labelled as an IPA. Fucking dandelion water.

Dec. 14, 2017, 8:01 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Posted by: ReductiMat

Most often labelled as an IPA. Fucking dandelion water.

Yes there is a lot of beer weirdness going on. The Graham Cracker ale at Hearthstone sticks out as over the line Smokey.

Dec. 14, 2017, 1:18 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

Just thought I would start a thread for favorite beers. There is so many craft/micro brews popping up here in Van.

Happy Holidays

Wunderbar Kolsh @ Bridge
                        IPA @ Black Kettle

The Blackburn Bitter is great. The brewer Adam of Real Cask is a buddy of mine. I can be found some Sunday afternoons sitting at the Callister bar having a beer bs'ing with Adam. He works the bar Sundays and is very entertaining.

Powell Street Brewing Ode to Citra is one of my local favourites. 

The newest brewery in my area is East Van Brewing but I have yet to go in. Has anyone sampled their beer yet? I see they have a pinball machine in there so I'll definitely be stopping by soon.

Dec. 14, 2017, 3:26 p.m.

Posted by: J.Stubb

Posted by: bux-bux

Happy Holidays

Wunderbar Kolsh @ Bridge
                        IPA @ Black Kettle

The Blackburn Bitter is great. The brewer Adam of Real Cask is a buddy of mine. I can be found some Sunday afternoons sitting at the Callister bar having a beer bs'ing with Adam. He works the bar Sundays and is very entertaining.

Powell Street Brewing Ode to Citra is one of my local favourites. 

The newest brewery in my area is East Van Brewing but I have yet to go in. Has anyone sampled their beer yet? I see they have a pinball machine in there so I'll definitely be stopping by soon.

Yes that Blackburn bitter is by far the best and closest to a real english ale I have had outside the UK.

Dec. 14, 2017, 3:41 p.m.

I gots to say, Old Yale Sasquatch Stout is one of my personal favourites.

http://beermebc.com/2013/02/11/old-yale-brewing-co-sasquatch-stout/

June 4, 2018, 2:02 p.m.

This is a bold move by Central City:  https://www.whatsbrewing.ca/news/central-citys-red-racer-upsizes-competition-with-bold-new-packaging-of-colossal-proportions/

tldr; They're switching to 500mL cans for 6 and 12 packs and keeping prices the same as they were for 355mL cans.

June 5, 2018, 4:16 p.m.

Also an IPA guy, been enjoying Backcountry Brewing Widowmaker IPA from Squamish lately. And pretty much anything Twin Sails does is a hit, definitely my favourite BC brewery for the last couple years. Also had a decent red ale from R&B last week. I hadn't realized they were bought by Howe Sound and are making decent beer now compared to the old days.

Been a fan of Red Racer/Central City since I got into craft beer 5 or 6 years ago... awesome news about the pricing, always go to their ISA if it's a long drinking session/camping/BBQ and the IPA is also great.