Beer

Jan. 25, 2015, 9:58 a.m.

I don't really have a problem with AB or Molson buying craft breweries. Craft beer lovers are pretty savvy and if AB fucks up the beer by cheaping out on ingredients or scaling it up to where it is not as good, hard core craft beer fans will move on to something better and that will give other craft brewers the chance to fill the void. Its not like there will be a shortage of craft brewers and aspiring craft brewers anytime soon.

Some of the breweries A-B have bought or invested in are still making great high end beer and innovating. Mostly what AB brings is larger scale distribution which will mostly focus on the more basic beers like pale ales, ambers and regular IPAs. I can get all the basic stuff from Goose Island in SD but their high end stuff like Bourbon county is still good, and still hard to get. I won't buy the basic but when I find the good stuff, I buy it….

That said it will be fun giving connor shit for being a pawn to corporate america. Ha!

By definition, craft brewing is producing a “small” amount of beer with an emphasis on quality. It’s not to say that they can’t produce good beer, but when you’re run by one of these conglomerates, small and quality are no longer the focus. These companies certainly can continue producing a sparsely available high end product, but they are doing so backed by corporate means that others in the “craft” industry don’t have access to. If this were solely about a larger footprint, these breweries would be signing exclusive distribution agreements. That’s not what’s happening.

Like you say, there are so many good options out there. I’m not going to walk away from good beer, but given the choice between something that’s AB owned and a beer that’s “craft”, I’ll have no problem choosing the more expensive alternative.

Jan. 28, 2015, 12:47 a.m.

if you're not going to drink my beer, you should probably be drinking this.. hot damn.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 28, 2015, 10:18 a.m.

It's really good. Sold out fast too (was at the brewery on Sunday and they had 16 bottles left).

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Feb. 3, 2015, 3:05 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c

Feb. 3, 2015, 4:41 p.m.

By definition, craft brewing is producing a “small” amount of beer with an emphasis on quality. .

By definition, Quality means making the same thing repetitively and identical each time.

Hmmm…..

Feb. 3, 2015, 6:52 p.m.

By definition, Quality means making the same thing repetitively and identical each time.

Hmmm…..

You find this contradictory?

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:10 p.m.

You find this contradictory?

I don't think there is an agreement on what Craft Beer means. People often think they know but struggle to define in relative or quantiative terms. For example, the US has a defined HL limit on Craft that would include most breweries in Canada (outside of Molson).

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:12 p.m.

I've had it at a few places and it was really good. Better than last year.

Brassneck DIXmas IPA is good but not as good as last year. Worth a growler, though.

Whistler Brewing Co's Valley Trail Chestnut Ale is amazing. The guy that suggested it to me says they've produced it the last 3 seasons but this year is their best batch by far - I have to say it is amazing.

As for the seasonal calendar, my wife got me the Parallel 49 one. I've liked most of what it's offered so far but mine started out with a chocolate cherry concoction that tasted like cough syrup. Absolutely awful. That said it's gotten much better.

I do find it contradictory to think craft beer is high quality when measured in terms of repeatability.

I'm actually amazed that the big breweries can produce a Miller, Bud or Coors for the past 10 years and have it turn out the same in every can. Pretty fascinating.

Not saying I like it though! :beer:

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:13 p.m.

If I can drop a triple coiler exactly the same way every morning, that is the definition of quality to some people.

Not to me mind you, but to some people.

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

I don't think there is an agreement on what Craft Beer means. People often think they know but struggle to define in relative or quantiative terms. For example, the US has a defined HL limit on Craft that would include most breweries in Canada (outside of Molson).

Certainly there are many interpretations, but my definition safely excludes those brews owned by a corporation. I just think it's garbage that they can adopt the terminology because they bought a couple small businesses.

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:31 p.m.

Bet you can't 'Mat.

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:34 p.m.

I do find it contradictory to think craft beer is high quality when measured in terms of repeatability.

I'm actually amazed that the big breweries can produce a Miller, Bud or Coors for the past 10 years and have it turn out the same in every can. Pretty fascinating.

Not saying I like it though! :beer:

If I'm paying good money for beer, I like to know that it's going to be as tasty as the last time I bought it. IMO, small scale reproducibility is a gold standard.

A reproducible triple coiler…I have my doubts.

Feb. 3, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

Dare to dream people, dare to dream.

Feb. 3, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

tapped at St. Augustines.

made the hard way..

http://staugustinesvancouver.com/

33 ACRES BREWING COMPANY 33 Acres… 5.0% alc 100% REMAINING
PARALLEL 49 BREWING COMPANY Old B… 5.0% alc 100% REMAINING
PARALLEL 49 BREWING COMPANY Barle… 11.8% alc 99% REMAINING
ST. AUGUSTINE'S Lager 5.0% alc 98% REMAINING
STORM BREWING Imperial Flanders Red… 11.0% alc 98% REMAINING
ELYSIAN BREWING Le Marche Public Sais… 6.3% alc 96% REMAINING

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 3, 2015, 9:27 p.m.

the keg gauge website feature is sweet!