Beer

Jan. 23, 2015, 12:33 p.m.

These massive multinationals can't compete and are forced to keep buying companies. The good news is that craft beer doesn't have a massive barrier to entry. I wouldn't be surprised if the principles of Eleysian start up a new one in a few years time.

And no doubt AB pays top dollar for their executives so I'm sure they won't fuck up Eleysians product.

It's partly a demographic problem as well. Younger generations aren't drinking AB Swill. Acquisition is clearly a smart move on their part (as long as they don't fuck up those businesses by pushing extreme growth which screws up the products… yeah, I ain't holding my breath either)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/budweiser-ditches-the-clydesdales-for-jay-z-1416784086

Jan. 23, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

These massive multinationals can't compete and are forced to keep buying companies. The good news is that craft beer doesn't have a massive barrier to entry. I wouldn't be surprised if the principles of Eleysian start up a new one in a few years time.

Hope that will be the case, though it sounds like they're staying on as employees for the time being.

And no doubt AB pays top dollar for their executives so I'm sure they won't fuck up Eleysians product.

:D

Jan. 23, 2015, 6:09 p.m.

Does this mean nobody will drink my beer? :( pumphouse and the hop and vine have cancelled their Elysian Superbowl parties..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 23, 2015, 6:18 p.m.

Does this mean nobody will drink my beer? :( pumphouse and the hop and vine have cancelled their Elysian Superbowl parties..

Why? In protest?

Jan. 23, 2015, 6:19 p.m.

Hope that will be the case, though it sounds like they're staying on as employees for the time being.

:D

Dick Cantwell's 18yr old son died a couple years ago after hitting a van, while riding his bike. He truly deserves to enjoy his success however he wants.

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 23, 2015, 6:20 p.m.

Why? In protest?

Basically… It's on the fb.

Jan. 23, 2015, 6:38 p.m.

Basically… It's on the fb.

That's pretty ghey. It's going to take time for AB to turn their beer into piss. Do they need me to take those kegs off of them?

Jan. 23, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

That's pretty ghey. It's going to take time for AB to turn their beer into piss. Do they need me to take those kegs off of them?

Back of the line.. St. Augs ordered 2 .. Hope they'll put em on..

Wonder if AB was looking at Central City? Similar size. Heard Ninkasi had turned them down.

Jan. 23, 2015, 8:29 p.m.

On the positive side of things, I had a GI Honkers Ale at a Canucks game a couple of weeks ago, so maybe Elysian will start to show up there too.

Jan. 23, 2015, 8:39 p.m.

Dick Cantwell's 18yr old son died a couple years ago after hitting a van, while riding his bike. He truly deserves to enjoy his success however he wants.

Shitty, I didn't know that about his son. All three of them deserve to ride off in the sunset however they please. It's just a bummer. IMO, Ninkasi wouldn't have been a shocker, but Elysian is an iconic microbrewery with 20 years under their belt. Regardless of how AB scale might affect their beers, I'm quite sure that the pubs will continue to pour a mighty smooth porter.

Jan. 23, 2015, 10:47 p.m.

Just got home from the alibi room, it was yum.

That is all

Thanks for all the great beer recommendations folks.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 23, 2015, 11:59 p.m.

looks like Stateside Craft has my beer on tap right now, made before they sold, I promise..

Jan. 24, 2015, 9 a.m.

Why? In protest?

statement on Pumphouse's facebook: "We'll have something craft beer orientated to replace it but we try and stay away from promoting conglomerates"

Seems like BS to me considering they are clearly promoting Granville Island for all Canucks games yet GI is part of the Molson Coors conglomerate, not to mention the main image on Hop and Vine's website is a tap with Stella and Leffe, which are both ABInBev beers.

:canada: :czech:

Jan. 24, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

I don't really have a problem with AB or Molson buying craft breweries. Craft beer lovers are pretty savvy and if AB fucks up the beer by cheaping out on ingredients or scaling it up to where it is not as good, hard core craft beer fans will move on to something better and that will give other craft brewers the chance to fill the void. Its not like there will be a shortage of craft brewers and aspiring craft brewers anytime soon.

Some of the breweries A-B have bought or invested in are still making great high end beer and innovating. Mostly what AB brings is larger scale distribution which will mostly focus on the more basic beers like pale ales, ambers and regular IPAs. I can get all the basic stuff from Goose Island in SD but their high end stuff like Bourbon county is still good, and still hard to get. I won't buy the basic but when I find the good stuff, I buy it….

That said it will be fun giving connor shit for being a pawn to corporate america. Ha!

Jan. 25, 2015, 8:27 a.m.

Yeah. Was getting mad shade at the central city cask fest yesterday, wearing my hat..