Beer

Aug. 14, 2014, 9 p.m.

Battle lives for his work. Brewers talk about receiving approvals at all hours of the day and night; notices from the federal government coming in at 5 a.m., or 1 a.m.

“We kid about it a lot, but if there’s an airstrike in Washington, he’s the guy grabbing his work to go to a bunker to keep his production up,” said a source who has worked with Battle.

While you can fault the guy for being too anal, it is refreshing to see a bureaucrat who digs his job and works his ass off to keep production up. He could easily be like the DMV - just as anal but you would not see your label for months because fuck it, its time for my cigarette. And whoops, now its 4pm time to go home. Puttin' in the big hours!

Not to be outdone California has its own agency which also must approve all labels. One more layer of red tape though I haven't heard it to be too onerous except that they have left sufficient ambiguity in labeling that numerous breweries will fill only their own growlers, even though this is apparently not the law at all.

Aug. 14, 2014, 10:54 p.m.

.. numerous breweries will fill only their own growlers, even though this is apparently not the law at all.

more like just Russian River, tools, with delicious beer…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 14, 2014, 11:05 p.m.

more like just Russian River, tools, with delicious beer…

I wouldn't say tools, but I would say misguided. They seem to think they are protecting their profits from loss of sales of branded growlers. But they don't seem to consider how many repeat growler fill sales they are losing since many people refuse to buy additional growlers. I would buy fills at many of them but SD is up to 92 breweries now with 30+ more in planning. I won't buy anymore growlers so only the ones I own or those brave enough to fill others/blank growlers will get my business.

Aug. 14, 2014, 11:25 p.m.

I wouldn't say tools, but I would say misguided. They seem to think they are protecting their profits from loss of sales of branded growlers. But they don't seem to consider how many repeat growler fill sales they are losing since many people refuse to buy additional growlers. I would buy fills at many of them but SD is up to 92 breweries now with 30+ more in planning. I won't buy anymore growlers so only the ones I own or those brave enough to fill others/blank growlers will get my business.

nobody here is a Growlist, it's a free for all. Most places are putting on Craftaps that can fill anything…

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 14, 2014, 11:51 p.m.

Not to be outdone California has its own agency which also must approve all labels. One more layer of red tape though I haven't heard it to be too onerous except that they have left sufficient ambiguity in labeling that numerous breweries will fill only their own growlers, even though this is apparently not the law at all.

As of late last year, the law in CA changed such that:

Breweries can fill any growler, but they do have to cover up any old label in at least a semi-permanent way (most people are opting to wrap it with an opaque plastic tape rather than use paint or wield a scraper to remove the old logo) and they have to affix a new tag or label to say exactly what kind of beer is in the bottle.

The new bill doesn’t REQUIRE a brewery to fill outside growlers, however,and many say they won’t. Most famously, Russian River has said they see logo-ed growlers as an a part of their marketing, so they wouldn’t send beer out in someone else’s jug any more than they would use someone else’s bottle or case box to ship product to a store

Even that seems ridiculous with the covering up old labels requirement.

As the recent liquor reforms here in BC have shown, we have some silly rules as well, but at least they aren't so lame as to worry about the label on a container that is most likely being transported from a private residence, to a brewery, and back to a private residence, with the owner knowing exactly what the contents are.

Aug. 15, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

Keep it on the DL but Driftwood's Naughty Hildegard is now available.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Aug. 15, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

As of late last year, the law in CA changed such that:

Even that seems ridiculous with the covering up old labels .

That's just simple MSDS. Know what you have in any given vessel to prevent mix up problems. ie don't put rubbing alcohol into a vodka bottle unless you label it.

Aug. 15, 2014, 9:59 a.m.

nobody here is a Growlist, it's a free for all. Most places are putting on Craftaps that can fill anything…

Steamworks and Yaletown used to be, did they change their policy?

Aug. 15, 2014, 10:03 a.m.

She is back! I had a reunion with her last night ;)

WTF, Over?

Aug. 15, 2014, 10:12 a.m.

I would say since all the major player liquor stores have posted all over their social media through the week on Hilde, it's not exactly on the DL :P

Definitely one of Driftwood's best beers though. This year's is fantastic.

Aug. 15, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

That's just simple MSDS. Know what you have in any given vessel to prevent mix up problems. ie don't put rubbing alcohol into a vodka bottle unless you label it.

Fair enough, but since all the labels in question likely have "beer" on them, it seems like common sense could apply.

Aug. 20, 2014, 9:40 p.m.

two winners IMO

WTF, Over?

Aug. 20, 2014, 9:55 p.m.

this made me question my life's choices.

Aug. 21, 2014, 10:21 a.m.

two winners IMO

Is that an Old Boy pint glass? That looks awesome! And I have only heard great things about that Spruce.

Aug. 21, 2014, 1:28 p.m.

i just searched images for the brew. not my pick. But that was my guess too.

WTF, Over?