Beer

March 7, 2014, 11:53 a.m.

Funny, I always find my magic number is 4: one for now and three keepers. That said, everything else here holds true. Most of the really good US RIS don't make it up here and if they do they are crazy expensive.

Sometimes the "magic number" is as many as you can afford / as many as the store will sell you, too - my 3-bottle habit is indeed limited in application :D

Also depends how long you want to save the last one for, too - for something I want to keep for a long time (over 5 years at least, maybe 10) I'd want to scale up the purchase for sure!

March 7, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

Found a couple 2011 OCDs at a store near me.. Not sure where those were buried. Lots of Bop, Lustrum, even mad bruin still out there.

the advantage of shopping at the out of the way stores (i.e., not brewery creek); you don't have to scramble to beat the hoards of beer nerds that swarm the place every time something new is tweeted.

just picked up the singularity; i've got a 2012 vintage i'm going to uncork this w/e to see how things age prior to picking up more of the current stuff. though i generally lack the resolve to bother cellaring much. shrug.

March 7, 2014, 12:45 p.m.

Found a couple 2011 OCDs at a store near me.. Not sure where those were buried. Lots of Bop, Lustrum, even mad bruin still out there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i miss the bruin. i would be all over a couple of them.

WTF, Over?

March 7, 2014, 4:32 p.m.

It's been mentioned a couple times in this thread, but a buddy of mine just introduced me to Sierra Nevada. The Pale Ale and Torpedo IPA. Wow, great beer!

Ride, don't slide.

March 7, 2014, 5:16 p.m.

i forgot how good this stuff was (have a habit of passing it up for the more hyped limited release sours). always readily available, and (relatively) cheap in small bottles. like:

March 7, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

Nice write up on all the Van breweries in todays Province. "Yeast Van is HOPPING".

WTF, Over?

March 8, 2014, 12:03 a.m.

It's been mentioned a couple times in this thread, but a buddy of mine just introduced me to Sierra Nevada. The Pale Ale and Torpedo IPA. Wow, great beer!

Their imperial stout the narwhal is probably my favorite out of what I've tried this year (Phillips, P49, Howe sound)

March 8, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

Nice write up on all the Van breweries in todays Province. "Yeast Van is HOPPING".

Able to scan and post?

March 8, 2014, 10:11 a.m.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Yeast+hopping+Welcome+densest+concentration+breweries+Canada/9588936/story.html

Thanks. I looked but didn't see it online. D'oh!

March 8, 2014, 2:53 p.m.

Thanks. I looked but didn't see it online. D'oh!

Some cool links of that article listing a bunch of new( at least to me) breweries popping up.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/01/30/the-brewed-awakening-guide-to-b-c-s-new-breweries-in-2014/

WTF, Over?

March 8, 2014, 6:39 p.m.

It amazing how easy most of these beers are to make at home.

SNPA-check
Whiskey Oaked vanilla porter-check
Barleywine-check (c/o connor)
Arrogant Bastard-check (ok, 1 of 2 batches didn't quite work out)
Cascadian Dark Ale-check. (c/o biggles)

March 8, 2014, 8:50 p.m.

The Top 5 Beers in the World
Posted by: Logan Thompson in Fun Beer Stuff

The Absolute Definitive Top 5 Beers In The World List
However, since this post is titled “The Top 5 Beers in the World”, I better give you my list or there might be a revolt. Here we go:

1. The Beer That’s In Your Hand

If you have a beer in your hand, you are doing pretty good. Sure, it might not be the best beer you’ve ever had, but it beats having no beer in your hand.
When people ask me my favorite beer, this is generally always my answer. I love drinking new beers all the time and if I have one in hand, I’m happy. You should be too.

2. The Beer You’re Having Next

What’s better than the beer you’re drinking? The one that’s coming next of course. When you have a beer that’s about to be finished and you have the knowledge of what you’ll be drinking after, it’s a beautiful feeling.

3. The Best Beer You Can Remember

Everyone has a handful of beers that give them a happy feeling when thinking back on it. It might not exactly be the best technically crafted beer in the world, but to you it makes you happy. For me Boneyard Hop Venom Double IPA is one of my favorites. It’s an amazing beer, yet it isn’t sitting on the top of Beer Advocate. Regardless of that, every time I drink it I smile. I remember back to the delight of my first sip and how excited I was with that first taste of its floral goodness.

4. The Beer That’s Free

Admit it, free beer just tastes good. Maybe you received a gift from a friend of an amazing beer or an invite to a party where there is plenty of tasty craft beer flowing freely. In my opinion that is generally some of the best beer in the world. Sure, sometimes it sucks (like when I got invited to a private suite at a Chicago Cubs game and the unlimited beer consisted of Bud, Miller, and Coors), but you don’t have to pay for it. Most the time if you’re a craft beer fan, the free beer is a lot better quality than that.

5. The Beer You Made

I believe everyone who loves craft beer should brew at least one beer to help appreciate the craft. I can’t think of any better hobby than homebrewing. What other hobby can even come close to drinking beer at the same time you’re making beer. While not every beer you brew will turn into a top 5 beer in the world, the fact that you made it makes it pretty awesome. Plus the more practice you get brewing the better your beers will become.

March 8, 2014, 9:19 p.m.

The Top 5 Beers in the World
Posted by: Logan Thompson in Fun Beer Stuff

The Absolute Definitive Top 5 Beers In The World List
However, since this post is titled “The Top 5 Beers in the World”, I better give you my list or there might be a revolt. Here we go:

1. The Beer That’s In Your Hand

If you have a beer in your hand, you are doing pretty good. Sure, it might not be the best beer you’ve ever had, but it beats having no beer in your hand.
When people ask me my favorite beer, this is generally always my answer. I love drinking new beers all the time and if I have one in hand, I’m happy. You should be too.

2. The Beer You’re Having Next

What’s better than the beer you’re drinking? The one that’s coming next of course. When you have a beer that’s about to be finished and you have the knowledge of what you’ll be drinking after, it’s a beautiful feeling.

3. The Best Beer You Can Remember

Everyone has a handful of beers that give them a happy feeling when thinking back on it. It might not exactly be the best technically crafted beer in the world, but to you it makes you happy. For me Boneyard Hop Venom Double IPA is one of my favorites. It’s an amazing beer, yet it isn’t sitting on the top of Beer Advocate. Regardless of that, every time I drink it I smile. I remember back to the delight of my first sip and how excited I was with that first taste of its floral goodness.

4. The Beer That’s Free

Admit it, free beer just tastes good. Maybe you received a gift from a friend of an amazing beer or an invite to a party where there is plenty of tasty craft beer flowing freely. In my opinion that is generally some of the best beer in the world. Sure, sometimes it sucks (like when I got invited to a private suite at a Chicago Cubs game and the unlimited beer consisted of Bud, Miller, and Coors), but you don’t have to pay for it. Most the time if you’re a craft beer fan, the free beer is a lot better quality than that.

5. The Beer You Made

I believe everyone who loves craft beer should brew at least one beer to help appreciate the craft. I can’t think of any better hobby than homebrewing. What other hobby can even come close to drinking beer at the same time you’re making beer. While not every beer you brew will turn into a top 5 beer in the world, the fact that you made it makes it pretty awesome. Plus the more practice you get brewing the better your beers will become.

Tonight I am 3 put of the 5 and feeling purty goody.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 9, 2014, 6:22 p.m.

I think it's time to start up a hops farm. There is going to be a major shortage in the coming years and even some non-proprietary variants will be in high demand.

This was our damage last night between five of us - lots of incredible beers. Highlights were Stille Nacht reserva, Parabola, Fou Foune, BA Speedway, Blend Love

March 10, 2014, 1:21 p.m.

I think it's time to start up a hops farm. There is going to be a major shortage in the coming years and even some non-proprietary variants will be in high demand.

This was our damage last night between five of us - lots of incredible beers. Highlights were Stille Nacht reserva, Parabola, Fou Foune, BA Speedway, Blend Love

WOW. Those are some impressive beers. I have a speedway stout in my cellar that I have yet to try, happy to hear it is worth waiting for.