Beer

Dec. 5, 2013, 2:01 p.m.

Yeah I could get on board with that. Neither were too notable but I enjoyed the second one well enough.

Picked up 3 of the just-released Parallel 49 Braggot, plan to crack a bottle Friday though may give in tomorrow. It's a barrel aged beer / mead blend. I like the detail of having the cap waxed with beeswax for the full bee effect (mead is made with honey).

Speaking of waxing, I tried doing my own batch at home and it turned out pretty good.

Is there much of an advantage to waxing the bottle?

Dec. 5, 2013, 4:52 p.m.

December 5 . Something slightly different

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Dec. 5, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

I've been shocked at how good the Parallel 49 milk-stout is, sooooo creamy.

It's getting even creamier:

I finally made it over to Brassneck the other day. I like the way they've got it set up, the fill station is pretty Skookum. Brought home a liter of the "The Geezer" Dry English Porter, which I really liked.

Dec. 5, 2013, 8:50 p.m.

really nice. I am feeling the stout season upon us

WTF, Over?

Dec. 6, 2013, 7:14 a.m.

really nice. I am feeling the stout season upon us

You have the calendar too? Or coincidence as that's day 6.

Dec. 6, 2013, 8:52 a.m.

Hammer is decent but stout season was upon us already with a lot of more notable stouts coming out ;) Though Abyss still hasn't hit shelves and Singularity's a little ways out. Those are my two favourites of the season. MOA makes a killer and now widely available stout too, and BB XXV is good.

biggles - I don't know really, there are accounts of side-by-side comparisons showing benefits to waxing, and it makes sense in that the cap seal is where oxygen is likely going to slowly find its way in. But this was more for the fun of it than anything else. I like the ability to color-code seasonals that may not have dates on them, too.

Dec. 6, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

You have the calendar too? Or coincidence as that's day 6.

nope pure coincidence. Forgive my newbisim,, is it like the calendar for kids with chocolates, only a beer each day of December??

WTF, Over?

Dec. 6, 2013, 10:58 a.m.

nope pure coincidence. Forgive my newbisim,, is it like the calendar for kids with chocolates, only a beer each day of December??

Yep, a calendar for big kids and it's so awesome!

Dec. 6, 2013, 10:11 p.m.

just had two bottles of Hermannator ice bock, the idea of opening my english mind to the wider world of beer craft was a good one. That is a great drink! (can't be arsed to take the dog out for pee though)

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 9, 2013, 7:24 a.m.

Tried this over the weekend:
Deschutes Jubelale Winter Ale

Starts out with what one expects from a winter brew, lots of malty sweetness and a thicker feel - but then finishes off with a whole lot of flavorful hops. So far this one stands out a lot more for me than any other winter beer I've tried. Lots of good flavor but nothing gimmicky like nutmeg or vanilla.

Dec. 9, 2013, 10:40 a.m.

I was at Tap and Barrel on Coal Harbor and they had Herminator and a Persephone Brewing Rum Runner red ale on tap.
I was impressed.

WTF, Over?

Dec. 9, 2013, 10:46 a.m.

Tried this over the weekend:
Deschutes Jubelale Winter Ale

A couple of years ago I picked up a 24 of that at the Bellingham Costco for something like $26.

Dec. 10, 2013, 7:40 p.m.

Today and the last couple days from the Phillips:
Friday - Hammer Imperial Stout.
Saturday - Hoperation Belgian Triple Cross
Sunday - Analogue 78 Kolsch
Monday - Ginger Beer
Tuesday - Phoenix Gold Lager

The hammer and triple were fantastic, strong beers. The Kolsch is a light beer and suited a chores sunday. Normally not a fan of the gingers but it went down pretty nicely. The pheonix so far has been the least enjoyable - just not enough flavour in it.

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:03 a.m.

It's getting even creamier:

Did you notice if the flavor was also sweeter?

I had a Ugly Sweater on a nitro tap last year, and did not like it. After trying it in the 6'r I really did like it.

Dec. 11, 2013, 9:21 a.m.

Not convinced by the ugly sweater, I think it is my fear lactose. Definetly not convinced by the big rock lumberjack pack.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr