Beer

Nov. 29, 2012, 9:24 a.m.

Call me a purist, but bacon maple doughnut beer in a pink bottle is a no-sale.

Agreed; glad I tried it once but will never buy again.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Nov. 29, 2012, 10:19 a.m.

Also, worth splitting the bottle with someone. Getting through a whole one was a bit tough. It was interesting though, glad I tried it.

Nov. 29, 2012, 10:40 a.m.

rogue, in my experience, has been consistently disappointing. beers that sound (and/or look) good, but fail to deliver. sounds like this one is unbalanced; skewed towards the smoke / not enough donut. i'm reluctant to give them my $$ to try for myself.

Nov. 29, 2012, 10:45 a.m.

Herminator is a strong beer!

Went to nesters today to buy some eggs…

Strangely, Prometheus Stolen Fire is one of the only IPAs I seem to enjoy, especially on tap. I'm not even sure what sets it apart for me.

I still have a bottle of the bacon maple in my fridge. Smells like bacon, tastes like maple, looks like Pepto. It's one of those beers that's entertaining to try once, but not so much for a daily drinker.

Nov. 29, 2012, 1:54 p.m.

Strangely, Prometheus Stolen Fire is one of the only IPAs I seem to enjoy, especially on tap. I'm not even sure what sets it apart for me.

I still have a bottle of the bacon maple in my fridge. Smells like bacon, tastes like maple, looks like Pepto. It's one of those beers that's entertaining to try once, but not so much for a daily drinker.

Yeah, it's not good.

That green Flash IIPA is amazing though. GF make some good stuff, check out Le Freak (Belgian IPA) if you get a chance, it's amazing.

Nov. 29, 2012, 2:04 p.m.

rogue, in my experience, has been consistently disappointing. beers that sound (and/or look) good, but fail to deliver. sounds like this one is unbalanced; skewed towards the smoke / not enough donut. i'm reluctant to give them my $$ to try for myself.

Picked up one of the double chocolate Stouts.. 100pt on ratebeer.

Will report back.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 29, 2012, 2:42 p.m.

I do like to try various flavours in my beer but even the good ones are hard to drink more than a pint.

For my day to day, reach in the fridge can grab a beer beer I have been on the same flavour for over 10 years.

Nov. 29, 2012, 2:48 p.m.

flavour

Did you post the wrong picture?

Sleemens??? Flavour??? what???

Nov. 29, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

X2

Glad it was more towards smokey than sweet, but still really just a novelty beer.

Nov. 29, 2012, 4:21 p.m.

Did you post the wrong picture?

Sleemens??? Flavour??? what???

Yup. I like it nice and simple most of the time. No need to be a beer snob. I bet plenty of people on here enjoy "regular" beers but don't post on here because some beer snob will tell them they suck for not buying 7 dollar a bottle micro brews. Thanks for not disappointing.

Nov. 29, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

Howe Sound LAGER has been my go-to lately for just a beer beer. Seems like a decent compromise between cheap crap and specialty.

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

Nov. 29, 2012, 4:36 p.m.

Howe Sound LAGER has been my go-to lately for just a beer beer. Seems like a decent compromise between cheap crap and specialty.

It's a tasty brew. I'm a beer snob, but I like some cheap beers, but Sleemans just seems devoid of anything to me, it's like a Molson in a fancy bottle.
For my cheap beer fix, I now do home brew. $0.50 a beer, it's tasty, and I get to completely nerd out over it's creation.

Nov. 29, 2012, 4:53 p.m.

It's a tasty brew. I'm a beer snob, but I like some cheap beers, but Sleemans just seems devoid of anything to me, it's like a Molson in a fancy bottle.
For my cheap beer fix, I now do home brew. $0.50 a beer, it's tasty, and I get to completely nerd out over it's creation.

The other problem with Sleemans is the clear bottle. Beers go skunky when exposed to sunlight, especially UV. That's why you see the majority of beers in dark bottles. Beers that are packaged in clear bottles often have preservatives added in to negate the effect of them going bad faster. I'd rather not drink preservatives with my beer.

A friend of mine's dad, who knew his beer and worked in the food industry, pointed this out to me a long time ago and I always think of it when I see a beer in a clear bottle. I've done a bit of checking around on the point and it seems to check out:

Clear versus colored glass bottles

If you have ever wondered why most beer bottles are amber or green, the answer is simple. The full spectrum of daylight can have undesirable effects on a beer over a period of time. The ultraviolet portion of the spectrum is especially harmful; promoting chemical reactions that produce "off flavors" that will take the edge off the freshness of a beer. Dark glass greatly inhibits this photochemical effect, whereas clear glass leaves the beer within vulnerable to being "light struck." The industry standard is for green or amber glass, but for some unfathomable reason a number of British breweries stick resolutely to their traditional practice of using clear glass bottles, with often undesirable consequences when such beers are left on a retailer’s shelf for any length of time.

I don't know specifically whether Sleemans has preservatives since it's been many many years since I've drank one, but I have checked a few others over the years and found it to be true.

Nov. 29, 2012, 5:23 p.m.

The other problem with Sleemans is the clear bottle. Beers go skunky when exposed to sunlight, especially UV. That's why you see the majority of beers in dark bottles. Beers that are packaged in clear bottles often have preservatives added in to negate the effect of them going bad faster. I'd rather not drink preservatives with my beer.

A friend of mine's dad, who knew his beer and worked in the food industry, pointed this out to me a long time ago and I always think of it when I see a beer in a clear bottle. I've done a bit of checking around on the point and it seems to check out:

I don't know specifically whether Sleemans has preservatives since it's been many many years since I've drank one, but I have checked a few others over the years and found it to be true.

I think they have a tm on clear bottles, at least in Canada. FUCK FLAVOUR WEVE GOT CLEAR BOTTLES!"!!!!

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 29, 2012, 5:42 p.m.

bunny bear !

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter