Beer

Nov. 4, 2013, 10:15 a.m.

In general, the Oude Gueuse tend to be on the cheaper end. There are a few different ones out there if you go to Brewery Creek or somewhere similar.

Nov. 4, 2013, 8:16 p.m.

On the expensive end (friend purchased for $28!), shared one of these this weekend;

Soooo sour with no fruit to temper the bite. For me, almost undrinkable…almost.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Nov. 4, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

lol $28 of undrinkable.

beautiful consumerism.

Nov. 4, 2013, 9:55 p.m.

lol $28 of undrinkable.

beautiful consumerism.

If you buy an average bc wine for $28 and it was totally average, and that would be just a normal purchase for a commercial wine in a normal price range

That Sour in the Rye is supposed to have a really neat flavour; one that I would love to try.

Beer is so subjective in what we deem as a good taste. I think that $200-$500 bottles of Whiskey is far more of status and consumeristic endeavour.
All single malts that I have tried, always , taste like whiskey first and then the flavours can be picked out, Peaty, smoky, etc. Yes, I can tell the difference from Talisker and Laphroig, and there are great tastes out there. I also am comparing apples to oranges.

IMO Beer is a far more diverse beverage. A good brewer can make magic out of 4 ingredients, and alchemy that boggles your imagination. $28 is a small price to pay to have a peek at what a person designed and then created.

Nov. 5, 2013, 8:55 a.m.

I have a couple of those Sour in the Rye's. They're amazing but not for everyone.

Bruery stuff is pretty pricey around here for sure. Its price partly comes from low supply and high demand, shipping [HTML_REMOVED] import, and also just the fact it's crafted with talent (and not easy to craft)

Nov. 5, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

You buy an average bc wine for $28 and it could be totally average, and that would be just a normal purchase.

That Sour in the Rye is supposed to have a really neat flavour; one that I would love to try.

Beer is so subjective in what we deem as a good taste. I think that $200-$500 bottles of Whiskey is far more of status and consumeristic endeavour.
All single malts that I have tried, always , taste like whiskey first and then the flavours can be picked out, Peaty, smoky, etc. Yes, I can tell the difference from Talisker and Laphroig, and there are great tastes out there. I also am comparing apples to oranges.

IMO Beer is a far more diverse beverage. A good brewer can make magic out of 4 ingredients, and alchemy that boggles your imagination. $28 is a small price to pay to have a peek at what a person designed and then created.

I have a friend who is a bit of a wine guy and pointed the above out to me. It's a lot easier to justify expensive beer if you think of it as cheap wine.

Nov. 6, 2013, 1:05 p.m.

Chocolate Milk stout???

http://www.momandhops.ca/triple-chocolate-milk-stout-way-flying-monkeys/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 6, 2013, 2 p.m.

^i've got an imperial stout finishing up that could be referred to as such - chocolate malt [HTML_REMOVED] lactose (milk sugar - adds sweetness as it's non fermentable), plus and a cocoa nib infusion (homemade extract) post fermentation. plus coffee and vanilla bean infusions as well. more of a mocha i suppose. yummy stuff regardless.

Nov. 6, 2013, 8:54 p.m.

^i've got an imperial stout finishing up that could be referred to as such - chocolate malt [HTML_REMOVED] lactose (milk sugar - adds sweetness as it's non fermentable), plus and a cocoa nib infusion (homemade extract) post fermentation. plus coffee and vanilla bean infusions as well. more of a mocha i suppose. yummy stuff regardless.

whoa, that could be a super neat taste!!

Nov. 8, 2013, 11:13 a.m.

I want one of those snowcases…

BCL stock has made its way out to the stores. Most places seem to have gotten a half dozen or so.

Nov. 8, 2013, 12:23 p.m.

Made this a couple weeks ago after a couple beer in my dad's shop. It's ghetto but it works!

Might make a better-looking one some day.

Nov. 8, 2013, 12:57 p.m.

Made this a couple weeks ago after a couple beer in my dad's shop. It's ghetto but it works!

Might make a better-looking one some day.

I've been meaning to do something like that for the growlers to stop the rolling around in the back of the car. Already lost one that way.

Nov. 8, 2013, 1:06 p.m.

if by ghetto you mean fu$%in awesome, then yes.. i have a system with a large re-usable bag from leggacy that has pocktes in it, brown paper bag double wrapped, and seatbelted in through the handles. MUST not spill beer!

WTF, Over?

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:18 p.m.

if by ghetto you mean fu$%in awesome, then yes.. i have a system with a large re-usable bag from leggacy that has pocktes in it, brown paper bag double wrapped, and seatbelted in through the handles. MUST not spill beer!

I actually have a great one from the North Shore liquor store that has velcro in the middle so you can add / remove certain pockets. Works well with smaller bottles / bombers / boston rounds but I don't have anything growler sized.

If I don't have the kids with me I use their car seats.

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:53 p.m.

I've been meaning to do something like that for the growlers to stop the rolling around in the back of the car. Already lost one that way.

Bridge has been selling a nice wooden double carrier for the big growlers.

It's International Stout Day, so I went over to Powell St. and got a fill of their just released winter stout. Based on the taster I had, it's pretty yummy.