bc speeding laws

Sept. 12, 2013, 4:39 p.m.

Informative video and petition….http://sensebc.org/

Chainsmoker 8)

Sept. 12, 2013, 8:21 p.m.

I can empathize with those people in the article. I'll admit it. I've been on road trips and pushed the pedal to the floor at the first opportunity after being stuck behind a caravan of RV's for 30km. Fortunately I never got tagged. Even more fortunate I was young [HTML_REMOVED] single at the time and had my bike in the back of the truck, so if the vehicle got impounded I could at least ride somewhere to crash for a few days.

If that happened now with a wagon full of kids and a 100lb dog I'd be screwed. And probably pretty pissed.

The thing that gets me is that driving in excess of the speed limit is not always dangerous. In fact, sometimes driving under the speed limit can be just as dangerous or more so. Perhaps it would be better if the cops had some discretion.

Sept. 12, 2013, 9:01 p.m.

For years, Montana had "reasonable and prudent" as the speed limit on many highways. Far better system than a set number. There are areas where in the right conditions and with a vehicle that can handle it, 120 mph is reasonable and prudent. There are other days where reasonable and prudent is 20 mph on the same stretch of road. Hell, those times can often be 5 minutes apart with the way the weather changes around here.

and so, why not now?
Maybe all the white crosses?

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Sept. 12, 2013, 10:10 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

www.natooke.com

Sept. 12, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

Speed doesn't kill. Deceleration trauma does.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 13, 2013, 1:59 a.m.

Informative video and petition….http://sensebc.org/

Thanks for the link. Name added. Bout time some common sense was applied.

A while back, I played soccer with the ICBC team (from estimators to management). I asked them about the speed kills campaign, and they said it was bullshit. Intersections are really bad. Slow limits out of the city causes more traffic which causes more accidents.

Take it easy around schools and residential areas. Stop (properly) when you're supposed to. Pay attention to your surroundings - situational awareness is really important. Keep right except to pass. Be courteous.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 13, 2013, 5:13 a.m.

and so, why not now?
Maybe all the white crosses?

Companies were sending their high performance cars out to the east side of the state for testing. A few vehicles were clocked going doing what most would consider to be extreme speeds, upwards of 150 mph. They took it to court and won because they were professional drivers in high performance vehicles, driving on flat prairie, and there was no one around.

The cops were pissed, so they lobbied to have numerical limits imposed.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Sept. 13, 2013, 6:41 a.m.

^

Actually it was the result of one guy driving a camaro at 139 km/h who received a ticket that wasn't upheld by the high court in Montana. The original purpose of the speed limit was to save fuel consumption. Experts still hotly debate speed limits effectiveness as a safety tool.

On March 10, 1996,[135] a Montana patrolman issued a speeding ticket to a motorist|driver traveling at 85 mph (136 km/h) on a stretch of State Highway 200. The 50 year-old driver (Rudy Stanko) was operating a 1996 Chevrolet Camaro with less than 10,000 miles (16,093 km) on the odometer. Although the officer gave no opinion as to what would have been a reasonable speed, the driver was convicted. The driver appealed to the Montana Supreme Court. The Court reversed the conviction in case No. 97-486 on December 23, 1998; it held that a law requiring drivers to drive at a non-numerical "reasonable and proper" speed "is so vague that it violates the Due Process Clause … of the Montana Constitution".

Effective May 28, 1999, as a result of that decision, the Montana Legislature established a speed limit of 75 mph.[136]

Copy and paste the source, I'm to lazy to make a link on my BB

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States#Montana

Sept. 13, 2013, 9:52 a.m.

and there's hardly any animals on the roads in Montana either!
or white crosses.

ski faster, I hear banjo music