BC Liquor Stores want to sell weed in 2016

Dec. 3, 2015, 8:36 a.m.

I think tailoring the legislation and licensing so that only liquor retailers can sell weed (as these guys have proposed) is a fucking monumentally stupid idea. We have an opportunity to create NEW, profitable businesses in communities, lets not hand over sole rights to a bunch of established businesses looking to corner the market early just because "We can check ID's real good". Would we see locally grown pot in Liquor stores? Not likely. Certainly, this would be the easiest way to bring recreational marijuana to BC, but it would cripple us in the long run. The only available pot would be grown by, most likely, cigarette companies (the soon-to-be Budweiser's of weed), as they're the only ones who would be able to provide huge liquor store chains with the quantities of marijuana that they would need to be moving in order to take advantage of their "existing warehouses and distributors". I want to go somewhere where the person selling the product knows about it's benefits and knows where and how it was grown.

Beyond that, I think it's a false equivalent. Weed is not the same as alcohol, we know it's not nearly as deadly and causes far fewer health issues, if any, when compared to alcohol, why continue the false equivalence by selling it next to alcohol?

Dec. 3, 2015, 1:31 p.m.

…. I want to go somewhere where the person selling the product knows about it's benefits and knows where and how it was grown.

what you don't like avid and flora mite? you ar making too much sense. will have to agree.

Dec. 3, 2015, 2:14 p.m.

I think tailoring the legislation and licensing so that only liquor retailers can sell weed (as these guys have proposed) is a fucking monumentally stupid idea. We have an opportunity to create NEW, profitable businesses in communities, lets not hand over sole rights to a bunch of established businesses looking to corner the market early just because "We can check ID's real good". Would we see locally grown pot in Liquor stores? Not likely. Certainly, this would be the easiest way to bring recreational marijuana to BC, but it would cripple us in the long run. The only available pot would be grown by, most likely, cigarette companies (the soon-to-be Budweiser's of weed), as they're the only ones who would be able to provide huge liquor store chains with the quantities of marijuana that they would need to be moving in order to take advantage of their "existing warehouses and distributors". I want to go somewhere where the person selling the product knows about it's benefits and knows where and how it was grown.

Beyond that, I think it's a false equivalent. Weed is not the same as alcohol, we know it's not nearly as deadly and causes far fewer health issues, if any, when compared to alcohol, why continue the false equivalence by selling it next to alcohol?

I hope they plan to adopt the same system as they are using in the states to some degree; the dispensaries buy pot from "legal" growers but everything needs to pass a very rigorous laboratory test so the consumer knows how much active THC and CBD are present as well as an additional screening for any molds, non-organics, pesticides etc. If any nasties show up in the screening they don't buy from the grower and it means with a license you're able to have a level of assurance. Unfortunately I can only assume that the shitty bud that doesn't meet the cut gets passed off to kids and who-knows-who-else, though. If I understand the system correctly down there it's created alot of jobs for "legal" growers (apply for permit, grow good ganja, make money $$$) and ensures a high quality product with a gaurantee of good dope. The gov't also makes extra money on the cost of the permits to grow legally and taxes on the whole shebang as well.

A few years ago my co-worker was buying from a local compassion club after he got a medical note from his doctor; looked like high grade ganja, smelled like high grade ganja but break open a nug and it was all cobwebby and moldy inside. That shit gives you bronchitis and lung infections in a hurry, they just told him it was "harvested a bit late". Hmmmm..gross.

Dec. 3, 2015, 2:22 p.m.

other funny situation that seems appropriate for this thread,

my buddies roomate just went to the new "legal" dealer in town (walk in, pay their doctor $25 to write you a permit and prescription to buy legally, then pay them an absurd amount of $$$ to buy your pot legally from them).

Anyways buddy is telling me he has insomnia and they prescribed/sold him a sativa dominant strain to help with his insomnia but it ain't helping. Well, sativa dominant strains are known for a speedy, heady, racy kind of high - the exact opposite of what you want for helping you sleep. Any decent indica dominant strain high in CBD's would knock him out like a hammer to the back of the head.

This is all shit you can read on wikipedia but somehow their "doctor" couldn't even get it right. Hopefully whatever system the liberals put in will help people get the medecine they actually need. :stupid:

Dec. 3, 2015, 3:36 p.m.

a friend of mine was having serious issues with insomnia , so I made " arrangements " to get her the appropriate medicine .

turns out the " prescription " didn't work out for her so she gave it back to me .

I tells ya , this shit is so sleepy , I won't even use it 'cause that is the exact opposite of what I need from my medication .

Dec. 3, 2015, 3:39 p.m.

Yes lets tax pot! All folks drinking Budwiser and labatts blue will buy the Liquor store crap. The rest will buy the equivalency of craft beer. Which will be a small minority.
90% of the pot grown now is inferior crap grown for profit.
The country will get millions of new dollars from taxes and I will still buy my quality smoke from the minuscule group of growers that care about quality.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Dec. 3, 2015, 4:50 p.m.

Today I asked the liquor store cashier when she was gona be selling dope and she didn't sound very enthused

a friend of mine was having serious issues with insomnia , so I made " arrangements " to get her the appropriate medicine .

turns out the " prescription " didn't work out for her so she gave it back to me .

I tells ya , this shit is so sleepy , I won't even use it 'cause that is the exact opposite of what I need from my medication .

controling the night sweats/insomnia from menopause …didn't work

controlling spasticity/insomnia for a quad … didn't work

works for another buddy but he liked the stuff before he got hurt

Dec. 3, 2015, 5:31 p.m.

they can only tell if you have smoked pot in the last 90 days BUT they can't tell if yer stoned SO just do what everybody who works in camp does … smoke crack

The RCMP could give a shit as long as you got your shit together, the last time I got busted driving from PeeG to Smithers I was some longhaired freak with 5 kayaks on the roof, 3 lbs of freshroasted coffee, 3 or 4 case of wine so as a friend pointed out … I really didn't have anything that wasn't a drug

I gave Buddy law the roach but he tore my car apart looking for the 50lbs of ganja he was hoping for but I was clean so he said "you must have smoked that [HTML_REMOVED]2hrs ago while leaving PG so you are safe to drive right" ( a statement not a question)

uh yeah for sure man, shook hands, have a great day working yer road block officer … chow baby!

the hair test is the big one, they can tell everything by analyzing yer hair but its expensive/ time consuming

Actually there is a swab test that can tell if you smoked in the last 8 hours, also i heard a Vancouver company has a breathalyzer type machine that will tell you blood/THC levels, Washington State troopers are going to be using these. A hair test can tell if you used LSD back in High school.
Go ride Galbraith, you can buy 1 gram doobies for $8.00.

Dec. 3, 2015, 5:45 p.m.

Actually there is a swab test that can tell if you smoked in the last 8 hours, also i heard a Vancouver company has a breathalyzer type machine that will tell you blood/THC levels

they still can't tell if one is actually impaired or not.

Dec. 3, 2015, 5:58 p.m.

Dont people go to the pub drink booze and drive home? The police use years of experience evaluating peoples ability to drive. if you are intoxicated and it shows you will at least get a 24 hour suspension.
Unless your very stoned (which is difficult to hide) driving after smoking a joint is not a detrimental as a depressant like alcohol.
If you are on recreational drugs like booze you are allowed to drive!
How does one asses when you are too stoned?
I think the police are quite good at observing whether you are fit to drive or not.
Should you get high and drive? fuck yeah. I can drink and drive legally.
How bout if you drink too much and drive or get too high and drive your licence is suspended for the rest of your life.?
Bet you would think twice about abusing the privilege of car ownership if it resulted in never driving a car again.

Dec. 3, 2015, 6:06 p.m.

It would be when the subject forgets to breathe

Dec. 3, 2015, 6:29 p.m.

I dunno. I think the last thing I should be doing after smoking a joint is driving.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 3, 2015, 7:32 p.m.

its going to be grown by tweed, the founder of the company is going to make sure of that.

Dec. 4, 2015, 3:38 p.m.

I dunno. I think the last thing I should be doing after smoking a joint is driving.

I agree we should be responsible for our own actions and think of others. Good for you.
Then there is the irony of having parking lots for pubs. So you can drink and drive?

Dec. 4, 2015, 5:45 p.m.

It's funny that we let people talk to others on their cellphone while driving via handsfree when studies have shown our reaction times in those situation are no better than if we had many drinks.

Or what about letting people drive if they haven't slept in 24 hours?

Then there are those who are 'focusing' and have had a lot of sleep yet still lend the impression they drank a lot of paint in their free time (driving in Burnaby and Richmond for the last decade makes me want to crush puppy skulls).

The fact of the matter is, we shouldn't be allowed to drive period. If we really cared about driving our licensing system wouldn't be based on whether the person has a pulse or not. The only thing I'm worried about having pot legal is that people will drive during rush hour while high. I will kill people if they're going 20 under the limit when the morning rush says to go 20 over.