BC Ferries

Oct. 11, 2011, 8:51 p.m.

Hardly use the boats but when I have to its mostly for work or something. Billing bc ferries for riding bc ferries is kinda funny.

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:45 p.m.

The MOT Study pretty much says it all. Boats are cheap and reliable compared to a bridge that would be needed.

Some big bridges…

Akashi-kaikyo - 1,991 m - would work at Furry Creek to cross the Strait of Georgia…

I think a Whytecliff to Bowen to Keats to Gibson option would work. It would be 3 bridges, all smaller than 2km. I think people looking for isolation would hate it, but it would very effectively open up the Sunshine coast to a lot more development.

son?? your 15, you should just be glad ross isnt gay

Oct. 11, 2011, 9:57 p.m.

A bridge would mean more ppl would move here so I hope it never happens.

The only plus side for me is it'd be easier to compete with businesses on the mainland but money doesn't matter that much.

Oct. 11, 2011, 10:06 p.m.

The MOT Study pretty much says it all. Boats are cheap and reliable compared to a bridge that would be needed.

Wow, that really does answer all of the questions.. thanks for the link.

Oct. 11, 2011, 10:10 p.m.

I think it's bullshit that Ferries runs as a monopoly, charges monopoly prices yet pays its executive team 'competitive' salaries.

Who the fack are they competing with? Westjet?

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Oct. 11, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

sea planes man… lol

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:29 p.m.

hmmm - looks like a study that was set up for failure. Rather than widening the scope for the most technically feasible routes, they stuck with the current ferry routes and came up with options that are obviously un-buildable.

Good job MOT!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Oct. 13, 2011, 8:45 p.m.

hmmm - looks like a study that was set up for failure. Rather than widening the scope for the most technically feasible routes, they stuck with the current ferry routes and came up with options that are obviously un-buildable.

Good job MOT!

so how far would one have to drive to go from Vancouver to Nanaimo using your options? It's not like the route(s) that you offered wouldn't have their own cons and yet would still cost plenty…

Having said that, I have no idea how much a highway(s)or bridge(s) costs but maybe you do? Down in Washington state they still run ferries on routes that you can actually drive around in a hour or 2….having said that, their ferry service is a ton cheaper to use then ours.

Your northern route would service a part of the island with the least amount of population and would be one heck of a ton of driving to go from Vancouver to Victoria.

Oct. 13, 2011, 9:06 p.m.

Rewoga…just wondering..how long have you been an islander?

Loud Hubs Save Lives

Oct. 13, 2011, 9:12 p.m.

Having said that, I have no idea how much a highway(s)or bridge(s) costs but maybe you do?

the Akashi-kaikyo cost ~7 billion cdn to build 15 years ago, and is about 1/10 as long as would be needed to bridge the mainland to the island. a tunnel would be cheaper, i think, but take longer to build and you're still probably looking at upwards of 10 billion

I think it's bullshit that Ferries runs as a monopoly, charges monopoly prices yet pays its executive team 'competitive' salaries.

Who the fack are they competing with? Westjet?

um, other companies? they're executives, not pilots; they don't have sector specific/relevant skills

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 13, 2011, 11:38 p.m.

Moan snivel bitch the Ferry costs to much.
Bitch bitch I won't pay higher taxes bitch moan
Whine snivel whine.. how does Quebec get these benefits? Bitch bitch it's so unfair.

stfu

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 13, 2011, 11:48 p.m.

seriously…

The terminals are too fancy
the ferries are too fancy
the services are beyond necessary - whats with all the fancy food? grilled salmon?

it's transportation not a fricken cruise line.

1.Add $20 onto each crossing on the Interior ferries and you could cut the bc ferries fees in half. No reason those people in the interior should get free travel when there are alternate roads.

2.put the off peak ferries on discount fares. Travel mid week at 6am? half price, last ferry on saturday night, half price, friday night 5pm ferry - double price. like airlines do.

3. tell the union to go stuff it and quit paying exorbitant wages to base staff.

I just hope the new CEO has at least lived on the island. Completely different perspective.

Bridge - never gonna happen no matter how smart the engineers…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 14, 2011, 12:11 a.m.

seriously…

The terminals are too fancy
the ferries are too fancy
the services are beyond necessary - whats with all the fancy food? grilled salmon?

it's transportation not a fricken cruise line.

1.Add $20 onto each crossing on the Interior ferries and you could cut the bc ferries fees in half. No reason those people in the interior should get free travel when there are alternate roads.

2.put the off peak ferries on discount fares. Travel mid week at 6am? half price, last ferry on saturday night, half price, friday night 5pm ferry - double price. like airlines do.

3. tell the union to go stuff it and quit paying exorbitant wages to base staff.

I just hope the new CEO has at least lived on the island. Completely different perspective.

Bridge - never gonna happen no matter how smart the engineers…

if your gonna harp on the union employees, you should also throw management in there. I forget how many salary staff are there but the management to employee ratio is super crazy. Also the miss management of the employees is pretty bad from what I hear. I know a few people who have quit because of it. I don't have any solid numbers, but 4-7 managers per vessel are some common numbers. Now saying that, some vessels can have over 40 workers, but some have very small crews…as small as 4.

Also, every person who retires from the ferries gets to ride gets free ridership for life seems a bit much to me. There may not be many people out there with the BCF gold cards, but I'm sure there is a few.

Oct. 14, 2011, 7:46 a.m.

another good thing about the bc ferries is how they bring in lots of ship building contracts to the local shipyards .

Oct. 14, 2011, 8:36 a.m.

pfffftttttttttt

stuff it island boi i ride ferries for fun