BC drought and water use (merged)

July 9, 2015, 10:54 p.m.

This anti-nestle stuff is BS. Get some real water consumption facts - civil and industrial. Every bottle of water that gets sold generates taxes. Every employee and supply chain dependency helps the economy. Every dollar earned by Nestle gets corporate income taxed.

I'll bet any money that every single Nestle hater out there is wasteful in their use of water utilities.

What lame anti-business grandstanding. But hey, we all know Nestle so I suppose they make a good target for people's suppressed discontent and vitriol.

Sad bunch. Why don't you all join Dryp Craver and her campaign against mtbrs for ruining local frog habitats. At least that would have some bearing on the environment and objective reality.

PS. If it's yellow let it mellow. Brown, flush it down.

July 9, 2015, 11:12 p.m.

Every bottle of water that gets sold generates taxes.

Indeed Timmy. How much of that makes it to Canada?

Every employee and supply chain dependency helps the economy.

Sure thing Timmy. How many employees are we talking?

Every dollar earned by Nestle gets corporate income taxed.

Fuck you're cute. Surely Nestle would never Double Irish if they could, right?

I'll bet any money that every single Nestle hater out there is wasteful in their use of water utilities.

How much?

What lame anti-business grandstanding. But hey, we all know Nestle so I suppose they make a good target for people's suppressed discontent and vitriol.

Everyone say it with me now… SSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN.

Sad bunch. Why don't you all join Dryp Craver and her campaign against mtbrs for ruining local frog habitats. At least that would have some bearing on the environment and objective reality.

For someone so against bullshit it's amazing how much you produced in one post.

July 9, 2015, 11:13 p.m.

not sure how Nestle taking water from Hope is a cause of Metro Van's water shortage?

not that i am any fan of them or the ridiculously low rate they pay for water.

July 9, 2015, 11:30 p.m.

Indeed Timmy. How much of that makes it to Canada?

Why don't we start by calculating the amount of HST each bottle sold (of water or other Nestle products using ground-water)?

The government makes more off the HST on Nestle products sold than any water rates would ever bring in per litre.

Guess you overlooked that.

I could go on with your other queries but half the joy is finding the answers for yourself. Guess you don't know much about Nestle. Perhaps start with finding out how many employees work in Hope, BC. Then, add in the entire bottle water supply chain in the Fraser Valley. Then calculate Nestle Canada's profits and corp taxes …

That will keep you busy until you find some dry facts to post and discover the aridity of parched anti-Nestle brain drought ;)

July 10, 2015, 12:09 a.m.

If Vancouver wants to save water, then shut down all the coffee shops.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 10, 2015, 5:13 a.m.

old but relevant

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Outrage+boils+over+government+plans+sell+groundwater+million+litres/10865416/story.html

July 10, 2015, 7:25 a.m.

Well, my kraft dinner water is now cooled off. Time to water the veggie garden.

July 10, 2015, 7:32 a.m.

Time to go shower with a friend. This isn't so bad…

If you put a bucket into the shower you can catch enough water to then flush the morning yellow that's mellowing…

July 10, 2015, 7:59 a.m.

This anti-nestle stuff is BS.

My anti-nestle stuff is that there is minimal reasons for bottled water to be produced and sold in BC. 99% of the time a reusable bottle filled from the tap is way better.

On the flip side they are not getting their water from the municipal water supply so it's a separate issue than water restrictions on treated water.

Another simple water saving measure is to fill up a jug of water in the fridge to drink rather than running the tap until it's cold enough to drink. Insignificant compared to lawn watering but every drop counts.

July 10, 2015, 8:01 a.m.

Too many really clean cars around still. I don't really get that one.

Car washing is allowed, and done right, it uses slightly more than one toilet flush.

"Outdoor car washing [HTML_REMOVED] boat washing - STAGES 1- 2: Only with hose equipped with spring-loaded shut off."

Not allowed at stage 3/4, which is only in effect in Nanaimo/Parksville AFAIK.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 10, 2015, 8:10 a.m.

This anti-nestle stuff is BS. Get some real water consumption facts - civil and industrial. Every bottle of water that gets sold generates taxes. Every employee and supply chain dependency helps the economy. Every dollar earned by Nestle gets corporate income taxed.

Okay, how about we start with how totally unnecessary bottled water is, in a nation with tap water that is tested to a higher standard than bottled water. How about we discuss the waste stream created by bottled water?

Why is Nestle a target? Well, let's start with statements from their previous CEO about privatization of drinking water, then move on to the sweet deal they have with the Province of BC - $2.25 per million liters? Are you kidding? Our province will be paid a whopping $562 for the 250 million liters that Nestle will draw from our waters.

The next cheapest province charges $70 per million liters, btw.

July 10, 2015, 8:15 a.m.

As of July 5 (most recent available) …

Red line is red.

July 10, 2015, 11:50 a.m.

Time to go shower with a friend. This isn't so bad…

If you put a bucket into the shower you can catch enough water to then flush the morning yellow that's mellowing…

As long as you keep it plutonic :)

Okay, how about we start with how totally unnecessary bottled water is, in a nation with tap water that is tested to a higher standard than bottled water.

I guess you live in a home without lead solder in your pipes. Or you like high levels of some metals that are present in some city systems. Or perhaps you forget that city treated water in some areas carries dangerous levels of E-Coli (Walkerton anyone?). But if it wasn't for bottled water, people would still be reaching for a can of Pepsi and there is no way that Pepsi is making it's way into my water utility pipes. City water turbidity issues aside, bottled water (Nestle or Coca Cola's Reverse Osmosis) is generally of consistent high quality and very convenient.

City water is great but not the be-all-and-end-all of good water procurement. Bottled water fills a legit gap in our water-economy. It never prevents anyone from going to a tap.

Looking at Nestle now. The great evil of May and June 2015! (To be replaced by some other corp operation soon enough when the fun wears off for the discontents).

The facts is: Nestle uses (in all USA and Canada operations combined) approx 2 Vancouver city days worth of water.

Consider this: the government rakes in both exorbitant Corporate taxes (From Nestle Canada) and the employees of Nestle's water supply operations pay income tax (also quite exorbitant by world standards) and to top it all off, they mug every bottle at the cash register for HST (also exorbitant).

From a government revenue perspective, it would make perfect sense to give Nestle the water for FREE because Nestle generates a lot of loonies in the provincial coffers. The HST alone is waaaaaaayy waaaaay more than any citizen pays per litre.

So, that's my first argument.

Second. The amount of fresh water generated in BC is obscene. Just look at the Gazzillions of litres of water that flow down the Columbia River watershed each day (each second for that matter). Or how about the flow of the Fraser River. For Gosh sakes, the Fraser is almost the second highest flowing river in the world for a few months of every year.

That's my second argument - that water management is the real problem. We have so much clean water and it is all the exclusive domain of Interior Power Projects. Not looking at that water in a holistic way leads to waste and drought management issues in the future.

The fact is, there is so much fresh water in BC that it could feed every drought parched farm in the entire world. That's no joke, it's the reality of our province and the excess of fresh water we naturally have due to our PNW geographic orientation.

If Vancouver actually runs out of water, it will highlight that the reservoir system is still wholly and completely insufficient. Even with the drought, we had so so much water in the big February storms and the majority of it was doomed as reservoir overflow.

Canada is positioned to be an agricultural giant thanks to global warming (one plus maybe) and our abundant supply of fresh water (if we can get our act together).

Piling on Nestle only demonstrates that people need some corporation to vilify. That means they also have too much idle time on their hands. Vilifying companies over moot issues is a 1st world problem.

ISIS is coming and will sort you all out.

July 10, 2015, noon

What would a water user like Labatt's pay?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 10, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

Piling on Nestle only demonstrates that people need some corporation to vilify. That means they also have too much idle time on their hands. Vilifying companies over moot issues is a 1st world problem.

I thought we were vilifying our government for handing them the water for basically free so they can make a massive profit off of our resources that they can basically just package and sell and which we do not have the same privileged access to as citizens.

All of the tax revenues you mention we would collect anyway.

Why not skip the middle man and just have the government bottle it up and sell it? BC government water.. it tastes beautiful.

Do you work for Nestle or something?