Bali, Indonesia

March 19, 2013, 5:11 p.m.

Hey NBR travelers,

My new wife and I are going to Bali for one week for our honeymoon.

Any tips, warnings or must-not-misses?

We'll be staying in Kuta on the southern end of the island.

Thx,

www.natooke.com

March 19, 2013, 6:11 p.m.

its all pretty good. for a newly wed couple a nice seafood dinner at Jimbaran Bay seafood markets, a sunset dinner at uluwatu, lots of people like Ubud, not a huge fan myself. or rent a scooter, find some cheap street meat and go to town. Bakso is good, Sate from the back of a motorbike, Nasi Campur and masakan padang are all solid food choices.

March 19, 2013, 7:54 p.m.

Nice!! You will have an awesome time just about everywhere you go.

Remember that Kuta is a tourist town and you will look like Christmas dinner (if Buddhists have such a thing). Learn to say "No thank you" in the local language it will come in handy (about 600 times a day).

Click Me

March 19, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

Don't carry the weed back - swallow it in pouches. I saw that on Nat Geo so it must be true

March 19, 2013, 8:08 p.m.

pretty sure you want to stay clear of Aussies .

Pastor of Muppets

March 19, 2013, 8:54 p.m.

I spent a month there in september. We were up on the north east coast and it was awesome. Way less crowds and people.

It really depends what you want to do: Alone time with the lady = smaller villages, or party time with crowds=Kuta. If you want a bit less hustle, you could stay in Sanur, which is pretty close to the airport.

We were mainly diving there, but we did take a day to drive around. $30 for 6 hours in a VW Thing. Cheaper than taking the bus where we needed to go (at that point we were heading to Ubud from Sanur), and got to see some amazing hotels and the backroads/real life of the island. There is mountain biking to be had on the island as well.

It's a great place to learn to dive, as the sites are amazing and the visibility is really good (40+meters).
Let me know if you want some more info - I know a couple people there that would keep you safe…. .

March 19, 2013, 10:46 p.m.

Nice!! You will have an awesome time just about everywhere you go.

Remember that Kuta is a tourist town and you will look like Christmas dinner (if Buddhists have such a thing). Learn to say "No thank you" in the local language it will come in handy (about 600 times a day).

Sounds like tourist spots in China!

Don't carry the weed back - swallow it in pouches. I saw that on Nat Geo so it must be true

Gonna abstain for this one, unless someone I think I can trust passes me something that's already lit.

pretty sure you want to stay clear of Aussies .

This is advice I follow no matter where I travel. When I was in Vietnam 3 aussies on separate occasions tried to hit on my gf at the time. One guy even tried to save her from a drowning that wasn't occurring and took the chance to cop more than a few feels. This time it would be just be funny to watch them try their lines on my non-English speaking wife who has been known to punch dudes in the face that even look at her wrong.

www.natooke.com

March 19, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! We would like to do some nature hiking with chances to spot some exotic wildlife. Anyone know the best spot for that?

www.natooke.com

March 19, 2013, 11:01 p.m.

my non-English speaking wife who has been known to punch dudes in the face that even look at her wrong.

did you marry that Ladyboi?

March 19, 2013, 11:02 p.m.

Cover your knees, or you will expected to rent a sarong to cover them when visiting the temples.

The monkeys are evil and everywhere.

Swimming with turtles is spectacular.

Passion fruit for breakfast.

Watch out for the German tourists driving their jeeps down the sidewalks, especially ones who have just purchased cheap leather jackets.

Try the banana pancakes with gula (liquid sugar).

Do the touristy stuff, it is fun, but realize the Euro tourist side is more $, three prices for everything, locals, other Indonesians or friends, and Europeans/Australians, okay.

Kids will want you to take their photos, and then ask for money afterward. (I forget the exact phrase, trous, trous with hand out stretched, palm up)

Very friendly, very active night life.

Nobody seems to have canines.

Lots of art work much cheaper than in Jakarta, and don't feel rushed to buy.

Terima kasih, is the polite way to say thank you, but terima or just kasih work too.

March 19, 2013, 11:37 p.m.

The hard liquor in Bali is sketch. If its too-good-to-be-true cheap then its most certainly fake. Its not uncommon for bottles to be refilled (cut with arak, or worse). Everything, including the labels and seals on bottles can be faked. Best to bring in your own hard liquor. Liquor in Indo is in general very expensive.

Arak Daniels, Araksolute etc are no joke

Goin' Down?

March 19, 2013, 11:42 p.m.

personally my favorite is an arakattack jam jar from the bounty to wash 5 or 6 ephidrene pills, which is pretty much just speed, that you can buy over the counter for cold and flu. some sweet hangovers come from this combination…

March 20, 2013, 11:59 a.m.

Deus machina compound.

yeah bro!!

March 20, 2013, 12:17 p.m.

Hey NBR travelers,

My new wife and I are going to Bali for one week for our honeymoon.

Any tips, warnings or must-not-misses?

We'll be staying in Kuta on the southern end of the island.

Thx,

Surf the f*ck outta that place :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

That's my only advice - aside from the other, more obvious antics which include similar vernacular.

Congratz!!
DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."

March 20, 2013, 11:25 p.m.

Go get shacked in some keggers brah!

\mn/

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.