Baby seats (for bikes)?

April 24, 2009, 11:51 a.m.

also get a run bike.

DITTO

Or just get a cheap kids bike - remove pedals and cranks - add appropriate padding (duct tape and some foam) and PRESTO-CHANGO - RUNBIKE!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 24, 2009, 11:59 a.m.

Trailer sounds the least awkward of them. All I can think about with either of the baby seat options is doubling friends on a bike as kids and how much it screwed up your balance and the inevitable crash that soon followed.

Trailers have limitations too - you are forced onto wider/smoother trails or onto the road by default.

Wider turning radius too.

Crash issue also - if you dodge something but the trailer doesn't (trailer is wider). I also don't trust drivers to be paying attention and not noticing the trailer - i.e. risk of collision/getting run over…they are damn heavy too (cheaper ones that is)

and yes - I have tried a trailer also. It is handy for hauling groceries!!

may i point out it only needs to happen once.

True - same with anything tho - living in fear of the worst possible outcome of any activity will just have you end up spending a lot of time in bed.

My blog - read it!

April 24, 2009, 12:01 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

If I had a kid I would NEVER put them in one of those death traps. Like everyone said, get a trailer, some basic ones could be had for fairly cheap and usually fold up pretty small when not in use. However, since you seem to be pretty against getting a trailer, my next suggestion would me a trail a bike.

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

April 24, 2009, 12:02 p.m.

My father had an old folding bike with little tires, with a rear-mounted kid seat on it. Sometime in the early 90s I took it out with a 4-y-o kid I was babysitting in the seat. I got off-balanced near the end of the ride and we had an awesome slow sideways bail into a grassy ditch. The rear seats still make me nervous.

We have a trailer for the baby, but haven't tried it. it's being stored at a friend's place since we have no room. At this rate we'll never actually use it.

April 24, 2009, 12:04 p.m.

True - same with anything tho - living in fear of the worst possible outcome of any activity will just have you end up spending a lot of time in bed.

Some of my best days are spent in bed!

April 24, 2009, 12:06 p.m.

depending on who i'm spending it with, that's not a bad thing IMO

April 24, 2009, 12:09 p.m.

depending on who i'm spending it with, that's not a bad thing IMO

are you flirting with me again!?!

My blog - read it!

April 24, 2009, 12:25 p.m.

Got an Instep trailer and one of these:
http://www.ibertinc.com/

JV bike downtown has them. We use each for different things…colder weather the trailer makes sense, warmer weather and our little guys loves the ibert b/c he can see everything.

I wouldn't say trailers are any more safe than the ibert…I am always nervous with the trailer whenever there are cars around - this big thing hanging off the back of my bike.

My $0.02

April 24, 2009, 12:29 p.m.

Your best bet is one of these, hella common in Japan:

Put the kid in front if you want him/her to grow up to be Speed Racer. And room for the next spawn.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 24, 2009, 12:33 p.m.

my kids called it the 100 acre wood and one of them swears he seen Winnie the poo

By far your best anecdote, I LOL'ed.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 24, 2009, 12:42 p.m.

I loved going for bike rides with my mom in that little orange seat on the back of the bike and we never fell. It was huge fun, my mom had such a hard time getting me out of it. I think thats why I fell in love with bikes so bad.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

April 24, 2009, 12:45 p.m.

I loved going for bike rides with my mom in that little orange seat on the back of the bike and we never fell. It was huge fun, my mom had such a hard time getting me out of it. I think thats why I fell in love with bikes so bad.

Maybe you fell and crashed hard but don't remember it?

April 24, 2009, 12:58 p.m.

and then you will need addition child carriers, it's a vicious cycle!

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

April 24, 2009, 1:09 p.m.

You must have been one clumsy kid Heat ;) Every kid in our town doubled someone at least once a day and I cannot recall this resulting in any crashes.

Well to be fair we were all rotten kids. The crash was usually caused by the guy on the back jumping off in one direction while shoving your elbow forward so you'd crash in the other direction. Or jumping off curbs while doubling, or the big rock on Wallace street etc etc.

April 24, 2009, 1:20 p.m.

are you flirting with me again!?!

not intentionally :???: