awd vs 4wd

Dec. 30, 2008, 12:56 p.m.

Sure does. But I also believe it helps with braking also. Best way I can describe it is that in 4wd the vehicle feels "planted" while in 2wd it feels light and too touchy on ice.

Won't affect braking at all, unless it has jake brake built into it :lol:

Any 4wd will feel different in 2wd vs 4wd when driving. My cherokee was very different to drive, but braking was zero difference.

Of course if you want real 4wd get an old ramcharger - big block power and the 4wd shifter has 4 settings - all of them 4wd :D

Dec. 30, 2008, 1:40 p.m.

I can't help but think we are comparing apples amd oranges here…

An example is my old '81 GMC 4X4 that is a death trap in 4X4 on icy roads. That's because of the design of the 4X4. It's 205 transfer case is basically a solid set of gears that ties the front and rear axles solidly. If the front wheels lock up so do the back and you're into a 4 wheel skid…

A newer GM pickup with an auto t-case doesn't have this problem. A 246 transfer case has a set of clutches and an encoder motor that work off the ABS sensors… If the front tires lock it disconnects the front from the rear and you don't go into a 4 wheel skid.

Every system has different driving characteristics and as long as I'm not peeling you off my back bumper I'm happy…. :lol:

Dec. 30, 2008, 1:59 p.m.

-Well, unless the deer comes through the windshield and kills you…

-Maybe if you are a pro driver, but like I said, ABS is about vehicle control…. the systems are designed around that, not around who can stop fastest….

-And your last statement reinforces my point…your brakes locked up…If you had ABS you possibly could have steered away from the situation. The ONCE you speak of could have been a kid running across the street…

Don't get me wrong here… I love locking the brakes up and doing a few 360s in a snow covered parking lot…I'm a dude after all!…but for the average driver that doesn't know what their vehicle is doing like a soccer mom, ABS is the way to go…

Jeez, it's like this thread has went back to the early 80's when ABS was being developed….:ohthedrama:

If you hit a patch of ice and think your abs will help you steer out of it you're retarded. All abs is gonna do is let go of the brakes slightly, helping you not slide so much, but it won't help your car go straight or turn at all on ice. Plus everyone knows when you hit ice you let off the brakes and go straight to stop, not turn and spin out of control… It's a safety feature I agree, and for the masses it's great because most retards don't take driving school and don't even know what "feathering" the brakes means.

Clunking is for retards.

Dec. 30, 2008, 2:20 p.m.

If you hit a patch of ice and think your abs will help you steer out of it you're retarded. All abs is gonna do is let go of the brakes slightly, helping you not slide so much, but it won't help your car go straight or turn at all on ice. Plus everyone knows when you hit ice you let off the brakes and go straight to stop, not turn and spin out of control… It's a safety feature I agree, and for the masses it's great because most retards don't take driving school and don't even know what "feathering" the brakes means.

Well….no reason to start calling names but you're the retard one in this discussion… ABS doesn't "let go of the brakes" durung an ABS event…..it modulates it from lockup to freewheel at hundred of times a second…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M

There is no way a human can duplicate ABS function…

As for the highlighted portion in your statement…You obviously have never read up on 4 wheel ABS operation or have experienced it in a real life panic situation… No spinning out of control there buddy….

Dec. 30, 2008, 2:31 p.m.

AWD FTW
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=236474[HTML_REMOVED]CT=V

Dec. 30, 2008, 3:29 p.m.

Any 4wd will feel different in 2wd vs 4wd when driving. My cherokee was very different to drive, but braking was zero difference.

Of course if you want real 4wd get an old ramcharger - big block power and the 4wd shifter has 4 settings - all of them 4wd :D

still, 4wd is much better for using the engine to slow down in snowy conditions.

which is not what he was saying. it's just what i'm saying.

Dec. 30, 2008, 5:31 p.m.

Actually, using the brakes while the vehicle is still in gear while in 4wd can create quite a different result than braking in 2wd. Since your wheels are still forced to spin at the same rate (front/back) while in 2wd they can still spin at a different rate while under braking. I would say its easier to loose control in 4wd under braking than 2wd or awd.

Dec. 30, 2008, 6:06 p.m.

Well….no reason to start calling names but you're the retard one in this discussion… ABS doesn't "let go of the brakes" durung an ABS event…..it modulates it from lockup to freewheel at hundred of times a second…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M

There is no way a human can duplicate ABS function…

As for the highlighted portion in your statement…You obviously have never read up on 4 wheel ABS operation or have experienced it in a real life panic situation… No spinning out of control there buddy….

My apologies about the name calling but that video was cheese. Who hammers the brakes and turns there wheel when driving on snow at 60+km/h?, that's the first thing they tell you not to do in adverse conditions.. And on the first abs run at 1:35 the guy hit's the brakes then let's go, and coast's without stopping…Either way I could do anything on that video without abs so easily, even the ice part. I've driven hundreds of cars with abs and my daily right now has abs, but abs won't stop your wheel from locking when you first hammer the brakes, but it will modulate after that point until stopping. Like I said before, abs is for people who can't pay attention, can't maintain space margins and generally have no control of their vehicle in day to day driving, if you need to hammer your brakes in the snow you are following way to close, and if you hammer your brakes on ice you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

I do agree that they are safer for the general public and do add measures of safety beyond human ability but they aren't "needed" at all.
"let go of the brakes" was a lamens term and is essentially the same as modulating the brakes a hundred times a second. Call it what you want I know what it does. True a human cannot duplicate this that fast, but a human can duplicate the abs function by lifting on and off the brakes until traction is present, I've done this on my ranger with no abs in the snow and rain hundreds of times to great affect, it's what people did before abs, then computers came along and do it for us now…

I've driven the COQ highway more than a hundred times in the snow, ice, and rain and have only had one problem problem with controlling my non abs truck and that was when a deer jumped onto the road in front of me. I hammered the brakes then let off and pumped them like I stated above, I didn't spin out of control, but I did hit the deer. Not hard enough to kill him but knock him down and fuck up my grill. Most people don't have the reaction time in a speedy situation to turn or avoid someone if they are too close anyway. You don't need abs or traction control, but they are nice features of modern technology.

Clunking is for retards.

Dec. 30, 2008, 6:24 p.m.

My apologies about the name calling but that video was cheese. Who hammers the brakes and turns there wheel when driving on snow at 60+km/h?, that's the first thing they tell you not to do in adverse conditions.. And on the first abs run at 1:35 the guy hit's the brakes then let's go, and coast's without stopping…Either way I could do anything on that video without abs so easily, even the ice part. I've driven hundreds of cars with abs and my daily right now has abs, but abs won't stop your wheel from locking when you first hammer the brakes, but it will modulate after that point until stopping. Like I said before, abs is for people who can't pay attention, can't maintain space margins and generally have no control of their vehicle in day to day driving, if you need to hammer your brakes in the snow you are following way to close, and if you hammer your brakes on ice you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

I do agree that they are safer for the general public and do add measures of safety beyond human ability but they aren't "needed" at all.
"let go of the brakes" was a lamens term and is essentially the same as modulating the brakes a hundred times a second. Call it what you want I know what it does. True a human cannot duplicate this that fast, but a human can duplicate the abs function by lifting on and off the brakes until traction is present, I've done this on my ranger with no abs in the snow and rain hundreds of times to great affect, it's what people did before abs, then computers came along and do it for us now…

I've driven the COQ highway more than a hundred times in the snow, ice, and rain and have only had one problem problem with controlling my non abs truck and that was when a deer jumped onto the road in front of me. I hammered the brakes then let off and pumped them like I stated above, I didn't spin out of control, but I did hit the deer. Not hard enough to kill him but knock him down and fuck up my grill. Most people don't have the reaction time in a speedy situation to turn or avoid someone if they are too close anyway. You don't need abs or traction control, but they are nice features of modern technology.

You have some good points… Each accident is different… that's why people get paid big money to recreate accident scenes…

However… I've honestly driven every GM vehicle under the sun and see the benefits of ABS in all of them. To somehow tie this to the main topic…. ABS is a required item on most modern 4WD vehicles. Someone had mentioned defeating the ABS by removing the fuse… On a lot of modern vehicles if you do this it can disable the 4WD because it needs the ABS inputs…

I don't think you understand exactly what the ABS is doing in that video… On a modern vehicle you can literally steer around pylons on a freshly surfaced hockey rink…no way anyone could do that without ABS… and 95[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of the people on the road will try to push the brake pedal through the floor if a deer jumps in fron tof them IMO…

IMO…The Coq isn't really winter driving…. try driving the Pine Pass up North off and on for 20 years…or the Alaska highway every day for a few years….. I honestly can't believe how much of a big deal people make about the "Coq"…. It's ridiculous they park snow plows because of road conditions on that highway…. the only time a plow gets parked in a snow storm anywhere else is whe it's upside down… :)

Anyway…. :deadhorse:

Dec. 30, 2008, 7:23 p.m.

ABS would make this unpredictable as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4[HTML_REMOVED]feature=related

If I just shelled out 30-40K for a car that came equippeed with ABS, I'd keep it.
However, having driven both ABS and standard brakes, it's much more predictable for me to just feather my brakes.

As for my car community, ABS is just removed as the entire unit as well as All wheel steering.

PS: connor, my driver license is good. The only difference from ATB? I got my class 5 a year and half ago when ATB could have gotten his almost 3 years ago.

oh hai!

Dec. 30, 2008, 7:30 p.m.

You have got to be kidding! If you have never been in a panick stop situation you have never driven much. How long have you been drivng???

So you've never been on an icy road and a deer jumps out in front of you? You've never been following someone and they have ran head on into another vehicle and both vehicles have spun into your lane? You've never came over the crest of a hill to find a semi trailer sitting sideways on the road upside down with no lights on it working?……..

btw the "drifting 18 year old" (NOT) here would like to recommend something called. SPACING, constant OBSERVATION and positive thoughts.

If all those three things happened to me, chances are I will probably not be able to walk again, with or w/o ABS.

with all due respect of course ;)

oh hai!

Dec. 30, 2008, 7:57 p.m.

btw the "drifting 18 year old" (NOT) here would like to recommend something called. SPACING, constant OBSERVATION and positive thoughts.

If all those three things happened to me, chances are I will probably not be able to walk again, with or w/o ABS.

with all due respect of course ;)

OK….not 18……How about 20?….. ;)

You have a thoruogh profile…. ;)

I said those scenarios because they all have happened to myself with ABS….probably would be dead without it…. "positive thoughts" as you suggest just wouldn't have pulled me though the scenario…. :lol: It's hard to "space" a vehicle when all you see is headlights….tailights….headlights…tailights….coming at you into your lane :damn:

Dec. 30, 2008, 10:17 p.m.

your tires can do 3 things, accelerate, slow down or turn.

Dec. 31, 2008, 12:24 a.m.

All I know is LSD's + downshifting in snow= great way to initiate powerslides :D

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Dec. 31, 2008, 2:02 a.m.

All I know is LSD's + downshifting in snow= great way to initiate powerslides :D

you dont even need an lsd, i was doing lat all the time last year in my s10.