awd vs 4wd

Dec. 30, 2008, 12:56 a.m.

LOL…. Try this….remove that ABS fuse and slam your brakes on and try to turn a corner……Now reinstall that fuse and do the same thing….ABS isn't about stopping distances. It's about avoiding collisions by being able to steer during a panic stop on icy roads…

It's been mentioned in this thread, many other systems operate off ABS inputs including AWD syatems, TCM inputs, TCCM inputs, ECM inputs…etc… Bypassing an ABS system is ridiculous…Why would you bypass it??

BTW… If you're in an accident and it's found you have tampered with your ABS you will be charged with a faulty vehicle.

Why would I just slam on my brakes, I

Dec. 30, 2008, 1:12 a.m.

LOL…. Try this….remove that ABS fuse and slam your brakes on and try to turn a corner……Now reinstall that fuse and do the same thing….ABS isn't about stopping distances. It's about avoiding collisions by being able to steer during a panic stop on icy roads…

It's been mentioned in this thread, many other systems operate off ABS inputs including AWD syatems, TCM inputs, TCCM inputs, ECM inputs…etc… Bypassing an ABS system is ridiculous…Why would you bypass it??

BTW… If you're in an accident and it's found you have tampered with your ABS you will be charged with a faulty vehicle.

ABS does suck. Like Random Hero said things like those are for "n00bs".

I'm no stig or world's awesomest driver, but for people who enjoy driving ABS sucks. Your brain, legs and eyes are your ABS. DO bikes come with them? Hell no. Sure it's impractical for bikes because of the ABS system's weight but if you see people who crash all the time at whistler, it's either people who don't know how to control their brakes or drunk freetards putting in some last laps after some 5 dollar burger and 10 dollar pitcher (AKA 15 dollar dinner) at Merlins. Most of the time the freetards ride better after the beer.

oh hai!

Dec. 30, 2008, 2:29 a.m.

i thought i knew the diff, but what if an suv had

awd
4wd hi
4wd lo

??

when would one use awd as opposed to 4wd in the same car?

Given this choice…the 4WD-HI is almost pointless.
AWD will outperform 4WD-HI until in actual slow speed offroad conditions that call for 4WD-LO, which adds the element of locking slippage between the front and rear ends and the speed is reduced anyways.

Dec. 30, 2008, 3:14 a.m.

Oh they invented abs because of idiots who couldn't figure out how to feather there breaks in quick reaction situations and dangerous road conditions.

Even with all the high tech cars you still see a million idiots in the ditch, and a million more rear ending cars, so does abs really help?

Clunking is for retards.

Dec. 30, 2008, 6:13 a.m.

ABS does suck. Like Random Hero said things like those are for "n00bs".

I'm no stig or world's awesomest driver, but for people who enjoy driving ABS sucks. Your brain, legs and eyes are your ABS. DO bikes come with them? Hell no. Sure it's impractical for bikes because of the ABS system's weight but if you see people who crash all the time at whistler, it's either people who don't know how to control their brakes or drunk freetards putting in some last laps after some 5 dollar burger and 10 dollar pitcher (AKA 15 dollar dinner) at Merlins. Most of the time the freetards ride better after the beer.

I build, work on, and program ABS systems…you don't have to tell me how they work. There is no way humanly possible you can reproduce the benefits of ABS…

Your reference to bikes is riduculous…Do you mountainbike on black ice?? Do you mountainbike behind an unexperience supermom SUV driver??

Your post is written like you are 18 years old and figure you can outperform am ABS system you absolutely know nothing about…. Your probably just pissed that you have trouble slamming your brakes on while drifting your car in the supermarket parking lot…"enjoying" your driving…You'll grow out of that…..LOL

Sorry to come across as an asshole…but come on!

Dec. 30, 2008, 6:19 a.m.

Oh they invented abs because of idiots who couldn't figure out how to feather there breaks in quick reaction situations and dangerous road conditions.

Even with all the high tech cars you still see a million idiots in the ditch, and a million more rear ending cars, so does abs really help?

Yes…that is why they invented it…

And yes, it does help. Most of the ABS events that have probably saved your life or car have been in your rear view mirror and you were completely unaware of it….think about that….

Dec. 30, 2008, 6:25 a.m.

Why would I just slam on my brakes, I[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;ve never done that on my bike, even with bears and whistler retards jumping out in front of me.

Most abs systems are shit, esp on early 90's cars. Sure if you just mash the brake pedal to the floor you can still turn a bit, but it takes a good bit farther to slow down.

What if the car never even had abs

You have got to be kidding! If you have never been in a panick stop situation you have never driven much. How long have you been drivng???

So you've never been on an icy road and a deer jumps out in front of you? You've never been following someone and they have ran head on into another vehicle and both vehicles have spun into your lane? You've never came over the crest of a hill to find a semi trailer sitting sideways on the road upside down with no lights on it working?……..

Dec. 30, 2008, 6:32 a.m.

There used to be a time when traction control was controlled by a throttle and brake.

If your referring to a system like Bosch's ESP, then no amount of throttle and/or brake action is going to compensate.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ9AaFB7Zc

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ9AaFB7Zc

Sure its annoying when you really want to have fun, but ultimately it saves lives.

And I have no issues driving in 4hi here in Winterpeg….where its cold as fuck and the streets are always covered in ice.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Dec. 30, 2008, 8:03 a.m.

You have got to be kidding! If you have never been in a panick stop situation you have never driven much. How long have you been drivng???

So you've never been on an icy road and a deer jumps out in front of you? You've never been following someone and they have ran head on into another vehicle and both vehicles have spun into your lane? You've never came over the crest of a hill to find a semi trailer sitting sideways on the road upside down with no lights on it working?……..

In all those situations you've just listed, your one unlucky bastard already and the big guys has already marked you for death. Except for the deer thing, just paste the bugger and keep driving.

ABS sucks. You can stop 3x as fast by braking on the threshold.

I rear ended someone once, panic braking. Locked up and slid into him. ONCE. Been in 10x worse situations after the initial crash, again without abs, and if you keep calm while driving it shouldnt be an issue.

Dec. 30, 2008, 9:32 a.m.

In all those situations you've just listed, your one unlucky bastard already and the big guys has already marked you for death. Except for the deer thing, just paste the bugger and keep driving.

ABS sucks. You can stop 3x as fast by braking on the threshold.

I rear ended someone once, panic braking. Locked up and slid into him. ONCE. Been in 10x worse situations after the initial crash, again without abs, and if you keep calm while driving it shouldnt be an issue.

-Well, unless the deer comes through the windshield and kills you…

-Maybe if you are a pro driver, but like I said, ABS is about vehicle control…. the systems are designed around that, not around who can stop fastest….

-And your last statement reinforces my point…your brakes locked up…If you had ABS you possibly could have steered away from the situation. The ONCE you speak of could have been a kid running across the street…

Don't get me wrong here… I love locking the brakes up and doing a few 360s in a snow covered parking lot…I'm a dude after all!…but for the average driver that doesn't know what their vehicle is doing like a soccer mom, ABS is the way to go…

Jeez, it's like this thread has went back to the early 80's when ABS was being developed….:ohthedrama:

Dec. 30, 2008, 10:58 a.m.

And I have no issues driving in 4hi here in Winterpeg….where its cold as fuck and the streets are always covered in ice.

4hi helps with ice? i thought 4WD made no difference on ice :???:

Dec. 30, 2008, 11 a.m.

It doesn't help with braking. But it helps to get moving and maintain control.

Dec. 30, 2008, 11:53 a.m.

I think I threw the thread off track into a mindless ABS discussion…oops!:rolleyes:

Like Heatmizer says…4WD is about control of the vehicle..

I kinda went on a rant about Antilock brakes (and people purposely making it inoperative) because the ABS works hand in hand with the 4WD to help maintain control. When the computer sees that you are spinning on some vehicles it makes the 4WD work. The computer sees that is spinning from the ABS wheel speed sensors. If you defeat the ABS you can affect the vehicles safety in some four wheel drives…

Dec. 30, 2008, 12:11 p.m.

But it helps to get moving and maintain control.

Sure does. But I also believe it helps with braking also. Best way I can describe it is that in 4wd the vehicle feels "planted" while in 2wd it feels light and too touchy on ice.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Dec. 30, 2008, 12:28 p.m.

this would probably be down the list seeing as neither atb or DI have a license right now…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.