Attn electrical wizards re: led lights

May 10, 2012, 11:01 p.m.

Do these things operate at a different frequency than 60 Hz or something?

LED tail lights on cars screw my eyes up something fierce!

enlighten me.

Pastor of Muppets

May 10, 2012, 11:03 p.m.

Do these things operate at a different frequency than 60 Hz or something?

enlighten me.

you are driving to close to the vehicle in front of you[HTML_REMOVED]

:D

May 11, 2012, 12:16 a.m.

LED lights, being DC, should not have a frequency at all, like an incandescent lightbulb on a 60Hz AC circuit. They're either on or off. Maybe you're specially sensitive to something you're seeing from the alternator of certain cars?

But even that doesn't make much sense as the LEDs should be operating from the approximately 13.8V which is provided by the battery on a typical car with a well-charged battery. Does it look different to you if you see the LEDs on a car that is turned on, but engine not running, and when the engine is on?

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

May 11, 2012, 5:53 a.m.

LED lights, being DC, should not have a frequency at all, like an incandescent lightbulb on a 60Hz AC circuit. They're either on or off. Maybe you're specially sensitive to something you're seeing from the alternator of certain cars?

But even that doesn't make much sense as the LEDs should be operating from the approximately 13.8V which is provided by the battery on a typical car with a well-charged battery. Does it look different to you if you see the LEDs on a car that is turned on, but engine not running, and when the engine is on?

Humph…for some reason somewhere along the way I was told that they are convertesd back to AC at the diode. thats why I asked.

Good point about the alternator,since diodes can switch on and off instantly unlike an incandescent,one could actually detect the minor pulses coming from the diode pack in the alternator (just a theory,take it easy guys).

Its only the leds in the lights on cars that bother me…..theres gotta be something to this.

Pastor of Muppets

May 11, 2012, 6:48 a.m.

it's more likely that the led behind the red lens is a bluish white, which has a shorter wavelength then other colours, and that causes more glare.

Same idea as those really white Nighthawk headlights or whatever they are that blind you as they drive by

May 11, 2012, 6:58 a.m.

When this happens, have you checked if the area you're driving through has the new smart meters? I bet that fucks your shit up.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 11, 2012, 7:14 a.m.

When this happens, have you checked if the area you're driving through has the new smart meters? I bet that fucks your shit up.

Kn.

They put a smart meter in my house yesterday. I'm typing this in my closet right now wrapped in tinfoil.

May 11, 2012, 8:41 a.m.

On a car they are running on a PWM (Pulse width modulation) circuit. By varying the duty cycle, you can change the effective brightness of the lights allowing the tail lights to double up as the brake lights. I believe that changing duty cycle is easier than changing the voltage to the LED, and it would be more linear.

May 11, 2012, 9:53 a.m.

They put a smart meter in my house yesterday. I'm typing this in my closet right now wrapped in tinfoil.

Be careful that you're not using Chinese made tinfoil eh. It has a high lead content and I think they include spent nuclear waste in it too. That's how China rids themselves of nuclear waste. Sorry Nucular.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 11, 2012, 10:46 a.m.

I have one of those cool LED hanging lamps with the remote that allows you to choose from hundreds of colors. I bought it for our bedroom thinking that it might add some "ambience". It works awesome, but the problem is that the transformer buzzes like a million tiny bees. It's a super high frequency sound, and my wife can't hear it, but I can. It was so bad that I had to take it out of our room at night because I just couldn't sleep with it in there.

I never really thought about it until your thread, but certain colors in an RGB system will run at different frequencies creating a natural resonance. Maybe you and I are just more sensitive to magnetic fields and electricity.

There was a cab driver in Montreal who told me that he was able to rub his hands together, and "feel" magnetic North through his hands. My wife is able to do the same thing, whereas I'm not.

Anyone else heard of this phenonomonomonomom?

May 11, 2012, 10:48 a.m.

Your eyes (more precisely the cone cells of your retina) may just be extra-sensitive to some wavelengths of red light which may tend to overstimulate them. LED's, unlike incandescent light sources, emit all their power over a relatively narrow range of wavelengths. (The emitted wavelength is set by the band-gap of the diode).

I have seen this phenomenon with some older CMOS video cameras where bright orange-red matte objects in bright lighting (eg ballhockey balls) would show up as fuzzy blobs due (prseumeably) to oversaturation of the photosite on the detector.

Either that, or aliens are stealing your thoughts.

May 11, 2012, 11:22 a.m.

needs moar tinfoil

May 11, 2012, 11:36 a.m.

Humph…for some reason somewhere along the way I was told that they are convertesd back to AC at the diode. thats why I asked.

Good point about the alternator,since diodes can switch on and off instantly unlike an incandescent,one could actually detect the minMior pulses coming from the diode pack in the alternator (just a theory,take it easy guys).

Its only the leds in the lights on cars that bother me…..theres gotta be something to this.

Rectifier.

Some people are more sensitive to flicker than others. Used to be an issue and quite noticeable for some on CRT monitors.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 11, 2012, 8:26 p.m.

Haven't been able to sleep at night since smart meter installation. MLB is spying on me

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 11, 2012, 8:32 p.m.

i know what size hat you wear!

Ha Ha! Made you look.