ATTN DEL... longboard steeze. Now with vid!

June 28, 2007, 11:19 p.m.

my gf got me this for my birthday last week. Landyachtz The Chief.

Lucky bastard. You guys make me wish I had places to ride here….

Just saw this…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoCKbKVmay4

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

June 29, 2007, 3:25 p.m.

sliding is pretty sick for sure

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

June 29, 2007, 3:34 p.m.

Okay so educate me a bit here. Bought my setup complete from Del used. Spinning a wheel by hand now, it feels like its binding a bit. Do I just take off the locknut in the middle, and I'll be able to get at the bearings? Will they be looseball type, so I just clean and repack like bearings on my bike?

Also, wheels… if at some point in the future I was looking at new wheels, is there any downside to just getting the biggest ones I can get my hands on? This is purely for transportation, so I figure bigger wheels means it takes a bigger rock to knock me over?

A quick look at the boardroom site shows that 'ABEC 11' makes some of the biggest, their 64mm wheels are much cheaper than the other two brands, but their 74mm ones are pretty expensive.

Thoughts?

This space intentionally left blank.

June 29, 2007, 3:36 p.m.

Okay so educate me a bit here. Bought my setup complete from Del used. Spinning a wheel by hand now, it feels like its binding a bit. Do I just take off the locknut in the middle, and I'll be able to get at the bearings? Will they be looseball type, so I just clean and repack like bearings on my bike?

Thoughts?

I would assume that they are skate bearings, If so just cruise to a skate shop and pick up a pack. Might as well change em' all.

June 29, 2007, 3:44 p.m.

I would assume that they are skate bearings, If so just cruise to a skate shop and pick up a pack. Might as well change em' all.

Just checked boardroom's bearing section (which I guess I should have done from the get-go). Guess they're sealed. Well okay, that makes it easy.

So still waiting on a wheel-size answer, now I also want to know about high vs low trucks, and how truck width affects the ride.

My first instinct is that I want huge wheels with low, wide trucks. Bad idea?

June 29, 2007, 3:44 p.m.

A quick look at the boardroom site shows that 'ABEC 11' makes some of the biggest, their 64mm wheels are much cheaper than the other two brands, but their 74mm ones are pretty expensive.

Thoughts?

i would just pick up some new bearings and throw them in. or spray some urethane safe lubricant in there.

ABEC 11 makes the best wheels in the industry. look at every racers boards. I ride 76mm big zig retro race formula gumballs, and on the fibreflex i am running 77mm strikers. beautiful wheels.

edited to add: i love wide low trucks. thats why i ride the indy 215s. but these randals arent bad the first set i have owned and so far i like them. im still hardcore for indy. my theory is unless you are racing 75-77mm wheels are best with your trucks as low as possible. I dont wedge or put anything between my board and trucks. and remember loose trucks save lives.

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

June 29, 2007, 4:23 p.m.

this thread is so unfortunate

June 29, 2007, 4:34 p.m.

I find 'em easy as hell to steer…we saw a couple guys in full leathers, full faces, and streetbike gloves bombing hartland hill 5 or 6 years ago, looked like a blast!

yeah theres a guy by my house who takes the bus up to SFU and just bombs down…. long boards are like surf boards there really quite fun

June 29, 2007, 5:08 p.m.

little video i threw together of riding last summer.

June 29, 2007, 5:17 p.m.

this thread is so unfortunate

Yeah god forbid people go out and have fun. I dont give a damn if every kid in highschool starts longboarding, or even just walks around carring one, they are fun as shit for me.

Right on Jake and every one else loving it. Liam, you are right about the low, wide, with big wheels design, but doing that on your current deck doesnt really work. Yours is more of an all around board, but you could get a downhill style board for something that rides that way.

I just put some abec grippins on my dropspeed yesterday Jake, it is lower then when i have my flywheels on and it corners like fucking crazy… FAST with almost no drift, its awesome.

I am building a board too, when it is done i will post photos.

June 29, 2007, 5:24 p.m.

Right on Jake and every one else loving it. Liam, you are right about the low, wide, with big wheels design, but doing that on your current deck doesnt really work. Yours is more of an all around board, but you could get a downhill style board for something that rides that way.

So that would make for more of a high speed setup then? Why would someone want a taller, narrower setup like mine for general cruising?

[edit] I also love that either some lurker signed up for an account just to hate on this thread, or some current user signed up for a new account because they were afraid of backlash on their 'main account'. :lol:

June 29, 2007, 5:37 p.m.

I had a gf who liked to skate, and had a long and a short board, so I tried to get into both.

I think I'll stick to things I'm good at. I'd get speed wobbles so fast…I quit before I got seriously hurt.

June 29, 2007, 5:41 p.m.

i just got a sector nine. It's a cross between a bowl ripper and cruiser. Every day I bomb Melville st downtown from burrard station down to the aquarium.

Intersting Dogs Playing Poker motif. I thought everyone hated those paintings…maybe that's why it's on a board. To be ironic.

June 29, 2007, 6:34 p.m.

So that would make for more of a high speed setup then? Why would someone want a taller, narrower setup like mine for general cruising?

[edit] I also love that either some lurker signed up for an account just to hate on this thread, or some current user signed up for a new account because they were afraid of backlash on their 'main account'. :lol:

taller board with narrower trucks will be able to carve tighter and be more nimble for say ripping around downtown, but a race board will carry momentum better and normally be lower for easier pushing, but heavier… pros and cons

June 29, 2007, 10:57 p.m.

taller board with narrower trucks will be able to carve tighter and be more nimble for say ripping around downtown, but a race board will carry momentum better and normally be lower for easier pushing, but heavier… pros and cons

Ah right on, that's what I was looking for.

Is there ANY downside to big, soft wheels?