Asbestos Problem

Aug. 1, 2017, 7:35 p.m.

A few of my tiles in my basement bathroom started sagging down and cracked as a result.  So I took it out to find that there were a few layers of rotten plywood due to water damage and vinyl tiles underneath.  I left it for a bit and eventually led to an eyesore.  I also wanted to replace the existing tiles because they were also quite old as well.

So I was like, fuck it, and brought tools to remove it.  I've now completely removed the plywood with vinyl tiles sandwiched in between and placed all the junk in garbage bags.  But I did some random research afterwards to find out that there's a high likelihood of asbestos in the vinyl tiles. 

I'll have to admit that I had to use a grinder to cut up pieces of the underlying floor to remove them during the process, so that added quite a bit of dust flying around.  I did have exhaust fans running and wore a respirator during the removal process though atleast.

I've just dropped off three samples of vinyl floor tiles for asbestos testing and will wait to hear back from results. 

I feel pretty shit right now knowing that the house could be contaminated and have no idea how bad it is.  I've bought a Honeywell HEPA air purifier and did a wipe down on my basement for the time being.  

For those that had to deal with hazardous materials, is there anything I can do to help contain the problem at hand?

Aug. 1, 2017, 8:04 p.m.

Well, if it's any consolation I've been through it. My buddy had an asbestos removal company and told me it's gotten to the point it's a scam. <span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Companies with vested interests setting policy, etc.</span>

Ultimately he said be worried if you're removing asbestos for a living.

Aug. 1, 2017, 8:27 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Well, if it's any consolation I've been through it. My buddy had an asbestos removal company and told me it's gotten to the point it's a scam. Companies with vested interests setting policy, etc.

Ultimately he said be worried if you're removing asbestos for a living.

Yup the death rate is somewhere in the range of 10-20 per million people. There are many other things that are far worse. People dying of mesothelioma are most likely to have been working in industries that saw significant exposure to asbestos. things like the shipping industry, etc. It's only a problem when the ACM's are broken up and the asbestos fibres become airborne. The current outlook mainly comes down to risk exposure for worker's compensation and insurance companies imo. I wouldn't grind the stuff up, but I wouldn't worry panic about pulling up a few old vinyl tiles in my basement either.

Aug. 2, 2017, 8:34 a.m.

I think the exposure issue is really more of a concern for those working with asbestos containing materials all day every day. In its natural state, asbestos if you looked at it microscopically are a bunches of small rolled up sheets. This is why natural asbestos forms fibres. The dust will be various sizes of needle like fibres. Large particles can be filtered before they are inhaled, tiny ones can be cleared by the lungs but in between sizes will impale lung tissue and if you inhale enough you can get asbestosis and mesothelioma. Asbestos is not chemically toxic but physically toxic. So how much asbestos is in those vinyl asbestos tiles and how much actual asbestos fibres were released? Probably very little. Silicosis from handling Fiberglas insulation is probably more of a hazard. Or cutting a carbon fibre handlebar.

Aug. 2, 2017, 1:33 p.m.

Discovering asbestos is a key drama plot point in all the home reno shows my wife watches.  Will they find it? How much of their reno budget will get eaten up by removal? How will Bryan Baeumler / Scott McGillivray / Mike Holmes save the day?!

Aug. 2, 2017, 4:43 p.m.

Asbestos and mold - that's the deadly combo.

Aug. 2, 2017, 6:33 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Asbestos and mold - that's the deadly combo.

I sprinkle that shit on my cornflakes for breakfast

Aug. 3, 2017, 12:30 p.m.

A buddy had asbetos shingles/siding on his house so he stripped em off dragged the trailer outa town up into the bush somewhere and buried them where they will be safe

Aug. 3, 2017, 3:40 p.m.

Nothing like illegal/hazardous dumping to give you that feeling of accomplishment and environmental friendliness.

Posted by: XXX_er

A buddy had asbetos shingles/siding on his house so he stripped em off dragged the trailer outa town up into the bush somewhere and buried them where they will be safe

Aug. 3, 2017, 6:16 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Nothing like illegal/hazardous dumping to give you that feeling of accomplishment and environmental friendliness.

He was told to get rid of it asbestos he can.

Aug. 3, 2017, 6:33 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Ummm. What?

Aug. 3, 2017, 10:23 p.m.

You son of a bitch.

I laughed.

Aug. 4, 2017, 6:20 p.m.

You son of a bitch.

I laughed.

Makes two of us.

Sept. 20, 2017, 10:24 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

You son of a bitch.

I laughed.

Makes two of us.

Three.

Sept. 22, 2017, 6:41 p.m.

Four.