asbestos duct tape removal...

Jan. 8, 2019, 6:37 p.m.

i'm asking this because i remember a thread awhile ago about asbestos.  

my situation is that i live in a 60s home with an oil furnace close to the same vintage, and the duct work is taped with asbestos tape.  i plan to remove the oil furnace and duct work and just rely on our wood stove.  the wood heat should travel better upstairs through the open vents.  i'm thinking, i can wrap the asbestos tape with normal duct tape, then remove the ducts by cutting it in pieces, leaving the taped joints in tact.  

does this sound stupid?  thanks

Jan. 8, 2019, 6:50 p.m.

Soak the tape with water and when it's softened up you can easily pull or scrape it off. Just make sure to keep it wet and the fibres won't get airborne which is where the danger lies.

For disposal there are specific bags you need to put asbestos waste in and last I checked the one place that would take it is the Vancouver Land Fill in delta.

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 8, 2019, 6:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 9, 2019, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: johnny_deformed

i can wrap the asbestos tape with normal duct tape, then remove the ducts by cutting it in pieces, leaving the taped joints in tact.  

This is very reasonable, and probably the safest way to remove it.  You probably have to dispose of the entire ductwork as "asbestos-containing".  

Btw, sometimes it's the mastic that contains as well (not just the tape), so don't disturb that.

Jan. 9, 2019, 6:26 p.m.

Good point. Some caulking & mastic had asbestos in it back in the day.