Are you a good person/How to argue

Feb. 4, 2019, 2:12 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

This thread reminds me.  We haven't had a good mass debate about religion lately ....

Have not had a proper mass debate in what feels like ages, true. 

There have been quite a few members who are sorely missed, kind of.

Feb. 4, 2019, 9:12 a.m.

Has anyone seen Gooch?

Feb. 5, 2019, 7:40 p.m.

Imajin the days where partbreaker took it big, or when discowitch would post.

I wonder what pedro thinks about vancouver real estate now.

Feb. 5, 2019, 8:33 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

I actually sent him a pm about 6-7 years back and he figured the market was still overdue for a drop and it was bound to happen. He seemed a bit resigned to the fact that it went much further up than he thought it would but was still not a fan of Vancouver r/e. The thing is tho we are so far removed from those days that if you had bought at that time (10yrs ago) and we saw say a 50% correction from the peak of last summer people would still be coming out ahead. Unless there is some sort of global cataclysmic event, I don't see that happening. And if it does, well we're all fooked anyways.

Feb. 5, 2019, 9:20 p.m.

I remember Awrai & the boob thread.....sigh.

Feb. 5, 2019, 11:59 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I actually sent him a pm about 6-7 years back and he figured the market was still overdue for a drop and it was bound to happen. He seemed a bit resigned to the fact that it went much further up than he thought it would but was still not a fan of Vancouver r/e. The thing is tho we are so far removed from those days that if you had bought at that time (10yrs ago) and we saw say a 50% correction from the peak of last summer people would still be coming out ahead. Unless there is some sort of global cataclysmic event, I don't see that happening. And if it does, well we're all fooked anyways.

Some people are now losing a lot more than their shirts.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/five-examples-of-metro-vancouver-homeowners-losing-big-in-a-plunging-market?fbclid=IwAR1trVDRk21ucn6IOTqRpAZznfJJRkOanu0MbKalfimkfwLX-lJ_h0o5fyI

Feb. 6, 2019, 1:08 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/five-examples-of-metro-vancouver-homeowners-losing-big-in-a-plunging-market?fbclid=IwAR1trVDRk21ucn6IOTqRpAZznfJJRkOanu0MbKalfimkfwLX-lJ_h0o5fyI

Nice! By the looks of things all those properties were purchased by speculators who were either dumb or reckless or maybe a combo of both so who cares. My point was more to people who have bought homes about a decade or so ago and are living in them for their primary residences vs people trading housing as a commodity. Your link features homes bought in the past two years, not 10yrs ago. The difference in market valuation between 10yrs ago and 2yrs ago is fucking HUGE.

Personally I think it's funny to see those sorts of buyers taking a bath.

Last edited by: syncro on Feb. 6, 2019, 1:56 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
Reason: to protect RMat's feelings
Feb. 6, 2019, 7:48 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Nice! By the looks of things all those properties were purchased by speculators who were either dumb or reckless or maybe a combo of both so who cares. My point was more to people who have bought homes about a decade or so ago and are living in them for their primary residences vs people trading housing as a commodity. Your link features homes bought in the past two years, not 10yrs ago. The difference in market valuation between 10yrs ago and 2yrs ago is fucking HUGE.

Personally I think it's funny to see those sorts of buyers taking a bath.

Yes, I saw that.  I was just bringing up what is happening now because stuff like this hasn't happened in ten years.

Feb. 8, 2019, 3 p.m.

Well if we're still taking suggestions, perhaps I can offer some insight from my angle(s).

- be prepared to be taken to task

- give points where points are due, even if you're not trying to win or are currently losing. 

- stay the fuck on topic and let past things go (ie: ebola anyone?)

- youtube clips: if you cant copy and paste a title and time length, at least give us a synopsis. The typed title helps search functions.

- dont be so sensitive. its the internet, there is only text and context. No body language or tone. One can always ask for clarity.

Oct. 14, 2021, 11:25 a.m.

Sooooo, we've had our global cataclysmic event and r/e in Vancouver still seems to be going up, if slightly stalled at the moment.

As a homeowner, am I a bad person for not wanting the r/e market to crash? It's almost like humor, it's funny as long as it's not happening to you. In the mean time I'll keep peering into my crystal ball for the date when the r/e market will crash so I can perfectly time selling my place, living in a van for a year and then buying a better home for way less money that what I'll sell the current place for. Paypal me $100 and I'll send you the date as well.

On a side note, or I guess main note based on the thread topic, it seems we've been doing pretty good around here in avoiding the useless angry shitposting about political nonsense for the most part.

Oct. 14, 2021, 12:30 p.m.

Yeah.. I damn near doubled my money in 5 years buying a place. I'm looking at selling and moving even further north island to a nicer house for the same money, a realllly nice house for more money. Or a shittier house for less money and less mortgage. Not sure what my plays gunna be yet haha.