Are you a good person/How to argue

Jan. 27, 2019, 8:45 p.m.

After a lot of reflecting on how much of a complete dick I can be in certain situations, I've come to realize my triggers.  From here on in, I am going to strive to not get so fucking angry under these circumstances.

It's important to have belief's.  Have them.  But BE PREPARED TO KICK THEM TO THE CURB.

If you are discussing a topic and find yourself nutpicking, stop what you are doing.  Do not post.  You are not Sean Hannity and you will only alienate yourself.

If you are discussing a topic and find yourself addressing 80% of the rebuttals, give yourself a bit of a pat on the back but then have a good sit down and ask yourself if this is something you're cut out for.

Right or wrong, do you address every point brought before you?  Yes?  Awesome my human, you're doing it.  We're going to get somewhere.  But, you need to ask yourself if you wear your underwear on your head.  If it's the latter, well, you get what you get.

There are a lot of smart people here but too often important points are ignored in hopes their viewpoints can "win".  I have no idea what you will win, but you're a dumbass.

Stop that.

Jan. 28, 2019, 2:24 a.m.

Are you talking to yourself here, kind of like in the Roman Empereror Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations"?

Anyways, the first idea of not getting so fucking angry is pretty good.

Jan. 28, 2019, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

It's important to have belief's.  

It is.  And I believe that capital punishment should be reinstated for apostrophe abuse.

https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

Jan. 28, 2019, 9:54 a.m.

After a lot of reflecting on how much of a complete dick I can be in certain situations, I've come to realize my triggers.  From here on in, I am going to strive to not get so fucking angry under these circumstances.

It's important to have belief's.  Have them.  But BE PREPARED TO KICK THEM TO THE CURB.

If you are discussing a topic and find yourself nutpicking, stop what you are doing.  Do not post.  You are not Sean Hannity and you will only alienate yourself.

If you are discussing a topic and find yourself addressing 80% of the rebuttals, give yourself a bit of a pat on the back but then have a good sit down and ask yourself if this is something you're cut out for.

Right or wrong, do you address every point brought before you?  Yes?  Awesome my human, you're doing it.  We're going to get somewhere.  But, you need to ask yourself if you wear your underwear on your head.  If it's the latter, well, you get what you get.

There are a lot of smart people here but too often important points are ignored in hopes their viewpoints can "win".  I have no idea what you will win, but you're a dumbass.

Stop that.

I don't get angry very often, but I do maybe tend to try and push buttons for a win.  So I hear ya.  And nutpicking is my new favourite word.

Jan. 28, 2019, 1:04 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

It's important to have belief's.  

It is.  And I believe that capital punishment should be reinstated for apostrophe abuse.

https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

I knew you'd be there for me.

Jan. 28, 2019, 1:09 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Are you talking to yourself here, kind of like in the Roman Empereror Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations"?

Anyways, the first idea of not getting so fucking angry is pretty good.

Easy to say when you don't care.  I end up caring a little too much about things that impact our lives.

I don't ignore points others bring up.

Jan. 28, 2019, 1:20 p.m.

We singing Kumbaya next ?

Jan. 28, 2019, 1:30 p.m.

If so, I'll bring the smores.

Jan. 28, 2019, 1:48 p.m.

Stop that.

If I had a doller for everyti...

Jan. 28, 2019, 3:05 p.m.

Not even touching this one.🙈🙉🙊

Jan. 28, 2019, 3:16 p.m.

I'm here for the comedy

Jan. 28, 2019, 4 p.m.

I never get as angry as I used to but I seem to be much better at making others so these days.

Jan. 28, 2019, 4:31 p.m.

I work in a public high school.  I've started meditating.  It helps.  

I'd be stoked to see the world get together for a barbecue or something, roll a few numbers, put on an old record, and embrace shared humanity.  Not likely to happen I know.

Jan. 28, 2019, 5:46 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I never get as angry as I used to but I seem to be much better at making others so these days.

that tends to happen when you change your debate/discussion style and start using the rules/principles of critical thinking. it seems people have a more difficult time responding to pointed questions about their opinions when they don't have any support for their position.

Jan. 28, 2019, 5:57 p.m.

Stop that.

Everybody wants to win, or to uphold their beliefs. It's natural as one's beliefs form part of their identity and when someone else challenges those beliefs they are in essence challenging the identity of who you are as a person. That's not an easy thing to back away from but is easy to get emotional (angry) about depending on the topic and it's importance in one's life. One thing I've come to learn is not whether you actually have the support to show your position is correct, or at least more correct than another, but deciding before hand how important a battle this is and whether the time you'll invest in the discussion is worth it. Sometimes it's best to just say your piece once, succinctly and clearly as possible and leave it at that. Majority of the time though if you actually ask someone to prove their case with some sort of supporting information they'll just spew some nonsense or leave the conversation altogether. It can be hella fun to debate stuff, especially if the other person understands the process of critical thinking and uses that the discussion.