Are we screwed? Is Humanity Doomed?

Are we on a downward sprial from which there is no return?

Yes
66.7%
No
33.3%
Total votes: 12
March 2, 2019, 12:04 p.m.

I've always paid some attention to news items on the health of the planet and latest increased rise of climate change new has been disturbing but unfortunately not surprising. I just read another plastics article this morning about the level of plastics in out oceans and how it's found pretty much everywhere now, even in the deepest and most remote parts of the ocean floors.  Are we done as a species, or at least about to be relegated to a minor species sent back to a life of subsistence living? If so, how long till it happens and why does it seem like most people don't care all that much? Is it because any sort of cataclysmic event or biological upheaval is not going to happen in our lifetime so we can just ignore it? what about those of you with young kids, what about their future?

I'm honestly starting to lean more towards the side of a major human die-off due to some a global environmental collapse of some sort. If that tipping point is reach I don't think humanity as we know it will survive. I think humans will survive in some capacity, but the days of ordering shiny new bike parts online and having them show up at your doorstep a few days later are going to disappear. It's crazy to think how amazing this planet is and based on how long life has been here humans have managed to destroy it in a few seconds. We're literally just an insignificant blip in the history of the planet yet we've managed to fuck it up in a way that could very well be the end of us.

It's an unpleasant thought, unless of course we can pull ourselves back from the abyss. Do you think it's possible?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 2, 2019, 12:26 p.m.

I am trying to be optimistic. Besides climate change issues I feel the main issue is the production and consumption of plastic. It's poisoning our environment big time. Next time you buy groceries look at how much plastic is used for packaging, it's sickening, really bothers me.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on March 2, 2019, 12:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 2, 2019, 1:09 p.m.

Humans are trash.

It makes me uncontrollably mad. All of the amazing things we've accomplished are completely valueless in the face of the destruction of our only habitat. We are truly fucked and there is nothing we can do about it. Humans are too selfish and the average person has literally no control in the grand scheme of things when compared to the power of huge companies just pumping endless shit in to the environment with no signs of stopping or change. 

Humans are trash.

Last edited by: thaaad on March 2, 2019, 1:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 2, 2019, 1:19 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I am trying to be optimistic. Besides climate change issues I feel the main issue is the production and consumption of plastic. It's poisoning our environment big time. Next time you buy groceries look at how much plastic is used for packaging, it's sickening, really bothers me.

That's what inspired my post, after reading this article in The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/02/deepest-ocean-trenches-animals-eat-plastic/583657/

March 2, 2019, 1:55 p.m.

There's already a long running thread on this, but, whatever.

https://www.millenniumassessment.org/en/About.html

Last edited by: tungsten on March 2, 2019, 2:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 2, 2019, 2:01 p.m.

If we were all in together we might stand a chance. But as it stands now, we're doomed. The sitting president of the most powerful country in the world is a climate denier FFS.

And they just hired this gemstone to put a little more weight on the accelerator

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/01/698073442/heres-the-white-houses-top-climate-change-skeptic

March 2, 2019, 2:30 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

If we were all in together we might stand a chance.

What would that look like?  I honestly think the single biggest challenge is population control. We could all live a comfortable lifestyle that even included moderate levels of excess if there weren't simply so many of us on the planet. How do you tell people that not everyone can have kids and is it even possible to force population and reproduction strategies on humanity?

March 2, 2019, 5:01 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

If we were all in together we might stand a chance.

What would that look like?  I honestly think the single biggest challenge is population control. We could all live a comfortable lifestyle that even included moderate levels of excess if there weren't simply so many of us on the planet. How do you tell people that not everyone can have kids and is it even possible to force population and reproduction strategies on humanity?

I was talking way more basic, like accepting basic scientific fact.

Sadly that appears to be a big step for a large number of us.

I believe that knowledge is our only path to making it, though a lot of good that does when after 12 years of education someone decides the earth is flat. 😬

March 2, 2019, 5:11 p.m.

I think my generation will certainly continue to see the changes in our weather etc. However I do think my kids, in their lifetime, will see mass migration as humans head north and south to escape extreme heat, lack of water and the inability to grow food.

Then again if you’re a Trumper, well it’s all a hoax and we have nothing to worry about. Carry on. 🤘

Last edited by: FLATCH on March 2, 2019, 5:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 2, 2019, 5:32 p.m.

Having studied cell biology and genetic engineering for seven years you can appreciate that your post follows along my life ethos mentality.  I constantly observe the world and what is going on and try to be optimistic but.....

We are doomed.

If the culture that built the pyramids and other esoteric structures around the world (Easter Island, Peru, Indonesia as we are finding out;  check out the work by Graham Hancock for reference...I have about a dozen books on the subject) couldn't do it and survive what hope do we have?  Look at our "leaders".  Trump, Turdeau......

The western world is so wrapped up on banning plastic straws.....check out the plastic being put into streams in Indonesia.....

David Suzuki propagates the idea of global warming...in fact it is getting cooler...and on the carbon footprint...well, ask him about his 3 houses.

As it stands, as Mother Nature did with the dinosaurs, She finally decided that the path was at an end....no further hope for evolution and development.  Look what happened.   I only think of when and where.   I guess you really do reap what you sow.

Think of simple population.    8 Billion. All wanting the same life you and I have and take for granted.  Stop and think of the resources that would have to be harvested for that.  And the sustainability......food......we are so far from that it is no wonder 1/3rd of the world is in abject poverty.   Maybe by design?

I am just as wasteful as any of you.  I try to do more, but on a global scale, it is nothing.  China and India use how many coal fired plants to make electricty (coal that we happily send to them...check out the docks on North Van for that evidence) and we are asked to not turn up our heat in winter so that we can sell more energy to the US at a premium......

Sushi restaurants can't use paper takeout trays....how many out there like sushi like me?

We all need a new Tacoma to get our new bike (Carbon most likely...all resin and organic fibre that is riddled with waste byproduct that does not biodegrade or is toxic in itself) that takes in gasoline......

How much further do I have to go on this.

If you want to play, you have to pay.   But most of us don't know the real cost of admission so we can't understand the final bill.  And unlike a poor restaurant, there is no skipping the bill here.

I hope I can ride tomorrow.....speaking of which....

March 2, 2019, 7:46 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176533/tomgram%3A_alfred_mccoy%2C_climate_change_as_the_end_game_for_u.s._global_power/#more

Last edited by: tungsten on March 2, 2019, 7:55 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 3, 2019, 12:33 a.m.

that's the reason i don't have kids (also not liking them)

March 3, 2019, 10:16 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

that's the reason i don't have kids (also not liking them)

Agreed, I also did my part, no offspring. However, my younger sibling has 3 so totally negates my efforts. 

I think humanity is equivalent to the cockroach now, too worthless to vanish completely even when faced w/an extinction level event.

March 3, 2019, 12:39 p.m.

I was talking way more basic, like accepting basic scientific fact.

Sadly that appears to be a big step for a large number of us.

I believe that knowledge is our only path to making it, though a lot of good that does when after 12 years of education someone decides the earth is flat. 😬

I agree that knowledge/education is the first step and imo the first step to solving most of humanities issues. I also think that the sooner we all act the greater the chance that we can pull ourselves back from the abyss. However, when much of the world's population is focused on day to day survival and the rest are enjoying comfortable lifestyle they're probably not willing to give up or alter too much the idea of saving ourselves seems like an impossible task. 

Maybe a better question is what are we willing to give up and can it make enough of a difference. For example, pretty much any talk of road pricing to try and decrease auto usage is typically met with significant backlash. Or how some sort of taxation policy on meat and processed food products? The meat industry is responsible for more GHG emissions that the auto industry yet when it comes to climate change the meat industry rarely seems to figure into the equation. On a smaller scale what would you (or I) give up to help "save humanity"? Drive only 1-2 times per week? Eat meat maybe 1-2 times per month? Reuse items such as clothing, housewares, furniture or even mobile phones more often? It seems that there are a lot of ways to reduce one's own ecological footprint yet our societal obsession with image seems to make those things a non-starter for a lot of people.

March 3, 2019, 12:41 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

those that will be in the largest number, don't presently share the concerns of the kind of people reading this website (more assumptions...). your kids kids will probably be their slaves or just killed off.

yeah similar thoughts have crossed my mind. while we may be able to change the value system of our own society how do we do that for other societies?